cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Northern Michigan barn find reveals a trove of 1934 Fords

Matt Murray runs Iron Trap Garage, a YouTube channel dedicated to preserving classic cars, hot rods, and speed parts. His newest video details how he recently found a fabulous stash of '34 Fords and spare parts. Well, technically the cars found Murray, as an email from the owner tipped him off about the score and offered them up for sale.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/video/northern-michigan-barn-find-reveals-a-trove-of-1934-fords/
23 REPLIES 23
Revellcraft02
Intermediate Driver

That is an amazing find. It would be interesting to see how each of those cars end up, whether they are restored, preserved, or modified.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

I am sure many folks would be excited by this trove of material, but the vehicles are too old; finding "original" parts is like chasing ghosts, and everything needs to be re-done pretty much from scratch. So for me, this is a nice story but I can already feel the headache coming on by opening one of these cans of worms from a rebuild perspective. Cool find though.
Billthecat707
Detailer

Wouldn't the restoration/reproduction market help there?
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

I wish you guys would stop over-using and diluting the term "barn find". When a guy e-mails you and says "I've got a barn full of cars I'd like to sell", that's not a barn find. That's Craigslist.
cestor01
Intermediate Driver

A-MEN!! "Barn-finds" would be extremely rare these days. (i.e. someone comes across an old car that someone had stuck in a barn years ago, and it turns out to be a very valuable car when the owner of the barn just thought it was an old junker). I am sure we will still have barn finds in 20 years, but those will be of a Miata or something that isn't so valuable now, but is in much higher demand later.
TransAm-forever
Pit Crew

I totally agree as well. The way the word "barn-find" is often used these days frankly offends me.
TG
Instructor

A barn find in my mind is a largely complete car. I don't see any evidence that any of these have drivetrains
jaysalserVW
Detailer

What a fortunate find--and, before some disaster destroyed them all. It is a nice touch that the owner decided to part with them while he still is living. He has gotten to see them off to good conservators!
Too many people hoard cars and car parts, only to die and leave them for someone else to eliminate at
an impersonal auction.
chrlsful
Instructor

glad he hada few floor bds replaced. Kept up the rest of the barn.
A lill respect to the vehicles. Many do NOT. One shots shows
new doors'n newer metal roof (75 - 100 yr life span).
Like the later '30s on usa classics
(thru very early 50s)
only.
rokky
Intermediate Driver

What a GREAT find.
I could spend all day just wondering through that Barn.
OldFordMan
Detailer

"34 Five Window is "Creme de la Creme". Sassiest ever made!
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

It's neat to think how many cars are stored away. I have one, nobody sees it unless they go in the garage. HA! Gotta get it on the road again, '29 Ford. Same with 1980's BMX bikes and skateboards, pure gold stored away in attics, basements, garages, sheds....
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Forgot to mention, with the electric vehicle platforms coming out, how about rebodying a wrecked nearly new electric car with one of these. That would be cool.
dd1
Intermediate Driver

Nice treasure trove of old cars and parts. As someone who values originality it would sure be nice if some of these cars could be restored as close as possible to original condition as when they came off Ford's assembly plant way back when. I realize replacement parts may be hard to come by so perhaps "restore" to original condition may be overly optimistic and rather naive. If this is the case then I at least hope they can be "replicated" as close as possible to original condition using as many salvageable parts as possible!:)
Patrician
Intermediate Driver

I once scored a barn full of 1964-1966 Thunderbird convertibles and parts. I knew I did good when one of the first boxes I opened was an NOS AM/FM factory radio. Finds like this are far and few between today. Believe me I've been looking.
Rob1
Instructor

Wow as you drive around the country past old barns everywhere you always want to stop and take a look because of stories like this but ya might get a load of birdshot in the butt just how much gold is still out there waiting to be found great article great find Brandan.Cheers R
FloridaMarty
Intermediate Driver

Great find for sure. Lets not lose sight of the fact, that these cars are one man's unrealized dreams. I loved his detailed stories of how and who he got them from. The stories are what makes the cars interesting. Life moves quickly, don't lose sight. Too many times cars don't get finished, and you watch someone haul them away.
Billthecat707
Detailer

Finally, someone with sense. So many of these articles are heartbreaking when the show fields and barns full vintage and muscle cars rotting into the ground. But the owner won't sell anything " 'cause he's gonna get to it someday", and he's over 70. So many collectible cars lost that way.
RoadDog
Intermediate Driver

Judging from the photos that barn is pretty old, but it must be pretty weather-tight after all these years. Northern Michigan, and the cars don't even look too rusty. Quite a find!
lockitt
Pit Crew

There are still finds to be made, albeit they are getting rarer, but they are still there.
I often hear of finds here in my local area in Australia and realize that I have driven past that garage, or shed, a thousand times and did not have any idea of what automotive gem was lazing inside.
TonyT
Instructor

My crystal ball says Bob Drake is going to make lots of money...
hanjindozo
New Driver

Growing up, my great-uncle and aunt had a place in the country with a barn just like this one. In it sat an untouched '34 3-window, parked there since he bought a new 1953 Chrysler. I went in the barn to look at the car each time we visited as my love for old cars grew. It didn't end up in my garage but there will never be another sight as pure as that barn and that car.
RiFon14
New Driver

The barn itself is super cool, along with the contents inside.