cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

New "bubble car" club celebrates those diminutive rides of the 1950s and '60s | Hagerty Media

In the years following World War II, Germany's industrial base was in ruins. Those manufacturers that were able to function were limited in what they could build; companies such as BMW and Messerschmitt were forbidden from manufacturing airplanes and aero engines.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/new-bubble-car-club-celebrates-those-diminutive-rides-of-the-1950...
9 REPLIES 9
Mike_E_V
Detailer

In the mid 60's as a junior in high school my good friend Dan, who was 6' 3" tall, owned a Lloyd. It was very narrow and we could go through alleys slated only for pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Travel through town was much quicker utilizing those thoroughfares other vehicles could not negotiate. Funny part? He actually fit comfortably in the car. Several of my classmates owned mini cars in an age filled with GTO's, Mustangs, Chevelle's and the like.
Bevelfan
New Driver

These are all fun little cars. Just trying to imagine driving one amidst all of the behemoths on the roads nowadays.
spark123
Detailer

Love it!!

What is the cool looking yellow convertible sitting in front of the museum?

I always liked the Austin Mini Moke
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

Looks like a Berkeley to me. Made in England, if I remember correctly the original version had rear wheels with a much narrower tread width (distance between wheels) than the front. Small displacement motorcycle engine in front.
77GL
Intermediate Driver

Can Elios join?
shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

About 30 years ago a friend purchased a small farm in Colorado that had an old chicken coop and stuffed in a corner of the coop was an old micro car that was of unknown make. With my assistance, we dismantled the portion of the coop where the tiny car had been lovingly covered by numerous chickens by applying their own special protective coating over many years.
Upon getting the car out in the light of day and giving it some up close and personal time with a pressure washer, we discovered a 1959 Glas Goggomibil T400 2door sedan in remarkably good condition. The doors and windows had been sealed tight over the years and the interior was in surprisingly good condition. It wasn’t long before the tiny air-cooled 2 cylinder motor was propelling the little car down the road, shifted by a stubby gearshift knob protruding from the center of the dash where one would typically expect to find a radio.
Vauxhall
Pit Crew

Hey Rob, nice to see that you are still around and involved with micro cars. You probably don't remember but you purchased a Fuldamobile from me in the 1990s. It was in eastern Pennsylvania. I was part of the HMI club and still have the sticker on my 57 Isetta 300.

I have moved to the Midwest since then with the Isetta and have picked up a DAF and Lloyd while out here. Also have a Goliath Tiger that I picked up in Wilkes Barre, PA.

Still remember a show that you had in New Jersey and how I got turned around on a highway ramp and wound up on I 80 in the Isetta. You know the car will go 50 mph when in fear of being swallowed up by a semi.

Take care.
Rob_M
New Driver

Hi Bob, I can tell you I bought the Fulda from you on Dec. 4, 1993!  Still have your signed receipt.  Wow, that was a long time ago.  Great to hear from you.  I've diversified my interests a bit over the years (motorcycles and Italian sports cars), but still love microcars.  Wow, a Goliath Tiger, how cool.  When you're ready to sell it, let me know.  What Lloyd do you have?  Mine is a '59 Alexander TS Sedan.  Best regards, Rob

Vauxhall
Pit Crew

Hi Rob, my Lloyd is a 1960 Alexander TS that I picked up out of barn in Wisconsin. Blue and white but it's been neglected for years. Also have a 1969 Fiat 850 spider that is a driver.
I will have to look at the new club and may just have to join. Is Isetta John still around?
Be good, Bob