cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Piston Slap: An enlightened Panelescent replacement?

Hello, I have a 1960 Chrysler Imperial. They had the glowing dash and dials. Over time the paint on the dials needs redone, but that is not my question. My question is when the power pack goes, is there a way to do away with the power pack and keep the original glowing dash and dials?
https://www.hagerty.com/media/advice/piston-slap/piston-slap-an-enlightened-panelescent-replacement/
5 REPLIES 5
CitationMan
Gearhead

relton
Advanced Driver

About 1989, a salesman from one of the automotive suppliers came into my office and tried to sell me on new Panelescent lighting. It was going to be featured on the new Lexus LS400. It happened that I had my 1960 Chrysler t work that day, so I took him out and showed him the 30 year old Chrysler technology. I'm not sure he was impressed, but it was the last time i heard from him.
The first Lexus was quite a car, even if they did pretend to reinvent 30 year old Chrysler technology.
Snailish
Instructor

Great story Relton.

We (as consumers) have been sold so many things as new that... aren't.
Snailish
Instructor

Bespoke electronics could be an interesting side hobby/business down the line.

90s car parts are becoming unobtainium and there is just more electronics from then on...
CitationMan
Gearhead

Agreed. I fully expect “old technology”, or in other words what people are buying today, to be unsupported by manufacturers in the future. This will include battery packs that are no longer made, meaning the car will be a brick, no different than an old iPhone that is out of date and unsupported. It’s too hard today to work around the electronics of an ICE car to update or modify it, you’re dead in the water if you can’t get the car’s systems to recognize a modification. Ask any German car mechanic, the biggest problem they have with old German cars is the electronics. That’s why old German cars are the newest cars you see in junkyards. It will be much worse in the future.