cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Project Arrow, Canada's home-grown vehicle of the future, is slowly becoming reality | Hagerty Media

As a people, Canadians lament the loss of the Avro Canada CF-105 fighter jet, fondly known as the Avro Arrow. Developed in the 1950s in the Toronto suburbs, it had a projected maximum speed over Mach 2, which made it a beacon of post-war optimism and a source of pride for all Canadians.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-elsinore-files/project-arrow-canadas-home-grown-vehicle-of...
17 REPLIES 17
Flashman
Instructor

Excellent article, aimed right at the heart of Canadians; I hope your American readers can appreciate it. Except for Nickelback; that was comic relief, right?
NorthernDon
Intermediate Driver

Haha, good one!
PRScott
Detailer

Coulda been worse ,, they might have said justin beiber
Rob1
Instructor

John George Diefenbaker our 13th Prime minister sure put the blocks to Canadians and put the hurt on the Conservative party for years with his ill decision to cancel the Avro Arrow what a fool,that said great article no mention of the band Rush.LOL R
MWL
Pit Crew

Neither Rush nor Triumph, nor the Guess Who, or Bachman Turner Overdrive, or Paul Shaffer, or Michael Buble....The author is obviously not a music fan.... 😉

NorthernDon
Intermediate Driver

Oh my goodness, the scars still run deep with the cancelation of the Avro Arrow. Canada was so far out front with the new jet and it had the potential to place the country on a solid footing of future engineering and development paths moving forward. The end of the project cast a dark pall over dreams and ideas for years to follow, what a shame. I've been up close with the Avro mock up plane several times and it's inspiring and humbling to see it, even today decades later. The CASE project is inspiring and let's put our creative minds to work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Bring it on!
TonyT
Instructor

What??! The Canadians aren't proud of Vito Rizzuto? He was the best!
These new approaches to urban transportation strike me more as "follow the leader" as opposed to breakthrough technology. Depending on an artificial intelligence can have serious ramifications regarding passenger safety, to wit: in Great Britain, autonomous automobiles have resulted in people being robbed. The bad guys identify the robot cars and throw a trashcan at the front bumper. The car stops because it thinks it hit something and also automatically unlocks the doors. Presto, "give us the money, luv!" as the crooks take possession of the occupants valuables. It has happened more than once.
Wouldn't Toyota's approach of a fuel cell vehicle make more sense? Until we can use magnetism for propulsion a la Dick Tracy, that's the only viable way forward that I can see. That is, until Porsche perfects its new wonder fuel...
RallyRaid
Intermediate Driver

That robbery scenario should spell the end for autonomous vehicles. Except, of course, that:
1. Unless you’re talking about the autonomous vehicles at Heathrow Airport, a driver is still currently required to be at the controls and can therefore override the autonomous systems at any time.
2. Autonomous vehicles are armed with cameras, making them an unnecessarily dumb target.
3. If you have ever been to a town of more than 100 people, you have probably needed to stop, even in an ICE vehicle, due to concepts such as traffic and red lights (google them). Without counting, I know that, where I’m from, I’ve definitely had to stop in places that would be quite predictable to thieves (they wouldn’t even need to be carrying trash cans around with them) “more than once”.

drhino
Instructor

Sorry guys, this article seems more aligned to Mother Earth News, or Popular Mechanics than an enthusiast “publication”.
DWJ
New Driver

So, how does all this get commercialized? Technology auctioned off to the highest bidder or pieced out to participating companies? Another ultimately disastrous government project a la Bricklin?
Qw
Intermediate Driver

good luck !
uweschmidt
Advanced Driver

Sounds Great but there are Forces at Work that might not let this Happen These things are controlled by Politics and Backroom Negotiations So don't get Your Hopes too High!!
motolargo
Pit Crew

Don't forget Joni Mitchell. I guess that tells you my demographic. High tech, autonomous and shared vehicles translate to high cost/unreliable, dangerous and annoying in that order. What about a simple, rugged and easy to service vehicle with good fuel economy?
George_YYZ
New Driver

As an update to this article, I can confirm that CF-105 Arrow #202 still exists (in pieces, but mostly all there) and with some time, money, and cooperation, it will be restored in Hamilton at some future date. See this article for a little more information: https://www.facebook.com/CanadianWarplaneHeritageMuseum

By the way, I applaud this effort by all concerned, and hope that it grows "legs" and goes the distance! Good luck to the movers and shakers, and for everyone's sake, don't ask the government to sign on as a major partner !!!!!
CJinSD
Instructor

This story reminds me of a sad kid who built an all terrain buggy prototype out of a Capsela motorized construction set for my middle school's science fair. Too bad we didn't live in Canada.
DavidHolzman
Detailer

I find non-humorous irony in promoting this thing as an autonomous car that can take your aging parent to a medical appointment, and it's having acceleration that matches that of today's sports cars.
Swamibob
Instructor

I realize this was posted on April 2nd, but could it really be an April Fool's joke?
This just makes me think of the Bricklin, but involving WAY more money and a far larger fall in the end.
Canada might've been much better served to have purchased the Caterham company, and saved themselves a LOT of money and crying in the process. At least then they would've had a real high quality means of motivation and even get some ROI in the end. This is just another bad EV platform that, in a true competitive market would suffocate under the weight if it's debt to society.