cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

Piston Slap: Earth Dreams of contaminated oil?

Hagerty Community Fan DavidHolzman writes:

At its last oil change, my best friend's 2019 Accord's 1.5L Earth Dreams engine had oil that was watery and smelled of gasoline. I will share the Blackstone oil analysis report with everyone (below).  The Accord has about 15,000 miles and he is concerned about the long-term durability of that engine. And if it's a legit matter of concern, he wants to get a different car. What do you think?

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/piston-slap-earth-dreams-of-contaminated-oil/

4 REPLIES 4
CJinSD
Instructor

After three years of issues, Honda's answer is not to worry? Obama's crazy CAFE schedule has killed off another car company. 

audiobycarmine
Instructor

So you think that Honda is doomed?!? 

Because of one engine? 

It sounds like you have a political axe to grind, and thought this was an opportunity. 

It isn't. 

Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

It is very interesting to see the results of Honda and Toyota diverging on how to comply with modern, global regulatory regimes. Honda has gone all-in on tiny, direct-injected, turbo motors paired with CVTs for everything but their large "truck" platform. Meanwhile Toyota have pushed their hybrid technology that was battle-tested on the streets of New York throughout the rest of their lineup. In markets where it doesn't make sense to only offer hybrids, Toyota has developed dual-injection systems, only put CVTs in small cars, and has stuck with naturally-aspirated engines.

So far, Toyota is winning. If you believe Consumer Reports's data, Honda doesn't make 'em like they used to. I would believe CR in this case because Toyonda have had a duopoly on the wallets of Consumer Reports readers for the last 30 years. There's the oil-fuel dilution scandal for the 1.5T which is Honda's volume engine for the whole world. It doesn't seem like a huge deal right now, but the Hyundai Theta IIs grenading themselves took 5-6 years to develop. The tenth-gen Civic's A/C compressors fail at an alarming rate. Honda went with the ZF 9-speed as a stop gap for their V6-powered vehicles until their 10-speed was ready, and the ZF 9-speed sucks out loud. Finally, the infotainment is as glitchy and terrible as an Android tablet from 2012, because the Honda infotainment is a 2012 Android tablet.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I think you hit the nail on the head, and I do believe Toyota is winning in these regards.