cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Parted Out? The future of car components in an EV world | Hagerty Media

This is the latest in a series of Hagerty Insider articles on the future of classic cars in an electrified world. Catch up with an examination of the impact of internal-combustion engine bans in Europe or an exploration of what regulations might come into effect in the United States.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/future-car-components-ev/
123 REPLIES 123
Tinkerah
Technician

"We replaced the horse for work but we still keep them for pleasure." A great observation that should encourage all of us.
hyperv6
Gearhead

As long as they don’t take our good gas away. That is why we fight for our hobby now not when it is too late. 

OldCarMan
Instructor

Forced by Fed bureaucrats &eco-nazis, extorted from the taxpayer that didn't vote for any of it. What could possibly go wrong?
Oldroad1
Advanced Driver

Sorry, grids will never improve and I will tell you why in a simple sentence. The nut house moronic left are the same idiots that think wind farms and solar can support nation wide grids.
spark123
Detailer

You hit the nail on the head.  EVs are more profitible!!!

They are not cleaner, or more efficient and as soon as the government puts a mileage tax in place cheaper to operate.

2013GSVETTE
Pit Crew

IM SICK OF THIS CORRUPT DOUBLE STANDARD GOVERNMENT OF ITS RULES FOR ME AND NOT FOR THEE.
Pingechoreply
New Driver

While not as sensational as Jack's column, this is much more reasoned. Has the ubiquity of the automatic transmission, even from BMW and similar marques, over the last 10 years made it so I can't replace the clutch on my Alfa Duetto? Of course not! Does it mean that there may be fewer companies making clutches now than 50 years ago? Probably. Keeping a classic on the road has always been a game of what critical part is no longer available. It has ever been thus, and will be. Tie rods available for my car? Yes, at this time, and given that my Tesla also has tie rods, and the electric VWs will have them as well, I suspect that they are going to continue to be made, but maybe not for my car.

While the flying car has for 50 years been 5 years in the future, the electric car has been here for 3 years (I'll date it to the Model 3). By this fall (PG&E and county inspectors willing), my Tesla will run on 100% solar from my back yard, except when on a road trip. The infrastructure will catch up. I'm sure driving across the country in 1915 was not without questions of where gasoline was available, and not all routes were open to even an intrepid driver.

I enjoy my Duetto, but really wouldn't want to take it on a long trip in anything but the most favorable weather (fairly loud, windy, no AC and no real defogging if it rains. but driving the Pacific Coast Highway? Perfect, and way more fun than in the quiet, rain-proof Tesla.

The future won't be the past, and all our favorites will eventually suffer the fate of P-51 I had the good fortune to get a ride in right before COVID: Almost every part is now machined custom, or meticulously hand repaired, and the running cost is eye-watering, but it can be done. Just less often than it was 50 years ago.
stevecobb45
Detailer

I'm guessing the future of converting classics is good. So many now seek out "retrorods" when purchasing a restored vehicle & who can blame them. Looks of a classic & reliability of a new car. I can tell you myself, doing away with rusty gas tanks, clogged injectors & leaky radiators sure sounds good to me, adding in the fact, not everyone drives their classics on Power Tours but mostly to local shows where distance isn't even a factor. Right now conversion prices are way out of reach for most & perhaps when batteries do drop in price, we'll see this more widespread. Just a thought now, what if federal incentives applied to these conversions? All bets off if that happens. It's a guarantee.
83ragtop50
Intermediate Driver

I am in no way opposed to the inclusion of EV's into the personal transportation market. BUT I am deeply disturbed with the outlandish promotion and financial subsidizing of EV's by the US and other government entities. Here are 3 of my reasons. (1) My tax dollars are being giving away as tax credits for those purchasing a new EV. Seems like welfare for the wealthy to me. (2) In my state (Tennessee) and probably most, if not all, other states and at the national level a sizeable tax is added to my purchase of gasoline and diesel fuel for the purported purpose of highway construction/maintenance. The users of EV's are not paying any such equivalent tax but they have free access to the highways. (3) The feds and pseudo-government (e.g. the TVA) are already and are accelerating the installation of charging stations along public highways at taxpayer expense. I will approve of this when I get a gas station installed down the road from me at government expense. In other words, these entities are competing against the private owners of gas stations. Unfortunately this is just another LARGE example of the state and federal governments picking winners and losers. It is time to stop this nonsense.
drhino
Instructor

83ragtop50;
You are absolutely correct. Let the market decide!
BMD4800
Instructor

They’ve always picked winners and losers, and always to their benefit.

Who wins if you can’t jump in your machine and drive to anywhere at anytime?

I love the “range” thing. When I’m going to my ranch, I normally carry 12 gallons of extra “range” in the truck. That’s an extra 204 miles of dirt roads.

No outlets tho’.

On second thought, I fully support 100% EVs. Go for it. Country is scary. Don’t come out here, stay in your high-density urban jungle. More land and grass fed animals for me and mine.
RoadDog
Intermediate Driver

I think parts will be found/manufactured for most classic performance cars for a long time to come. For some classics which were not true performance cars to begin with, but are appreciated for their style, like 4-seat T-Birds and some of the trucks and SUVs that are becoming collectible, electrification makes a lot of sense, and I imagine conversions will become more affordable as time goes on.
Bunka
Intermediate Driver

Conversions will lead to a whole new idea of what a collectible or classic car is. The question then becomes: How acceptable is this vehicle? Originality will not count any more. The true driving experience of certain automobiles will be irrelevant. The fundamentals of owning and driving an old car will have to be thrown away. Every conversion will, basically, be a kit car. The owner will no longer take pride in his skill at maintenance and mechanical problem fixing. Just plug it in and let the computer do the problem solving and even the repair. I know that I cannot accept this, however, I'm also on the far end scale of continuous breathing. I guess the issue will take care of itself. The bridge of transition and acceptance will have to be crossed. The start of that bridge will be crowded with old timers and purists who are holding their ground, unable to cross that line, and either unable or unwilling to put one foot ahead of the other.
hyperv6
Gearhead

It would be insane to take a classic and convert it. 

Besides half these people can’t fix their present cars out there now. Most would fry themselves if they tried to covert themselves. 

So few people can’t adjust a carb or break in a cam today. 

btwilson123
New Driver

Electric cars not a fan old school gas snorting hot rods all the way! They can keep the battery operated PC crap. It feels like this computer shortage on the new cars is a subtle way to force people into the new green utopia. No thank You!!
Oldroad1
Advanced Driver

You've misspelled udopia.
dd1
Intermediate Driver

I hope and pray that the classic auto parts industry (including parts for most every ICE, classic or not) will stay for many decades to come. There is no sweeter sound than the roar of an old fashioned V8 or the sublime sound of a British four-banger from a vintage MGB or Midget. And there's no better smell than gas and oil churning and burning in an engine. An ICE is paradise to my senses!
hyperv6
Gearhead

We will remain around but it will be more challenging. 

many companies will remain ICE based but there will be fewer companies or like Holley they will be owned by a large group. 

The performance market is already starting to carry and create parts for a EV performance market, we already are selling EV hop up parts now because people are asking for them. Their money is green too. 

$$$ is my green thinking. 

MSuperfan
Pit Crew

Consider this:  How many times a day does your phone or computer glitch-out in a very inconvenient way?  So, let's make cars that are more like these devices?  Look-up what Roger Smith said to Bill Gates, back in the day.  It remains a valid thought.  The fact is that the ideal power source for personal transportation for the VAST majority of Americans (from a miles driven measure) in NOT electric.  This craze is NOT being driven by the consumer.  This is politically driven, mass insanity; and the end goal is the destruction of personal mobility for all but the super rich. 

Tcoradeschi
Intermediate Driver

Because your ICE powered car has no computers in it to "glitch-out in a very inconvenient way"? Four vehicles currently in our stable, the '85 BMW K100RS is the only one with a throttle cable (or without ABS)...

Meh.
hyperv6
Gearhead

Or how my 17 Acadia was glitching out. Electronics problems are not just EV issues. 

I had to remove the power to reboot my in laws Chrysler 300 to get it to go into gear. 

Sorry the electronic glitch argument is not going to work anymore.

MSuperfan
Pit Crew

Try some analytical thinking skills.  Yes, modern vehicles have computer controlled systems, and hence are subject to the inconsistent glitching of which I speak.  It thus stands to reason that the more a vehicle depends on such things, the more likely there will be problems.  I CAN'T WAIT to see one of you electric car drivers sitting by the side of the road with no "fuel".  I hope that the ambient temp that day is over 90 or under 30.  Perhaps a contractor will happen by with a generator in the bed of his ICE pick-up, and will be willing to sit with you for an hour or 2 until you have enough charge to limp to the next exit.  The nightmarish EV stories will be wonderfully entertaining to me. 

hyperv6
Gearhead

If you like to get analytical you may want to dig deeper. 

The cars lacking a charge was always a question I had as you can’t go get a cam of electric power.

I am finding GM is already making their cars able to add a quick charge that will power the dead car enough to get home. 

Many of these issues are being addressed. Every time I think I have a hot ya there is a plan. Auto Makers are farther along than many give them credit. 

Oldroad1
Advanced Driver

How far away is home?
Oldroad1
Advanced Driver

Perfectly true!
chrlsful
Instructor

decide? naw - one of each plez...
OHCOddball
Detailer

As long as there is demand for parts, there will be manufacturers that make them. Remember when NOS body and interior parts for muscle cars ran out? Someone stepped in to make them. Some better than others. You can build some models from scratch with all repro parts. Will they be affordable? Will YOUR model have parts? THAT is the question. Clunkers for Cash has taken a lot of good parts cars out of the mix making some parts unobtainable.
SuperDeLuxe
Detailer

Cuba is a good example - limit the market and force compliance. Funny how those surviving 50's American cars (capitalist, elitist symbols of oppression) have become treasured heirlooms for Cubans! When ICE vehicles are outlawed, only outlaws will have ICE vehicles. Freedom has a way of finding its own path, comrade.
BMD4800
Instructor

Rush had a song about that…
spark123
Detailer

Did you ever try to get parts for a Tesla??? There aren't many available.
EVs are meant to be disposable.
BMD4800
Instructor

Nah. Wouldn’t own one.

A hodgepodge of other companies engineered products assembled into their own Tupperware aeropod.

Think AMC, without style.

Yeah, check it out…Tesla sourced their components or heavily borrowed the Engineering from others.
OldCarMan
Instructor

AMC designed and built most of their own cars. Commodity parts like alternators, starters, carbs, & transmissions always come from a supplier... for EVERYONE!
Ignorant insults doesn't make it true.
Cookies
Pit Crew

I want no part of an electric car…not sorry to say it..
MSuperfan
Pit Crew

What we don't know is that Mr. Fusion exists! They are just saving it as a huge surprise. It was developed via a massive joint venture between the USA, Russia, Germany, China, Trinidad, VW, GM, Toyota, Kia, and Fisker. All of those organizations are deeply concerned about doing what is best for humanity, so they joined forces to solve our transportation problem. It's going to be so WONDERFUL!!

MARK400
Intermediate Driver

Electric for everyday cookie cutter drivers is okay, but will be tough to miss the sound of open headers and a nasty cam and that overly rich smell of gas in the exhaust from a 850 Holley. Yea yea yea I know it`s caveman stuff but when you grew up with it it`s tough to let go.
Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

Check out the video of the guy that needs gas for his Tesla...........
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tesla+out+of+gas&&view=detail&mid=2029524A22ECFD05294D2029524A2...
mwmyers91
Detailer

As America is already expirencing rolling blackouts, adding to the load seems short sighted and foolish. No one has explained how we get rid of all the uised batteries either. I guess we shoot them into space with gas powered rockets.
Tony
Pit Crew

California has been experiencing rolling blackouts for 19 years, . . . and counting.
mwmyers91
Detailer

America has not built a power plant in 50 years that I know of so where will this incresed power come from, they never say
OldCarMan
Instructor

Nuclear is the green answer! Oh wait, haven't built one in 45 years due to technological ignorance, so we are...screwed!
Oldroad1
Advanced Driver

Thanks to California's forever I hope ex senator Babs Boxer, the feds shut down San Onofre nuclear power plant and California has been suffering ever since especially during summer. What is worse, wasn't anything wrong with it. Oh, it was built on a fault line. Every thing in California is built on or near a fault line! That excuse is pure BS. California voted and payed taxes for that plant and this is nothing more than government grand theft. The plant is still there and tax payers are still paying for it's maintenance. This plant is one of the best engineered nuclear power plants ever built and engineered to withstand sizeable earthquakes and numerous aftershocks and has done so several times.
gfviperman
Detailer

What is the solution to all the worn out batteries that run these cars???
Can they be recycled??
Also, the rare earth materials needed for battery production require extensive mining operations ...
... none so far in the USA. Environmental laws will have to be "adjusted" to accommodate such mining, if it is ever allowed.
Sonnymccut
New Driver

Still possible to buy leaded 100 octane gas at your nearby airport. Most small airports have self-service gas pumps. Avgas is 100 octane low-lead, known as 100LL around airports. It’s going to be around a long time because electric airplanes won’t be common for 50 years. Price check today at my local airport was $3.75/gallon, not bad!
DaveA
Detailer

1) You can’t run leaded fuel in anything that has a catalytic converter.
2) Although electric airplanes may be some time away (there are a few being tested now), it’s possible that the GA manufacturers move to diesel fuel.
OldCarMan
Instructor

I have heard that it is illegal to gas up at an airport. No road taxes paid,,, and ?
Tinkerah
Technician

To bring the conversation back to the point of the article: I'm not the least bit concerned about parts for my old iron. All the shelves of stupid serviceable used and repairable parts I've allowed to take up precious storage space for 30+ years will eventually be called into play. And VW has got SOME NERVE to even mention their emissions in ANY context.
Roundhouse
Pit Crew

i get a chuckle when the car companies announce they will stop making gasoline engines in 2025 or whatever.
its nots physically possible to mine enough lithium to manufacture that many batteries,
it is not possible to mine and manufacture enough copper for the wires, for the vehicles and for the infrastructure required to charge all those electric cars.

there is also not enough electricity being generated to recharge all those cars.
nor does the existing electric grid have enough capacity to carry the juice to all those cars that wont ever be built.

the car companies are just virtue signaling on social media by giving these ridiculous dates and claims.
volkswagens claim is laughable.
MSuperfan
Pit Crew

What we don't know is that Mr. Fusion exists!  They are just saving it as a huge surprise.  It was developed via a massive joint venture between the USA, Russia, Germany, China, Trinidad, VW, GM, Toyota, Kia, and Fisker.  All of those organizations are deeply concerned about doing what is best for humanity, so they joined forces to solve our transportation problem.  It's going to be so WONDERFUL!!

hyperv6
Gearhead

What needs to be understood is more sources are being found snd other forms of batteries are being brought along. 

The transformation has flexibility to speed up snd slow based on supplies. 

The problem is people like to get overly dramatic on this but no model will go into production that can not be produced. Only odd or unusual thing like this chip thing will be factors. 

Davidb
Pit Crew

If it has a storage battery it is basically obsolete.