cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The Foosenberg?" Redesigning a period-correct Duesenberg | Chip Foose Draws a Car - Ep. 8

The "Doozy" nickname came into pop culture for good reason: Duesenberg's superior engineering inspired the term of praise and admiration, and, over 80 years after the company went defunct, the monker still has merit. Chip Foose never had the honor of transforming a Duesenberg into a "Foosenberg," so, in this latest video, he puts himself in the place of a proper coachbuilder of the prewar era. This is not a restomod by any stretch of the imagination.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/chip-foose-redesigning-a-period-correct-duesenberg/

Replies (17)

Replies (17)

Please leave your hands off a real Duesenberg.  And for Gods sake, don't compare what you build to a real Duesenberg.  Go back to building your low riders and stay away from the beautiful classics.

Pit Crew

Relax, people.  It's just a picture.  If it was a total custom from the ground up, people would think it was beautiful but because it has a Duesenberg chassis, some people get all wound up.  I think it looks cool.  Would I want to hack up a restored original?  No.  But I am always curioius to see what Chip's imagination provides.

Pit Crew

Chip is a true artist 

Passenger

At this point I have to believe that Hagerty is just calling Chip in to draw cars so that people will post angry comments. Please consider this an angry comment about how there was nothing wrong with what is my favorite car of all time. If I had unlimited funds to purchase an automobile I would have a Dusenberg SJ Coupe Convertible and the only thing I would want to change about it would be that the it would use flexible brake lines instead of the system of ports that run through the suspension to provide hydraulic pressure. Again, let Chip finish out his contract as the janitor at your offices and stop letting him make people angry.

Intermediate Driver

Really? Why is everyone soooo angry? Must be cooped up Covid anxiety. Chip's drawing reminds me of a 540 Mercedes. If someone really had the money and a derelict Duesy to resto-mod than go for it. Fabricating one from scratch would be preferred as even derelict Duesy parts are worth salvaging. In my artistic career, many times have I drawn modified versions of timeless and irreplaceable classics. Let it go. Nice work Chip. Always fun to watch a master at work.

Intermediate Driver

I love it, how about a Mercedes 540K?  

As far as the other comments: when you have a Duesenberg, do what you want, that was what they did with Duesenbergs back then, so for God's sake why can't Chip do it?  "I haven’t seen Chip sawing any fine grained ash wood sourced from the Western Appalachians lately. "  Then you prove him wrong!

Pit Crew

Sheesh! These drawings really bring out the haters. Once again, no classic car was harmed in the making of this video. Personally, I think Chip pays proper respect to what a Duesenberg was and what a modern build (hewing to traditional construction methods and styling memes) might look like. I like what he came up with and see a little Mercedes, a little Saoutchik and a little Figoni et Falaschi in various elements of the design - all in period. If someone had a suitable chassis with no or worthless bodywork, they could do a lot worse than to let Mr. Foose be their coachbuilder. As he points out, they were all customs in their day.

Intermediate Driver

Chip Foose to me is a cartoon His wheels on Muscle Cars are ugly they do not look good who needs 16 to 20 inch wheels on a 1967 to 1969 Camaro they look like ----!

Passenger

The video that answers the automotive equivalent of "What if Leonardo gave the Mona Lisa a boob job?"

Intermediate Driver

It's pretty clear that Hagerty is only aiming for click bait when they they hang up the Foose Pinata to get whacked with a stick by classic car lovers. Likely the ridiculous kustom E-type abomination he created was a major click ratings hit out of anger and hate and contempt for Foose. All of it fully deserved. So now we get this. More to come, sadly.

Pit Crew

Hagerty, PLEASE stop promoting this idiotic cartoonist.  His ideas suck.

Intermediate Driver

I really love the Duesenberg and what Chip has done. Would you think he might consider kicking the bottom of the grille out perhaps 3 or 4 degrees at the bottom to give it a slight rake backwards adding to the already flowing lines he has added.

Pit Crew

Check out the 1935 Gary Cooper Duesenberg that sold at auction for 22 million. It was built on a 125" wheelbase and frankly looks stubby along side Chip's rendering. He was smart to use a longer wheelbase.

Car and driver actually drove that car in 2016 and the story can be found by googling. Very interesting as while the car has a very powerful engine the ergonomics, transmission and brakes leave a lot to be desired. Chip would no doubt improve on that.

Intermediate Driver

Years ago, in Lost Wages for my brother in law's wedding, went to the Imperial Palace to see their car collection.  At that time, they purportedly had the most Deusenbergs in their collection. I went throught the other cars first, very enjoyable, and then entered the Deusenberg exhibit.  I don't remember how many were there, and all except one were most beautifully executed ART!  However, there was one there that I'd be glad to have Chip do his "magic".  I stared at it and wondered "what was the owner or coachbuilder thinking". The body of the car was like a bloated whale, painted black, and seemed like one of the bloated "British royal coaches" that were drawn by a couple of teams of horses. Not meaning to offend anyone, but to me that was the most hideous travesty rolling on a Deusenberg chassis.  Chip Foose would have a ball bringing that one back to the glory that it should have had when it was new!

Pit Crew

That’s not awful, it’s a lot better than the “improvements” he made on the XK-E recently. Still hope he never gets his hands on a real Duesenberg.

Passenger

I wanna see what Chip can do with something that is a mess and needs improving, like one of those home improvement shows. Take a butt ugly car and make it into something. Now THAT would show artistry creativity and style. 

New Driver

I just knew there would be a lot of angry comments. How dare Chip draw a picture on a piece of paper! Outrageous! to say nothing of the fact that the original bodies were all custom, and cars were often rebodied, so how is this any different. If you were shown this rendering without knowing who had done it, but told that it was a French design from the early 30's, you'd believe it.

Intermediate Driver