cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piston Slap: Heading off broken bolts?

G.D. writes:

My 1971 Buick GS 350 four-speed has a 49-year-old original, never-touched engine but needs an exhaust system. I would like to put headers on it with a completely new aluminized system and Walker turbo mufflers ...

Sajeev answers:

Sadly, there’s no magic trick to remove frozen exhaust manifold bolts. Your concerns are valid and likely to come to fruition. I’ve had the same problem removing bolts from an ancient T3 turbocharger: The only option was to light it up nice and hot with a torch and hope it didn’t break. If/when it does break, try a bolt extractor on what’s left. When all else fails, pay a machine shop for their expertise ...

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/advice/piston-slap-heading-off-broken-bolts/

View Entire Topic

I'm baffled by the originality fetish, particularly in view of the apparent fact this Buick is going nowhere. 49 years of ownership? Those needle **bleep** valves and exhaust logs effectively choked those engines. Surely with the explosion of the hobby and aftermarket accoutrements an alternative exists? I guess my bitterness has risen to the fore due to a ghastly experience with a '72 Cutlass ragtop. Time for my meds......

New Driver