cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Piston Slap: A DeSoto's drippy Will Carter?

David writes: I just rebuilt the Carter WCFB four-barrel on my '56 Desoto Fireflite 330 Hemi. Prior to the rebuild it started very easily, now it won't start without a shot of starting fluid. The spark plugs appear wet. After I get it running (with starting fluid) it runs great, stronger than before the rebuild.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/piston-slap-a-desotos-drippy-will-carter/
2 REPLIES 2
Swamibob
Technician

Pretty sure you have the problem surrounded with help from Mike at Mike's Carb parts! Love his website. So much good info on all kinds of carbs.
When I was younger; we just thought of a WCFB as being a good excuse for an AFB conversion. Or even better, a new manifold and a Holley carb. 🙂
petersalt
Advanced Driver

ACTUALLY, for street and general hwy driving, the Carters are generally outclassed by a conversion to the Quadrajet system .. IF you can find a manifold to fit between that Qjet and your stock engine. Properly jetted and set up, Qjets provide surprisingly good fuel economy as well as quick kick-in of those massive secondaries. just sayin'