cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohm me, ohm my: Spark plug wires demystified

Fuel, air, compression, and spark. Those are the four things a gasoline-fuel engine needs to run properly. While it sounds pretty simple, the reality is that even vintage engines are quite picky about how each of these four items is attained. Today, let's dive into spark plug wires and the developments in technology that these simple conductors have experienced over the years.

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/ohm-me-ohm-my-spark-plug-wires-demystified/

Replies (4)

Replies (4)

Kyle — once again an excellent article.

Back in the mid-60’s, (which is also my current age,) I remember that while watching TV, via a rooftop antenna, naturally; we’d get the pop-pop-pop sounds from a passing car’s ignition system. It was almost always a Volkswagen.

The Accel-supplied graphics show the various layers a cable might have… Can a definition/explanation be provided for the layers’ purposes? (I know — check with Accel…)

What about the relationship between the coil, and its output, to what type of cable is best? We readers can probably find out what the coils in our cars are producing.

Finally, when do we get an article about sparkplugs? They seem to have developed their own “cult” followings. 

Thanks again. 

Pit Crew

My schooling was your average radio and EMI wire was at 10K ohms per foot. AM I correct?

Pit Crew

What is the advantage of high resistance wires? Low resistance was explained but not high resistance.

Passenger

Thanks from me, too.  Maybe also mention the different outside wire diameters?  For example, the Lucas distributor on my MG Midget won't take the larger 8mm diameter due to the design of the cap.  Also, some aftermarket distributors require resistance wire to stay in warranty.  Maybe also show that you can terminate resistance wire to create custom lengths.

Passenger