cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Piston Slap: Gummy dash, sticky situation?

Chad writes:

My wife’s ’13 Altima coupe with only 42K has developed the sticky dash. It’s very gummy and the dealer won’t address the issue. I know there have been some settlements in Florida, and here in Houston, Texas, the Mazda dealer replaced the gummy dash on my son’s ’09 Mazda6—which was well out of warranty—for no charge.

Any recourse the Altima? If not, is there a home fix? At nearly eight years old, the Altima has been excellent.

Sajeev answers:

I’ve lost count of the number of Japanese cars I’ve seen/heard with gummy door and dash panels (even the often infallible Lexus) thanks to the hot and humid climate of our H-town hometown...

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/piston-slap-gummy-dash-sticky-situation/ 

2 REPLIES 2
Joel
Pit Crew

C5 Corvettes (1997-2004) are famous for the steering wheel airbag to become sticky and gummy, as the instances mentioned above. The best thing I found to remove that mess was Mothers VLR, available at your local auto parts store.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Ah!  I had that problem too, thanks for bringing up the C5's steering wheel!  For me it took several applications of carb cleaner and blue shop towel to remove it all, but it did indeed work.