cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

"We never thought you'd make it!" Remembering Norman Dewis' overnight race against the clock | Hagerty Media

The sun's still a distant dream, there's low mist, and you're just off the boat. Ostend, Belgium, seems many miles away from home in Britain, but your final destination in Switzerland is further still. You're in the most exciting car to have been launched in a generation and the press and public can't get enough.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/we-never-thought-youd-make-it-remembering-norman-de...
10 REPLIES 10
edddurst-gmail
Intermediate Driver

Biggest mistake I ever made was to get rid of my '65 E-type.
Chris_Eddy
New Driver

Amazing - same thing - the biggest mistake I ever made was selling my 65 FHC - midnight blue with a Webasto sunroof ..... it had a tricked up motor with D Type cams and special flywheel and used to go hard - exhilarating machine to drive ...... I used to love how the long bonnet used to visibly rise under acceleration .... what a car ....I have been captivated ever since ...
drhino
Instructor

The last paragraph is spot on. That was going to be my comment; but the author beat me to it.
Punk
Detailer

The 1960s was the greatest decade for British motorcars. And the E-Type is the star of that show. Probably always will be. Everywhere I go in my '64 drophead people recognize it after 60 years and are still blown away by it. As spring begins here in the northwest, I was able to take it out last Saturday. It never fails to thrill. Its so low, so fast The sound from the 3.8 so exciting in every regard. Unlike so many posters here, I will never sell my car. I have owned it since 1990, and my son anxiously waits for me to die...
86GTB
New Driver

Totally amazing car! I remember when they could be had for $5,000 or less... 20/20 hindsight.
However, I'm a bit confused...if Mr. Dewis drove the roadster to Geneva, how is it that the show car on the floor is a coupe?
DougL
Intermediate Driver

I remember when the advertised price for a brand new one was only $5500 US.
JSievers
Advanced Driver

An amazing time and an amazing drive. 150 mph in a mass production car on a public highway in 1961. Almost beyond belief for the time, and still incredible today.
Zephyr
Instructor

Wait - Jaguar's service manager was named Lofty England?
ctaarman
Intermediate Driver

Lest we forget, the XKE was primarily designed in the mid to late 50's as a result of Jaguar's racing experience. The body was an evolution from the successful C and D types. The innovative rear end with inboard brakes a new design, but the 3.8L DOHC engine and 4 speed transmission lifted directly from the previous XK150S. By the time it hit production, the racing department was long gone and with it the really differentiated and innovative breakthroughs that had been Jaguar. Lyons sold out to British Leyland a few years later and Jaguar has never been the same.

Today it spends all its money on advertising, making generic looking vehicles that have very marginal support once they reach the end of their five year warranties, as witnessed by their poor resale values.
uweschmidt
Detailer

Another wonderful Story about real Men and the Magic they did Weave Bravo