cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Prewar cars, the cornerstone of our hobby, are doing just fine | Hagerty Media

For most of the 20th century, the term "collector car" referred almost exclusively to vehicles built before World War II. In particular, early collectors like William Harrah prized the high-end, largely hand-built prewar luxury cars. Bugattis. Duesenbergs. Delahayes. V-16 Cadillacs. These days, things are a bit different.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/prewar-cars-the-cornerstone-of-our-hobby...
8 REPLIES 8
CitationMan
Instructor

Any idea of the current buyer’s age range? I only see older senior citizens showing these at car shows.
CarlJensen
Pit Crew

As a guy in my 50s, and life long collector of cars ranging from prewar to late model sports cars, I will tell you for pure fun, there is nothing my wife and I enjoy more than a prewar speedster. We have noted there is a shift to younger buyers, but the interest is much more in driving than in showing. Interestingly, the HCCA magazine is fully of young families touring with the earliest cars. Be it a low budget Model T speedster or a Supercharged Auburn, these cars are just fun.
Maestro1
Instructor

John, thank you, the Packard is absolutely stunning. Which is what I think it is.
I have a sense that the Prewars as you say, will be a steady and appreciating influence in the Market and the Hobby for a long time.
Dave404
Detailer

But Carl. There's nothing original about a Model T "Speedster". Ford never made them. It's nothing more than another hacked up hot rod. Maybe you should give a real Model T a try.
PRScott
Detailer

That's like saying the Shelby Cobra is merely an AC Bristol hacked over by a chicken farmer from Texas. Which it is. But it turned out nice anyway !
Dave404
Detailer

Yeah but that "chicken farmer worked for Ford. Speedster people did not. Actually, the Ford executives did built one sporty Model T. Henry Ford took one look at it and smashed it to pieces with a hammer.
CarlJensen
Pit Crew

I have driven alot of Ts. While Ford did not make speedsters, they were grass roots modified in their day with catalog kits, and its a fun entry for the young enthusiast today. The real point was that we find our early cars to be the most fun...and to respond to the original post that see more younger enthusiasts than in the past.
Cornbinder
Intermediate Driver

The problem with the "repeat sales index" is that for the most part you are tracking cars dealer flip to each other. You don't truly establish a value until an actual buyer gets a hold of it. Until then, it's all perceived value.