cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range Rover’s PR stunt to brave the Darién Gap was a baptism by fire—and swamp

In 1971, sport-utility vehicles were still decades away from their current market saturation point. The rugged workhorses were viewed mostly as task-focused conveyances for those whose daily driving habits took them well off the beaten path. A sea change was clearly coming, however. More and more Americans were drawn to Broncos, Blazers, and Wagoneers as vehicles for exploring their vast, open country. Paved roads were optional.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/range-rover-darien-gap-history/

Replies (16)

Replies (16)

Great story.

Thanks.

It brought back lots of good memories.

In 1971 my brother and I were already keen Land Rover enthusiasts so we were very excited to learn that the British Trans-Americas Expedition would be passing through our home town. Our friend David Rocksborough-Smith (take that Blashford-Snell) was an expert in marketing and PR and arranged a meeting with the team when they were in Vancouver. The visit included a ride in the expedition Range Rovers. I remember being amazed when the young soldier behind the wheel demonstrated the superiority of coil springs by driving into plowed field at about 50 kph. None of my teeth fell out! We followed the progress of the Alaska-Cape Horn trip with great interest as we worked on our own adventure, a five person two Land Rover 18 month trip from Vancouver to the southern tip of South America including a pleasant boat ride from Panama to Colombia in order to avoid the infamous Darien Gap. 

Passenger

A group of Jeep CJs and a full size Cherokee made it through in 1978, there's a movie! Search for "1978 Jeep Expedition of the Americas" on youtube

New Driver

GM succeeded with Corvairs 10 years earlier!  Though one of them is still out in the swamp, I believe two or three got through the Darien Gap!!!  With a lot of help....

Pit Crew

Fascinating story! Having served in the military during the Viet Nam “conflict”, I recall how dense the jungle could be. I can only imagine the experience of these soldiers getting these Rovers to achieve some marketing guy's vision. Maybe the marketing people should be required to do these things!!

New Driver

The series one Land Rover mentioned that was used for trail breaking made it possible.

Any pics of that rescuing range rovers?

Pit Crew

Met a Brit living in the Napa Valley who told me a story of using his Land Rover to pull these Range Rovers thru the gap. He had bought hisLand Rover as military surplus and proceeded to drive it around the world. His helping the Range Rovers was just part of the adventure. After the tour of the world via Land Rover he became a bush pilot in Alaska. I was lucky to receive a birthday flight in his Stahl stol, amazing to see where he could put that plane down and get it back into the air.

He still had his Land Rover as of a few years ago, now with a Chevy engine installed. 

Passenger

I had heard of this adventure. It makes the press launch of Range Rover in Canada in 1990 to the top of Mount

Seven BC a walk in th park. 

Alan

Passenger

The Corvairs' trip is shown in a movie "Daring the Darien".

Passenger

What engines and transmissions did these vehicles have? Dan

Passenger

Sounds like a job for a Sherp!

Navigator

So what we’ve learned from this colossal expenditure of manpower and resources is that the Range Rover is essentially useless in the jungle but quite adequate for “less demanding, fully-charted, mostly on-road ride[s].“ 

Pit Crew

An automotive Fitzcarraldo!!!

Leave it up to the Brits

Passenger

One reason that there is no road through the Darien Gap is to attempt to stem drug running from Colombia.

Pit Crew

I would like to see the same trip done today, but using an American 4x4 fitted out similar to the Land Rover, and see how today's vehicles compare with yesterdays.

Pit Crew

First time I have ever heard a Range Rover referred to as a truck. 

New Driver

GM tried the same with 4 Corvair ten years earlier.

Pit Crew