cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Piston Slap: Caught in the Crossfire of drivetrain whine?

I have a 2005 base model Chrysler Crossfire with the six-cylinder engine. Recently I'm hearing a high pitch whine coming from the engine compartment after taking my foot off the gas. The whine will go away, only to return.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/piston-slap-caught-in-the-crossfire-of-drivetrain...
7 REPLIES 7
audiobycarmine
Technician

Possibly Speedometer-related?
Sajeev
Community Manager

Probably not, as that used to be the symptom of a bad speedometer cable. Thank goodness those things have gone the way of the dodo. 

MBaker
New Driver

Most likely drive train RPM related issue. Early Honda S2000 clutch buzz comes to mind. With auto transmission I would suspect torque converter.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Yes, the more I think about it, that's what I am leaning toward. 

drm101
Detailer

If it has a clutched alternator pulley it could be the alternator whining when overrunning. It usually happens when the battery is fully charged and there is no load on the alternator.
Tomwas
Intermediate Driver

On my old four cylinder rear drive volvos that sound meant your center support bearing was going south on the split driveshaft... Got an 04 crossfire four months ago and it needed just that item... No whining sound but heavy vibration/clunking on accelaration.. My rubber bearing insulator was shot, if just the bearing itself was bad it could give off the sound you describe...
Sajeev
Community Manager

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing!