cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Our 5 favorite off-roaders from the Petersen’s “Extreme Conditions” exhibit

We may be a bit biased at Hagerty when we say that the Petersen Automotive Museum  is among our favorite museums in the country. We’ve had a relationship with the Los Angeles museum for years now, partnering to promote tours of its Vault . 

The latest exhibit at the Petersen, Extreme Conditions , focuses on off-road vehicles and includes a bit of everything from race to recreation. As far as Petersen displays go, this one is small—it contains about a dozen vehicles total—yet the variety is excellent. Here are five of our favorites.

Read the full article at Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/our-5-favorite-off-roaders-from-the-petersens-extreme-conditions...

16 REPLIES 16
hearsedriver
Intermediate Driver

which one? the Dodge power wagon, hands down. crawl through the boonies and cruise main street, not out of place in either location

red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

I would vote for the Power Wagon.

It may take a little longer, but it is definitely the "get you there" machine.

Has been since world war 2.

Just look at it ... DANG ! ... Gary V.

MattK
Detailer

Dodge Power Wagon, oh yeah.

baxnt
Passenger

I take objection to the statement without using any Fossil Fuel, I know this sounds good to the Green loving folks, but how much Fossil Fuel did it take to make the Biofuel, Yes the Biofuel is supposed to be cleaner but what about the fossil fuel used/burned to make it.  Just saying

Rob1
Instructor

Some nice rigs there,that Power Wagon is a killer piece and the Nova is just plain cool for me with snow 4 to 5 months of the year I would take the tracked Hummers pile the whole family dogs included in and hit the trails.Cheers

JohninNC
Advanced Driver

My buddy had a standard cab, long bed Toyota 4x4- 1988 I think with whatever version of the 22RE 4cylinder engine was out at that time, and auto trans.  3" lift and 33" tires and he could go through and over stuff that was terrifying.  I though we were going to die/ drown/ flip/ roll.  He paid like $1,800 for it, we took it on some LONG road trips too.  The good old days!  Not really applicable to this story but...

Alikat51
Pit Crew

Snortin Nortin Nova is a '73-'74 body, had a '73 myself and recognize the grill. It was a 2 year body. only change in  '74 was the big rubber bumper pads for government.  Just saying!

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Yeah, the original was an earlier model. We assume that the body was replaced with a newer body when it was rebuilt.
s083874
Pit Crew

Power Wagon with the split chassis. Brilliant for its time. And Now

PSuomela
Pit Crew

I’d take that ‘58 Jeep COE in a heartbeat!

chrlsful
Instructor

loved Peterson's as a kid (below 30 yrs/o) and still take a peak just at the news stand. Something usable, a new innovation? buy that issue.  One thing your article/pis remind us - there are a huge array of "off rd" events/styles just like st/strip/circle track/drag/SCCA, etc.  We do 'em purpose built and rule benders just the same.  Ahhhh - motorsports !

chrlsful
Instructor

loved Peterson's as a kid (below 30 yrs/o) and still take a peak just at the news stand. Something usable, a new innovation? buy that issue.  One thing your article/pic remind us - there are a huge array of "off rd" events/styles just like st/strip/circle track/drag/SCCA, etc.  We do 'em purpose built and rule benders just the same.  Ahhhh - motorsports !

Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

I’d take the PowerWagon!

OldRoad
Instructor

Concerning the H1 pair not using any fossil fuels. Bio fuels make the same and much maligned carbon footprint the fossil fuels do. So where is the Bio advantage when Bio fuels are much more expensive to produce. The write up gives the impression that the all Bio and no Fossil will untwists the twisted minds of the Climate Change Asylum.

specialtyerecto
Passenger

dodge power wagon

acooper529
Intermediate Driver

This is exactly what I have been pointing out for many months. Amidst all the hand wringing that we all see online, here is some "VERY COOL" without the BIG $$$ talk!

Thanks Hagerty for keeping it real for the everyday car and truck enthusiasts out there. Is there anything like this (museum) on or near the East Coast of our Great Country?

Would also love to see that Power Wagon frame mod up close. Any pictures out there?