cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pontiac Trans Am from McQueen’s last movie is up for sale

Two years ago, we shared the crazy story of the 1979 Pontiac Trans Am that Steve McQueen drove in his final movie, The Hunter. And if you’re a McQueen fan, the story just got better: the car is for sale ... Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/pontiac-trans-am-from-mcqueens-last-movie-is-up-for...

Replies (29)

Replies (29)

The transmission would've been a 3 speed automatic, not a 4 speed.  I'm sure some idiot with more money than sense will feel like he's got a real piece of automotive history and wildly overpay for it.  When in reality, he has a pile of parts that was in a movie for 2-3 minutes and got destroyed.  *Gigantic rolling eyes*

Pit Crew

I am sure someone will pay lots for this gem. I'm also confident someone would pay large for a bar stool that James Dean once farted upon. 

Pit Crew

The story is the point here... it's everything! The car is just another piece of junk.

The people who promote and perpetuate this "false rarity, one of a kind, special vehicle" crap are just money grubbing bottom feeders.

Some cars are indeed special, rare, cutting edge, etc. But the focus on distilling everything automotive down to dollars misses the point completely. Just enjoy the story and scrap or part out the junk cars.  You haven't MISSED OUT on anything.

Hagerty's writer's and contributor's research and presentation of these cars is what gives you access to some very cool stories.

Intermediate Driver

If that were in my driveway, the HOA would pitch a fit. 

Pit Crew

It appears the one in the movie has cloth seats. 

Navigator

I never buy celebrity cars of any stripe, because the attached theoretical cache simply adds nothing to the car. I know a lot of folks don't feel that way.  Thanks for the post.

Intermediate Driver

I'd rather have the harvester - can you imagine that rolling on the stage at Mecum?

New Driver

Today's special at Carlyle Motors:  Classic vintage Trans Am, ultra low miles.  Professionally maintained Hollywood car.  Engine loaded with lots of extra firepower, blown by industry professionals.  Top speed, 140 mph forward, 320 mph in reverse.  Idles totally silent.  Some cosmetic damage, engine did have slight detonation when last run.  Serious offers only, inquire with manager.

Intermediate Driver

The best use of this car is to become either a large coffee table or scrap metal. What's the point of trying to resurrect it?  

Intermediate Driver

If you restore it you just have another "Smokey & the Bandit" car....... Trashed and bleeding  and as Mc Queen's last ride, it could be marketable

New Driver

Cool story bro.

New Driver

There's a lot more missing than the fenders and hood unless there are pieces in that box on the trailer.

Intermediate Driver

So - with seven cars used and this one specially rigged to be destroyed in a scene while Steve McQueen chases it, I suspect Steve may never have sat in this car.

Intermediate Driver

I've watched videos of the retrieval of vehicles from swamps--so much of the vehicle having rotted away that practically the entire vehicle would have to be hand-manufactured--then sold as "restored".  Is such a vehicle really a "restored" vehicle?  We must ask ourselves if the outcome represents anything of value.  This Pontiac certainly borders on such childish fantasies.  Steve McQueen merely sat in the car--he had no great interest in this particular VIN.   It isn't like he strongly desired this particular car or even had any love for it.  It was part of the "script".  But, as the saying goes--"A fool and his money are soon parted".  LOL  It will bring some high dollars!

Intermediate Driver

At least they didn’t sacrifice a real Pontiac powered Trans Am, they blew up the Toronado version, public service actually 

Pit Crew

But where's the Monte Carlo that drove off the top floor of the parking deck in that same movie?  Gotta make us a package deal for sure! 

Pit Crew

A true "field find"... it's ALL yours!!!

Intermediate Driver

the one that came out of the corn field is not the same car as the one in the field ...the field car has considerable damage to the passenger side roof  and the one comes out does not have ant damage there

Passenger

Shows a lack of creativity in the movie makers that couldn't make a movie/tell a story without blowing up a brand new car.

Pit Crew

How much. I owned a  red 4sp ws6. I'd buy another one.

Passenger

Junk iz junk!

New Driver

"No tire kickers. I know what I've got"

New Driver

Lightning McQueen was chased by Frank the combine harvester. Coincidence? I think not. 

Pit Crew

Somehow I don't think that thing's gonna fetch much money. Dough nails it directly below. 

Intermediate Driver

I think the original Massey Ferguson 760 combine would be the best investment to search for and if found restore it!

Passenger

Just wash and wax that beauty and she'll be good as new.

New Driver

Never heard of that movie. Just saw the 2 minute clip on here. Just lost 2 minutes of my life watching a horrible movie.

New Driver

Wow. Really stretching the "famous or rare" definitions here! Just link it to McQueen and the Bullitt Mustang and bang....$$$$. "Gigantic rolling eyes here, too"!!!

Passenger

They'll call the new owner "The Hunter" because he will spend eternity hunting for parts.

Intermediate Driver