cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Our 6 favorite woody wagons at Worldwide's 2021 Scottsdale sale | Hagerty Media

The more auctions that are rescheduled, relocated, or held online, the more we continue to be impressed at the quality of vehicles available. Case in point: the selection of woody wagons on offer through Worldwide Auctioneers at its 2021 Scottsdale sale (which is actually held at the auction house's headquarters in Auburn, Indiana).
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/our-6-favorite-woody-wagons-at-worldwides-2021-scottsdale-sal...
30 REPLIES 30
McNeat
Pit Crew

I’ve always had an admiration for the craftsmanship in a true woodie. Though I’ll likely never own an oldie, my originally purchased 1986 Plymouth Voyager ( faux woodie) is as close as I’ll get. No surfboard but a kayak on the rack and my wanna be “Beach Boy” goal is achieved.😉
sclin10
Detailer

My favorite is the 1948 to 1950 Packard.
CarsAreMe
New Driver

My parents had a '48 back in the mid-50s. Either badly-faded black or dark blue. Hauled all eight of us and camping gear up through the Smokies when moving back to Michigan in '55 and it became Mom's car for a few years until it just got too much to maintain. But it had its charms.
ItalGal49
New Driver

Hi!

I just happen to have a 1949 Packard Station Sedan which I’m considering selling.

My father bought it new off the showroom floor in Memphis, Tennessee in April 1949. I have the original Bill of Sale and the original Owners Manual, as well as pictures from then through now.

I can be reached at:   toprealtorgal@att.net

rgwinn
New Driver

Hi- saw the post about your Packard. Would love a picture and idea of present condition and asking price.
Thanks, Rick Gwinn
rgwinn545@gmail.com
p.s. I’m 73, and still have my restored 1948 Chevy truck bought Christmas I turned 21! Truck’s name is Bob.
OkJustOneMore
Intermediate Driver

Though not a wagon, the Chrysler Town & Country was a beautiful car.
Gar1
New Driver

I agree, I have one for sale.
OCULUSNY
Intermediate Driver

The taxi/sedan length models were popular with undertakers to use in pickups from nursing homes and hospitals that didn't want hearses in their driveway. The folding rear seat and added wheelbase accommodated these quiet passengers.
rgwinn
New Driver

Several years ago while vacationing on Nantucket, we saw a mint green 1950 Ford woody being driven by a lady who appeared to be around 90 years old. The woody ran well and appeared to be original.
This past summer, imagine my surprise when the same woody appeared at a local Charleston repair shop for tune-up. I asked about it and was told it was bought from the estate of a lady on Nantucket who had owned it for decades and has passed.
Beautiful car! Glad it’s being enjoyed!
RSorenson1
Intermediate Driver

The Marmon looks like it would be bone shaker. The 42 Merc is a beauty, and I'd love to have it.
02-orignal-ownr
Detailer

At the opposite end of the woody spectrum--at least in size--is the American Bantam woody wagon--AFAIK the smallest US true woody built--not very practical from a cargo hauling standpoint, but impossibly cute.

Across the pond Fiat built a few hundred Topolino woody wagons between 1949 and 1951, when they became all-steel. The '49's carried the 1936 styling, while the 50s and 51s reflected more contemporary front end sheet metal. The Topo wagons were three inches longer than their coupe counterparts (129 vs 126 inches) and reflecting their cargo hauling--actually pretty respectable with the back seat folded, consider its size--had a 5.12 differential vs the coupe's 4.87. There are only two '49's known in the US, and fewer than a half dozen 50 &51 models. And like the Bantams, they are true woodys from the cowl back.
ozone
New Driver

The body styling of the 1946-1964 Willys station wagon was heavily influenced by the true woodies of the day. Paint schemes on some production vehicles even mimicked the wood tones. All steel construction notwithstanding, they still wanted it to look like a woody.
Silverstreak
New Driver

Can't beat the elegant lines and finishes of the late 40s Pontiac Streamliner Woodies! A true wooden Land Yacht!
Huntz-Hall
Pit Crew

I'll take the 1950 Monarch Woodie thanks.
dhomuth
Intermediate Driver

I just generally like most woodies. My late stepfather in Fargonordakoda had a cabinet shop that was the only factory-approved woody repair shop between Minneapolis and Seattle. The only woody I ever tried to buy, and the one that remains The woody to have, was a 1949 Buick Roadmonster woody wagon. In 1966, I showed up ten minutes late to buy it for $250. I can still see it -- maroon, pretty good wood, great interior, ran well, but had some dry rot in the wood that we could have fixed. Ah well -- the best of The One That Got Away.
gtpzxtmike
New Driver

Oct21 (6).JPGOct21 (7).JPGClose, I have a 1949 Buick Super Estate Wagon with interesting owner history.

eighthtry
Intermediate Driver

We need to see more of this sweetheart. That is gorgeous.
merman
New Driver

IMG_9861.jpeg

We've had a 1959 Morris Minor Traveller in our family since the early 70s here in California. She is British racing green. Now, she is my responsibility. Just finishing up a restoration with some paint work to take care of a little rust.

bradleydad
Pit Crew

Beautiful car, congratulations! It's one of my favorites as well. I wish there was one this nice running around Sacramento. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.( If you'd like a miniature of yours, Sunstar makes one in 1/12 that is very realistic.)
July041937
New Driver

I have been fortunate to own,restore,show and judge many Woodies in my 83 years in the SF Bay Area.
I consider one of the rarest is a (my) 47 Chevy. "Country Club Convertible" as done CORRECTLY in 1947. I hunted for 20 years-there are many homemade kits installed. It has the ORIGINAL wood kit with numbers on the back and Installation manual. It was installed correctly 30 years ago for a 47 vs a 48 by the SAME man who installed them for The Oakland Chevy dealer! Installation manual shows difference in installing a 47 vs a 48! I have owned it for 30 years. Now being shown in the huge Forney car museum in Denver for the Winter 6 months.
I will have to sell it this spring as there is no garage available in my Retirement home
Jim Ashworth
jimacarbuff@gmail.com
Maestro1
Advanced Driver

My Grandfather took me for a ride in a Marmon Herrington when I was very small; I remember it now because he and I talked often about having one for the roads in early Massachusetts, especially in Winter. I owned a '50 Mercury Woodie in Los Angeles bought slightly used, one year old if I remeber right, wonderful car, very useful, my first wagon! Now, advancing age. I have a '71 Ford Country Squire that gets used and driven by everybody in the family. It is fully equipped, Automatic and all the rest of it, perfect long roof for an old guy collector. Thanks for this.
ChevySS
New Driver

For me it's a 1950 Chrysler Town and Country convertible. Dark blue and wood.
Jay
Pit Crew

Why does the "1934 Ford “Strathglass” Estate Wagon" look so different from the last Woodie in the article, the "1934 Ford Model 40 Station Wagon"? Their front bumpers and grilles are quite different. The "Strathglass" front end looks more '32 - '33 Ford truck to me.
1931APickup
New Driver

You are right. If you look at the rear doors of both wagons, you will notice that the "Strathglass" wagon's doors are longer and are not shaped to clear the rear fenders. It probably was built on the truck chassis.
RallyeRalph
Intermediate Driver

In college I had a beautiful dark green 48 Ford Sportsman woody convertible. But it made me so confused- I didn't know whether to have it Ziebarted or Terminixed, so I got both.
leduced
Pit Crew

'49 Merc, always a favorite. The closest i came was a 66 then a 69 Country Squire. loved the 69.
warrene
Intermediate Driver

I have a '48 Willys Overland Station Wagon, these are all metal but painted to look like wood, I painted the 'wood' with a brush, this gave slight wood 'grain' look to it, from any distance it looks like wood and has fooled a lot of people. Mine is 2WD, they made them in 4WD also. Has the old Jeep Go Devil 4 cyl flathead, has OD, runs great and gives great gas mileage, always draws a crowd when I park so it's to drive.
Caprice81
Intermediate Driver

I remember the aftermath of Hurricane Carol in 1954. My uncle had a house at Oakland Beach in Rhode Island complete with a 1937 Ford Woodie. Why does a then 7 yr old boy remember the aftermath so vividly upon visiting the beach? Well....the house was gone but the Woodie remained with it's tail end bobbing up and down in the water. What an unforgettable sight to a future car guy!
DaveP
Pit Crew

Ever since I saw White Christmas as a kid I always wanted a Woody Wagon (1950 Plymouth Special De Luxe Station Wagon).

eighthtry
Intermediate Driver

My opinion only. One-offs should not be confused with cars that were generally available to all. Your headline should have been "Our 5 favorite woody wagons at Worldwide’s 2021 Scottsdale sale, plus a bonus". The 1934 Ford “Strathglass” Estate Wagon should not have made that list as other than a one-off.

Again, my opinion only. It was a neat list, regardless.