cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

New MG sports car is coming, after more a decade's wait

Following the death of the MG TF in 2011, a new MG roadster seemed unlikely under its new Chinese owners at SAIC Motor. The marque is better known nowadays for its European-market crossovers and MG5 electric estate car, its historic homes in Abingdon and Longbridge demolished after the collapse of MG Rover in 2005.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/new-mg-sports-car-is-coming-after-more-a-decades-wait/
103 REPLIES 103
PRScott
Instructor

call it whatever they want. MG died years ago and exists only as a meaningless nameplate.
hunternicholas
Detailer

Well said, thank you.
Stixx
Detailer

front view is good , smiley face bodywork, year is butt ugly and side view is , well typical of current models. When I think of MG though , I think of something more on the scale of the Miata and Fiat 124 Spyder , the latter of which I bought in 1971 and enjoyed ten years use of it and sold it for what I paid for it new. That is inmyview classic sport car minimum requirement. This clay job looks good and modern and maybe not retro enough. Needs a grill at minus even though the front is not as ugly as the back and maybe it is too curvy for the MG legacy , but what do I know . cheers
5869Corvette
Intermediate Driver

I know this shouldn’t be a political platform but…. I’m not buying anything made in China or owned by Chinese companies. How ironic, they are denying that Hong Kong was ever a British colony but are happy to have a Union Jack on a car and tout its British heritage.
Tim
Technician

By "anything," I'm guessing you mean just vehicles. Because if you really mean *anything*, you are going to struggle finding an option for some things. I try to minimize what I purchase from China, but until manufacturers diversify to other emerging countries, in some cases, you're stuck with China or you go without.
5869Corvette
Intermediate Driver

I did mean cars however I try to avoid buying anything made in China. Just renovated a house and did my best to buy local and North American.  I could go on about China but this is not the forum. 

MiniMig
Pit Crew

Absolutely! The roadside assistance industry is contracting due to the increase in vehicle reliability. A new MG is just what is needed to "jump start" their number of tows!
ctclark99
Pit Crew

Smokefoot55 has it right! And no chinese Chryslers!
Miata is probably way more than three times the car and the Japanese aren't out to destroy us.
hunternicholas
Detailer

Well said sir, thank you.
ed
Advanced Driver

uh....it takes more than a badge. Honestly, nothing from China will feel like anything other than something from China.
77GL
Detailer

last year’s concept touted a sub-3 second 0-to-60 time and a 497-mile range from a new generation of battery hardware.

What are the anti EV folks going to whine about now? EVs only mean more gas for them, I do not get all the whining.
hunternicholas
Detailer

I'd say the whining is about that we're being forced toward electrics. But maybe it won't go that way in the long run. As well, anyone that puts study into the picture behind electric cars and their batteries will learn that they are much-much worse for the environment than ICE cars, as well as human rights violations. It was pretty sickening when I learned the truth. We're being lied to, and it all goes back to money being made for those at the top.
toy83h2ssj53
Intermediate Driver

Years ago, Road & Track ran an article, I think it was maybe like an editorial, about all the pollution that was being endured, and it sounded just like the modern complaints. Turns out that the article was written at the turn of the century, and the culprit was all the horse manure that was polluting the air and dust being generated, but it could have been written even today. The whiners aren't taking into consideration all the costs, and the pollution being generated even today to get to this "miraculous EV revoulution" that is supposed to cure all ailments. Received an
e-mail the other day itemizing what is made from a gallon of crude oil, and only 19% is our gasoline. The rest are plastics, pharmaceuticals, tires, etc, too numerous to post here. EVs are fine, but with all the pollution and costs that they contribute to our planet, they are just a political football. Follow the money.
CTK
Pit Crew

Well, I bet if it was an electric car, with a Lucas electrical system, that would be rather interesting combination 🙂
hunternicholas
Detailer

Hahahahaha!!!! Good one!
Rider79
Technician

OMG!!!
gpsuya
Advanced Driver

Another electric kit car..not interested
tygar
Pit Crew

Well when I first saw the lead, "Should MG make another roadster", it was a definite "yes", when I saw they were made in china - "HELL NO"! Will NEVER buy one from the commies, & try not to buy ANYTHING made from there. I have had MGs off & on since the 60s & currently have a hot, modified 1980 & would welcome one in a similar size & style, with upgraded mechanics. Tired of spending 4k for a good fuel injection system, & another few k for a 5sp from a Z car. "DON'T" buy this from the commies & try not to buy "anything" from them! They are trying to ruin US, & rule the world. Tom USMC
hunternicholas
Detailer

Good for you! And thank you for saying that.
Answering the question in the subject field of the email I received, that sent me this article.
"Should MG Make a Roadster Again?"
I don't care if they make a roadster. And the "Again" part isn't possible since British Leyland no longer exists. As stated, China now owns MG and the once beloved label. Therefore, I have no interest in even seeing one. In truth, we already have to buy too much from China because of the way things have gone. But every penny that we spend on Chinese goods is support in one of the worst communist governments in the world. Anyone engaging into light study of China's government will quickly learn the horrors they invoke (as in, to use a law in order to achieve something) on a daily basis.
I don't care what they build or however nice it is, it's never going to meet a criterion that I have (and all of us should have) of intolerance for the human suffering that China imposes onto helpless people in their country. So, I'm certainly not going to buy a fake MG from them.
DrDog
Pit Crew

The designers fail to pay homage to the unique stylistic elements of the MGB. Oh wait, there's the MG Badge on the front. It looks like a Miata. Dud!
YesDear
Intermediate Driver

The CCPs goal is to dominate the world both economically and militarily, thus I buy as little as possible from China. Current events in Ukraine illustrate how foolish it is to subsidize a potential adversary.
How many reminders do we need?
hunternicholas
Detailer

Thank you for saying that.
Answering the question in the subject field of the email I received, that sent me this article.
I don't care if they make a roadster. And the "Again" part isn't possible since British Leyland no longer exists. As stated, China now owns MG and the once beloved label. Therefore, I have no interest in even seeing one. In truth, we already have to buy too much from China because of the way things have gone. But every penny that we spend on Chinese goods is support in one of the worst communist governments in the world. Anyone engaging into light study of China's government will quickly learn the horrors they invoke (as in, to use a law in order to achieve something) on a daily basis.
I don't care what they build or however nice it is, it's never going to meet a criterion that I have (and all of us should have) of intolerance for the human suffering that China imposes onto helpless people in their country. So, I'm certainly not going to buy a fake MG from them.
IGotNuthin
New Driver

Drove a 73 MG in high school and college. Nothing about this has any ties to the original.
eighthtry
Advanced Driver

That thing should have some touch of resemblance. Plenty of people with money, baby boomers, would pick up on it. I don't think someone 70 years old would exclude considering an MG as a part time car.
Rick2
Instructor

Like a few others have said, if it is made in China the hell no! And please don't forget that GM is selling a Chinese made cuv in this country called the Envision. They should be ashamed of themselves after we bailed them out. If you can not keep Buick alive without being a traitor then kill the brand here. I don't mind if you make money there but not here with commie crap!
hunternicholas
Detailer

I'm completely in agreement with you. But I thought the Envision was built here. ???
Maybe I'm wrong on the model's name, I recall the article stating that it was Buick's top of the line vehicle.
btukwh
Intermediate Driver

I thought the Miata was the successor to the MG.

Curious to see if there will be a big demand for a Chinese interpretation. I don't care much for the arrow shaped tail lights. More like a construction sign than a proper tail end.
Keefe
Pit Crew

the car that needs to be recreated is the Opel GT; let Honda buy the rights, put in a V-6, leather, amped radio and that's all you need for a half price Vette....and those headlights just POP!....
GRP_Photo
Instructor

No need for a V-6. Mine would do 105 mph all day long with the bigger 4. Got its best mileage at 85 mph. I was a little disconcerting looking up at the top of a semi's tires, though.
Keefe
Pit Crew

you need that V-6 to pull the a/c and options; I would also offer a turbo....
WFU-SPE_75
Pit Crew

Wasn’t that the Saturn Sky?  Same contemporary “mini-Corvette” profile from GM-Europe.  My friend, who owned a new Opel GT, and later, a classic ‘72 Stingray, seems to think so.

WFU-SPE_75
Pit Crew

My 2nd car, and 1st new car, was a ‘74 TR6, purchased for $3900 plus my trade right before college graduation. I’ve since owned two NA Miatas, and two 350Zs.
I love what Mazda and Fiat have done producing a modern 124 Spider. So yes, a new MG roadster intrigues me. Even an “MGE” would be a logical step forward in today’s world. Maybe it will be roomier inside than the original “B” or even the MX5 NA.
But, all that said, and living in this strange reality where it’s difficult to find anything sold in America that’s not produced by slave labor controlled by the Chinese Communist Party, we have many, many choices of auto manufacturers. No matter the allure, I cannot countenance purchasing an automobile made or funded by the CCP.
hunternicholas
Detailer

Thank you very much for saying that. Too many commenting here don't know, and they need to.
richard2
Intermediate Driver

Buying the badge does not make it an MG; in the same way the Mini is long gone, so is the MG.
bobo
Pit Crew

Doesn't matter! It is made in CHINA........... Run Away...........
hunternicholas
Detailer

TG
Gearhead

The type of car MG was back in the day just doesn't exist anymore
dd1
Detailer

Putting aside the questionable wisdom of buying a car from a country that's a potential military, ideological and political enemy of the U.S., I cringe to hear the word roadster and EV used in the same breath. I'm an NA Miata guy who cherishes the wonderful British lineage from which the Miata came. When someone mentions "MG", I think of the real '60s British roadster, just as I think of the real Spitfires, the real Sprites...and the real Miata. To me a "proper roadster" is not a rolling computer on four wheels powered by electric motors and batteries like a child's toy. I don't care how fast it goes. I'll stick to my wonderfully simple, charming little NA Miata! I guess I'm just not progressive or politically correct enough for the day and age I live in. Hey, does that mean I'm...old??:)
Doug42
Intermediate Driver

Who in their right mind would want a Chinese Communist MG? This has been the free world’s problem for the last fifty years since Nixon oped the door to China. Rant over.
HELIDR
Intermediate Driver

My very first car was an MGA twin cam. Think it might have been either a '61 or more likely a '62. Despite some British electrical "issues"...just like my bought new '67 Triumph Bonneville, which I own, I loved that car! Despite the Plexiglas slider windows... Many good times were had in that car including driving with my buddy in the passenger seat and my girlfriend sitting between us...:))))
Dr. John
PS...after I sold her, I bought a '56 T-bird...black with the removable white hardtop. That was a great car as well. Took them both to a local dragstrip. Think the MGA ran in the 22 second range, but the T-bird was much faster. I really miss those analog days!!!
Pegleg01
Detailer

Only if the manufacturer will guarantee that the ghost of 'Lucas, The British Crown Prince of Darkness on the Edge of Town' will not inhabit any future MG vehicle. And ditch the 'arrow' rear turn Indicators immediately.

I am a former MG customer from the mid 70's.
WFU-SPE_75
Pit Crew

Sorry; I did not intend to repeat my comment. 

WFU-SPE_75
Pit Crew

Sorry; I did not intend to repeat my comment. 

MattLaube
Intermediate Driver

I currently have a 69 and highly modified 75 MGB. A Chinese ev with a MG badge stuck on it does nothing for me. Just like a MG 1100 that was actually a Austin "america"....or Morris whatever. But this POS won't be /isn't even made in the UK. Just like when Colmans ready made mustard and Harp beer weren't made in their "first" country....poor substitute for the original. Warts, Lucas,rust, SU's etc etc and all- It's the challenge not the end result. A missing link would be the smell just like a German horse hair seat base! Double pass...
Oldroad1
Gearhead

No more China exports to our shores.
jaysalserVW
Advanced Driver

We would want yet another product from China?
BigDre2022
New Driver

Like some others here, I would have preferred a more retro styled MG, based on either of the roadsters (MGA or MGB) or even the GT. But, I am happy to see the revival of the marke just the same and will seriously consider purchasing one if it is determined to be 'MG worthy'...
AZDon
Pit Crew

They should name it the Wuhan Roadster. Or Chinese Communist Party mobile. Wake up people, stop buying Chinese garbage.
AZDon
Pit Crew

The MG-CCP….
acooper529
Advanced Driver

Make it look more like an MGB with a long legged 4 spd + OD and an Abarth exhaust and see what people think about that!