cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Pete Brock and Ian Callum are reincarnating the C2 Corvette as a 2000-hp EV | Hagerty Media

Oh no! Here comes another top-dollar, top-tier, craft-beer, battery-powered automaker coming to RUIN YOUR CLASSIC! Put in another, far more sincere way, there's a new automaker in town-in Enniskerry, County Wicklow, Ireland, to be exact.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/pete-brock-and-ian-callum-are-reincarnating-the-c2-corvette-as-a-...
23 REPLIES 23
spoom
Technician

Meh. Why not just duct tape it to a Saturn V rocket?

spark123
Detailer

Possibly a Top Fuel Dragster Engine??
Flashman
Technician

I assume they're not going to use real C2s (they're not good enough for a modern hypercar). They'll need an electric skateboard to start and new carbon fibre modified bodywork. Will the C2 silhouette be considered intellectual property or will it be in the public domain, like the Ferrari? Only the lawyers know for sure. Or maybe a hefty enough licensing fee will soothe all wounds. Just add it to the bottom line.
CitationMan
Gearhead

If there’s one car that doesn’t need to be “reshaped” or made “crisper” it’s this one. Instead, how about they design a totally new car for 2021 that’s as groundbreaking and beautiful as a 1963 Corvette?
SilentBoy741
Instructor

That would take talent, vision, and imagination, qualities sorely in short supply in the new millenium.
StingRay
New Driver

👎🏻
Iso_Grifo
Instructor

Too angry to comment.
CitationMan
Gearhead

Even their design photo is bugging me.
-This car does not need a rear diffuser! It’s not a Civic Type R.
-Their “retain but make functional” note is strange. Top arrow points to the roof vent area of a 63-65, but their photo is a 67, and the 66-67 did not have roof vents. The lower arrow points to already functional 65-67 side vents, yet their note says “make functional”. Huh?
-Their note to eliminate the passenger side mirror is odd, as I believe this was only a dealer installed option.
-“drop/extend” front end: Who has ever looked at the iconic front of a mid-year and thought it should be longer or lower?
DAdams
Intermediate Driver

I suspect they are correcting the aerodynamic deficiency of the C2 that GM never addressed. Race C2s could exceed 150 MPH - but became incontrollable as speeds approached 150 MPH. With over over 3 times the power of an original on tap it would be imperative to address the issue and create down force to keep the tires on the road.
The photos are kind of interesting. They appear to basing their design on a 1966 modified with the split rear window from the 1963.
CitationMan
Gearhead

Yes, the well known airfoil effect of the original body. But they’re never going to be able to produce enough downforce for their stated horsepower goals by tweaking the front end.  Take a look at the purposeful design of the 1750 horsepower Tuatara for downforce at high speeds, or even the last Corvette ZR1 with 755 horsepower.

SilentBoy741
Instructor

"this new take on the midyear Corvette is likely to cost between 1.4 to 2.4 million dollars and possess somewhere between 1200 and 2000 hp. Wonder what Zora would say to that."

If Zora had any sense at all, they'd say, "That's too f###ing expensive."
JohninNC
Instructor

Unrelated, ask Chip Foose if he'll redesign/ draw the current Gen 5 4runner! I fear Toyota is going to blow it. I know, this is an odd post.
Vintageracer
Pit Crew

Another expensive golf cart. The electric car nuts have out done themselves! How long will the batteries last putting out the claimed horsepower!
427sc
Detailer

Being an AC Cobra guy, I and others like me know Peter is THE true hero behind the Shelby racing history and specifically, the winning of the 1965 FIA GT & Manufacturers World Championships. These titles, which still to this day, is the FIRST and ONLY time an American car has ever be crowned with those accolades!
Peter designed that winning car, the 1965 Daytona Coupe, using his own exceptional/natural talent for aerodynamics, a slide rule and simple hand carved wood bucks to hammer the body shape he envisioned in his mind into that World Champion, iconic vehicle!
Anything Peter does, WILL be exceptional.
Being a classic muscle car guy, I AM personally disappointed that this new car will be electric. Another point to make me frown is that it is also likely to be WAY WAY quicker than anything else which is fueled at a gas pump...
😞
Nonetheless, I can't wait to see what he comes up with.
I'm also hoping it will beat the snot out of the Tesla Model S Plaid (which is rated to do 0-60 in under 2 seconds!) all while looking "classically beautiful" as Peter certainly knows how to do...
You GO Pete!!!
Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

Really? 🤪
drhino
Technician

Every time I see one of these EV stories I check the calendar to see if it is April 1st. I’m saddened when it isn’t.
Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

Are those side pipes for the speakers?
Verneoz
Intermediate Driver

The C2 Vette was ahead of its time, and still endures after almost 60 years. EV? Makes sense to me. On the other hand car collectors, and muscle car enthusiasts need to beware of what may be coming down from the White House now that the "hate anything that runs on carbon fuels" cabal is in power. Look for efforts to impose CAFE standards on the owners of these collector cars & muscle cars, imposition of more restrictive Federal regulations, fees, and Taxes in order to choke off the interest in these cars that are part of US automobile history. Choices: sit back and take it in the shorts, or fight.
spoom
Technician

EVs are the new CFLs.

jsfury
Intermediate Driver

Still talking electric guys? Not a good idea folks. Nope. Let's take this future scenario for one. We have a city with a population of four hundred thousand people. Two hundred and seventy five thousand have electric cars. Evening comes, and it was a hot day out. People are running there A/C's. Now roughly half those people with their electric cars need to plug in and charge their vehicles. And between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. they "Plug In". Uh-ho, what happened to the A/C? why are all the lights out? I cook on my electric stove. Get the picture.
spoom
Technician

Sounds like a problem for the new, "Department of Who Gets to Own a Private Car" to deal with.

Hal
Intermediate Driver

I must ask what good is that kind of horsepower if you don’t have the traction to keep it glued to the road? The C2 is my absolute favourite design. It was born we with enough HP and Torque to put a permanent smile on my face and countless others I’m sure. I would not be interested in a redesign of this icon even if I could afford it.
Slow-N-Relaxed
Intermediate Driver

EVs would NEVER have spawned side pipes if internal combustion engines had never happened. I would suggest that the only "functional farkle" an EV could inspire would be some sort of heat sink design. Like a side pipe with cooling fins rather than an exhaust pipe inside.

In the fashion industry, it is perfectly legal in EVERY way for companies to copy new clothing designs and sell them for $200 - $1000 instead of $2000 or $10,000. Not sure why the auto industry would be treated differently. There is a company that makes a Ferrari 250 GTO that is so freakin accurate you can't tell it's not a real 250 GTO until you open the hood and see a 240-280Z inline 6 in the engine compartment--often with as much or more horsepower than the original 3 liter V-12.

Peter Brock's contribution to the design of the C2 involves some sketches. Bill Mitchell had already designed his version that looks a lot like a C2/Grand Sport mix. But Larry Shinoda with Mitchell's eye on the prize were the ones nearly fully credited with the design of the C2. Not to take anything away from Brock... he is a natural designer, interesting speaker, and all-around car nut hero.