cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piston Slap: Highway resistance from a misfiring Falcon

Stephen writes:

Sajeev,

Several years ago I wrote you about my ’65 Falcon convertible, asking for options to re-do my suspension. I took your advice and put only upgraded factory stuff on, basically Opentracker A-arms and lower control arms with Bilstein shocks. It’s a very comfortable ride, but now I have a new problem.

When I am driving down the road at 65–70 mph in fifth gear (T-5 swap), the engine loses power and I hear a spitting type sound (fft, fft). If I downshift to fourth, the power seems to come back. This only occurs after the car has been running for 5–10 minutes at 65–70. The car has a 289, Autolite four-barrel carburetor, Mallory distributor, new generic NAPA coil, fresh plugs/wires, and I am using a ballast resistor.

Sajeev answers:

It’s wonderful to hear you chose/enjoy my suggested suspension modifications, as it’s usually in the owner’s best interest to stick with a factory-style suspension, but with upgraded shocks ...

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/advice/piston-slap-highway-resistance-from-a-misfiring-falcon/

View Entire Topic

Obviously, you need a new flux capacitor.  

Pit Crew