cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Our tame fighter pilot goes commando ... Jeepster Commando, that is | Hagerty Media

My first formation takeoff was a bit of a fail. I understood academically what was supposed to happen, and I had chair flown it many times sitting at my dining room table (chair flying involves visualizing and thinking through a flight while on the ground at zero knots and 1g).
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/our-tame-fighter-pilot-goes-commando-jeepster-commando-tha...
11 REPLIES 11
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Ah the Commando life....we dont get no respect.Still love mine though,its a great mountain car.
Josh_Arakes
Intermediate Driver

Love mine, too!
CBL
Pit Crew

That is awesome!!! Nothing like having a history of "pushing the envelope" then getting into the Commando and there is no envelope to push. You might have to get creative here. Perhaps next time drive commando in the Commando..
TonyT
Instructor

Two words: Nitrous oxide. And after you do that, four more words: Broom and dust pan, because that's what the track crew will be using to pick up what's left of your engine. All in all, great story! Now all you have to do is research the famous "Holy Toledo" drag car from the late '60's. You can live vicariously through the exploits of that entry and appreciate what it requires to make an old Jeep run quick. Of course, you can also look at what Brian Chuchua used to do a Jeep inline six and spend a boatload of money to reach that level. Or, you could stick a 12-valve Cummins in it and roll coal!
Josh_Arakes
Intermediate Driver

I'm familiar with the Holy Toledo, but not Brian Chuchua. I'll have to look him up
Rbmitch1
Pit Crew

I have a 1950 Willys Jeepster! Classics yellow, F-four, three on the tree. Drive it all the time. Every time I park it, someone takes a photo. I love it!!
Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

Great story. Got a good a chuckle!
Josh_Arakes
Intermediate Driver

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it
Spuds
Advanced Driver

One thing about any model Jeepster...you are a 1 person auto show everywhere you go. EVERYBODY has a Jeep story in their life to share and they are pretty good stories too,they run the gamut.And no,its not a Bronco LOL.
Josh_Arakes
Intermediate Driver

Neither a Bronco nor a Scout
JGMan
Intermediate Driver

Your article caught my eye with it's witty title, plus I've had a few old Jeeps in my time. But now that "going Commando" has become a well-known catch phrase, I want one! Think of all the opportunities to use that line. As the proud owner of a '47 Woodie Station Wagon I'm getting tired of people reversing the "woodie jokes" on me when I'm just talking about her in a serious manner.

Your nightmarish clutch leg and tale of tempting fate with an overheated-motor while waiting for your turn to stage, sounds like every 4th of July parade I've participated in. I think one year I actually may have suffered a mild heat stroke trying to pass on a bit of automotive joy and history to the flag-waving masses lining the parade route.