cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Our 10 favorite hidden headlights

Modern car designers have it easy. They can sculpt jewel-like housings for their headlights and integrate them into the car’s bodylines almost seamlessly. Back in the days of sealed-beam headlamps, however, there were only so many options to choose from. And while many designers got creative, integrating the lamps into the car’s overall design, some of our favorite cars were available with headlights that were virtually invisible until needed.

We know, headlights go up, headlights go down. We love pop-up headlights too, but that’s for another discussion. Pop-up headlights are a form of hidden headlights, but we’re being completely arbitrary and defining those in this list as stationary headlights that are revealed when a panel opens up to reveal them. Here are 10 of our favorites.

Read the full list on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/our-10-favorite-hidden-headlights/

260 REPLIES 260
Passenger

C2 Corvettes ....were unique...they rolled... and what was cooler than rolling into Teds late in the evening  on Woodward with the housings closed and the headlamps blazing through the grille..... can’t do that with any of the others.... just remember to roll them up before pulling back on the road....the man was waiting😄

New Driver

Really?  No one thought of the 1937 Cord 812 supercharged Convertible?  Really?  I’m shocked - You all need to take a trip to the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana as punishment for this huge automotive history slight!

1975 Ferrari 308Gt4....and well said, the 928.

Pit Crew

In the 1970's I worked in a garage on the upper Eastside of Manhattan. In the garage parking section upstairs was a 1942 Desoto convertible in like new condition. About 15 years ago i started to wonder where is that car today?  It was midnight blue, black top and a beige interior. It was beautiful with a lot of trim.  Of course I was 20 years old and at the time it was just another old car to me.  You get older and wiser. I can't believe how rare that car must be. In the 50 years that have past I have never seen or even heard of another 1942 Desoto convertible.

New Driver

I loved that E brake type lever and  flush finish when open

Pit Crew

Cord?? Superchicken (Daytona)?? Alfa Montreal (FFS)??

Still got my favourite though... the clam-shell Riv's.

New Driver

How could the 1947-48 Davis not be on the list?

New Driver

Lots of people upset that the Opel GT and Corvette were excluded.  The author mentions they did not include pop up head lights which both the Vette and the Opel had.  Not sure if the Cord was a pop up or a an moving panel exposing the lights.  Great catch on the Galaxy by someone, only the LTD and the XL (and Country Squire wagon) had 'em.  Riviera though has to be the best.

Pit Crew

Second one I thought of after the Riv'.

Pit Crew

The 1966-1970 Chargers were such good looking cars it is hard to believe they are Mopars. The fuel fill requires special mention.