cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

New EV skateboard to power future classics | Hagerty Media

An innovative lightweight modular electric vehicle platform developed by a British startup is aimed squarely at niche manufacturers who want to go green. The Watt Electric Vehicle Company 's PACES (Passenger And Commercial Vehicle EV Skateboard) has been designed to be adaptable to a wide range of machines, from six-wheeled trucks and buses to sports cars.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/new-ev-skateboard-to-power-future-classics/
159 REPLIES 159
artwisc
Pit Crew

When the separate chassis/body construction changed to unibody construction the era of the custom body builder was over. The skateboard chassis will allow somewhat of a renaissance if governments can be convinced to allow a small number of vehicles to be built without requiring expensive crash testing of each design. I think this is a great idea!
VicW
Pit Crew

They are solving a problem that does not exist. In doing so they are manufacturing numerous new problems that we do not currently have. They are however destroying art, beauty and mankind.
bpar73
Intermediate Driver

British and electric in the same sentence sounds a little scary to me. But with the automakers all hellbent on going all electric, like it or not, the handwriting is on the wall. Sometime in the future, thankfully I'm an old guy, there isn't going to be a gas station on every corner. Sad but true.
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

Automakers are only hell bent on making EVs because governments are introducing laws that will make the sale of ICE vehicles illegal in the next few years. It has nothing to do with consumer demand. Pretty simple.
bpar73
Intermediate Driver

True. They've seen the handwriting on the wall. The results are going to be the same.
TonyT
Instructor

Don't worry! Lucas will still allow you to walk home!
llawrence9
Intermediate Driver

Jay Leno's Baker video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnjMdzGusc.

Buy a totaled Leaf electric and do a Spridget.

Having a cute British sports car that is silent, doesn't leak, and goes all the time.

SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Dune buggies. Put a Meyers Manx tub on that, and you'll really have something fun and sporty.
32hotrod
New Driver

Reminds me of the geezers in The Villages of Florida, customizing their golf carts to resemble '57 Chevys, T-birds and Corvettes. I'll pass.
Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

I’m getting a bit off topic but as a collector of old cars I’m wondering if in the future we’ll still be allowed to drive ICE vehicles on public roads? To take it one step further, will we still be allowed to drive anything on a public road, ICE or EV? Perhaps everything will give way to self driven vehicles. Also will gasoline be readily available for ICE vehicles? Just wondering if at some point it will be so difficult to drive one of my old vehicles that they become nothing more than museum pieces. Also how will this impact on their value?
MotorManMark
Intermediate Driver

yes SK you hit the nail on the head ... whatever your fancy, enjoy it NOW because things as we know it ARE changing, in time not too far away things WILL be different!!
jjw
Intermediate Driver

Seriously...  For virtually all here, reading these words, gas and oil will be readily available for the remainder of your lives...  ICEs are still being built by the millions and will be for some time.  Rapidly cutting off the fuel supply would be impossible and catastrophic for the vast majority.  Those here 75 - 100 years from now...  things most likely will be different.

turquoisetom
Pit Crew

Yea, I want to turn my 54' Corvette into an EV! I also want a giant slot car track to run it on.
SLAVENDER
Pit Crew

I would absolutely do this on the right car. For instance, Porshe 356? NO. 1958 Corvette? NO. 1977 280Z? YES. 1970 Daytona Charger? NO. 1990s Honda Prelude? YES. 2007 CRV? YES.
Beyond these kinds of judgments, a few other things come into play. What is the range? 230 miles? Not enough. 300 miles? About the minimum I would consider. Price? Absolutely critical. It needs to be affordable, and that may rely on the companies selling in volume.
Finally, I think this is a great idea for the right person with the right need. Plus we all know that British automotive electronics have a reputation (related to) reliability. Hmmm.
drhino
Instructor

Like many here, it saddens/infuriates/confuses me why folks insist on modifying vehicles instead of leaving them as produced. For us, this EV conversion stuff feels like the ultimate insult. Obviously; there are many who want to modify everything; and some who think this is a great idea. Free will, baby! The pro and con EV arguments have been discussed ad nauseam; I just wish it was left to the market to decide— let them stand or fall on their own.

The only thing we preservationists have going for us: the more folks chop up their vehicles; the more rare and historically significant our stuff becomes. Assuming anyone cares.
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

Nice sentiment, but when liberal governments don’t feel the masses are switching to EVs fast enough, they will simply make it illegal for consumers to buy gas and diesel. And then no matter how value your preserved vehicle was, it’s now rendered worthless if you can’t buy fuel anymore. Don’t believe me? Three words - presidential executive order.
OldRoad
Instructor

I'll convert my old burners to alcohol and build a giant distillery in my back yard. I'll hang a big sign on it saying "Ain't fer drinkin" to keep the revenuers away.
jjw
Intermediate Driver

Wow... lot of negativity here... of the old fuddy-duddy "that new rock and roll will rot your mind" type of comments.
I actually see much to like here... maybe not for re-powering an actual classic, but for the kit car industry making "classic silhouette" cars (Factory 5, etc...)...
The one thing I wish the developers of such things would do is to program the E-power systems to have a power and torque curve to mimic an internal combustion engine... or at least a mode that one could select... relatively easy to do with today's available tech. Put in a standard transmission and a clutch and you've got a clean car with all the hands-on fun of vintage... The possibilities are endless.
Just one old guys opinion...
Tim
Instructor

I should have known better than to start reading the comments. Mostly bickering between hard-headed people who wouldn't change their views no matter how much conversation there was. Very few people actually discussing the pros and cons of what it means to change the chassis/powerplant of an older/classic vehicle into an EV.

Some classics have new parts being produced. The idea of taking an actual classic Mustang and making it a Frankenstein EV might not be palatable, but what if someone bought new bodywork to create something of a retro-modern Mustang? Is that sacrilege or OK? Car makers do similar things with their nameplates.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

I really like the concept but I have a problem. It appears that they make only one "Skateboard". With present vehicle systems this system could be connected to any body and interior that you want with several bolts and a wire connector making this a body swap that would allow an owner to have several bodies but one driveline that is a huge plus. The down side is that the suspension and brakes stay the same. Great if you want several cars that look the same, and it looks like they are going sports car here. What if you want a sports car, a station wagon, and a pickup? You will have to pick how your skateboard performs and then any part of that performance that can not be changed by a computer is what you are stuck with. so you end up with a pickup that can't carry much or a sports car that sticks to the road like a pickup.

As for the EV vs IC battle, I'm sure your great grandparents really saw no reason to believe that cars and trucks would ever be better than carts and carriages. Trucks will never be able to out haul trains right?
60Caddy
Pit Crew

Lets put our recently hand made old tire sandals on, open up a granola bar and contemplate the carbon emissions produced to mine Graphite and process it, manufacture a battery with a three year life span, toss it in the recycle bin when we purchase thousands of dollars worth of replacements, plug her into the wall from your nearest coal burning, or natural gas burning electrical plant, and we are not far off the early days of burning wood to make steam for a steam powered car.
RayBrandes
Pit Crew

Sixty,

Seems at best, EV's are only marginally greener than gas burners.

The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

RayBrandes
Pit Crew

Until they solve the storage problem, electric cars are not green.
StingrayDG
Pit Crew

Dang. I really have to remember to not read comments on these articles. Take it for what it is, y’all - engineering evolution. We can’t burn fossils forever.
I’d drop a classic detroit body on something like this in a heartbeat. With (recent) EV horses delivering 0-60 in under 3 seconds... heck yea I’m in!!
Tinkerah
Technician

I'd be delighted to be given one but don't imagine myself buying one. I will admit that I'm excited that someone's offering it. It would be fantastic under a kit body like a dune buggy or a Bradley. Anyone triggered enough by the idea to puke is likely too tender for the discussion and should avert their gaze.
Historian
Detailer

No way, no how!
OldFordMan
Detailer

HUH? And give up my dear old friend "the flathead"? And what about my 551 hp Mustang Cobra?
The click of the flattie, the roar of the pony......NEVER!
Look kiddies do what you want I will keep on doing what I want.
MotorManMark
Intermediate Driver

To be a fly on the wall in the late 1800's "motor cars, what's this world coming to" as they ride away in their horse drawn carriage ...

I for one embrace the technology!
Alt arguments aside, I can appreciate the testosterone driven feeling and the sounds of a combustion engine as it propel us at terrific g-forces. I guess it's going to take some time for many to get use to a quiet vehicle doing the same thing, maybe even better ...

When some of our heroes such as Don Garlits can embrace the technology, I'm amazed why many loathe it? Are they in fear of loosing the immortal combustion engine? That won't happen but the fuel may change!!!
TonyT
Instructor

Even Don Garlits at his advanced age can walk a quarter-mile back to the trailer if his Top Volt dragster quits running... His Dodge Challenger DragPak still swills racing carbon-based gasoline.
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

The only reason EVs are here to stay is to due to laws that guarantee their sales. Such as making it illegal to buy new gas and diesel vehicles. Which is why Tesla can manufacture less the 1% of new vehicles worldwide, lose money on every car sold (Telsa profits are based on carbon credit sales, not cars), and be valued at more than the top 12 auto manufacturers COMBINED. Hmmm. If EVs were actually superior to ICE-powered vehicles, they would sell on their own. And would be profitable. But freedom of choice is no longer fashionable in North America, so hip hip hooray for EV’s!
Hooper70
New Driver

I'll drive anything that has 500ft-lbs of torque, weighs 2,200lbs and handles great!
67CougGuy
Pit Crew

SUCH FUN !!...
In my semi-humble opinion, there's ALWAYS good reason to "Grow with the Times", especially when it might be possible to take 'even some modest steps' in the direction of reducing negative effects on our World's Ozone Layer.

Let's all face it..... if nobody (including ol' 'Henry') hadn't repeatedly thrown "new stuff" at his original 'vehicle-for-the-masses'...
"We would all be --likely pushing-- our pitiful-black-rigs around, trying our very-best to 'get some place'!" Can you imagine the mess of a "Costco Parking Lot" under those conditions??!!??

Seems to me:
1) If "Global Warming" is a real-thing, and
2) If "Slowly" replacing the existing fossil fuel burners with an alternate means of a vehicle's propulsion.... employing an OUTRIGHT-CLEAN system....
3) Then... "Why-the-heck NOT??!!??!"

BRAVO(!!) to the inventors out there who are following in ol' 'Henry's-and-later-folks' footsteps and Creating Stuff that might be better for our World.... ~while allowing them to maintain a Business Entity at the same time!
**I would certainly appreciate an opportunity to festoon a 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Body/Interior over an 'electric skateboard'**
Full Stop!
JAG
Intermediate Driver

I get it, EV's are only growing. I have friends that own the Tesla S and they love them so even though I don't own I know they are really fast, faster than any combustion driven car, but fun.... So does it sound like a flat plane crank Ferrari, a Coyote, or a SB/LS/LT Chevy? Tell me about the thrill of the hearing that electric motor spool up. And Handling? At least the battery weight is so low in the body you don't feel all that mass. Every try to fix, let along modify a Tesla? They don't let you touch anything more than tires and brakes. How far are you going on a charge in that EV truck pulling a car trailer? (maybe wrong here you can put a spare battery or gas generator on the trailer!) Lastly how long was that drive from say Ann Arbor to Atlanta? I went straight through with one 15 min fuel stop. Maybe in 20 years this will get it figured out. The aftermarket will adjust, but the party is over.
Maestro1
Instructor

As much as I detest what technology has done to our society this is the first time I've read about something that makes sense. As opposed to GM, which is making ridiculous claims about being all electric by 2035 which is absurd for no other reason than some of the ingredients in batteries which
can mostly be found only in places like the Congo. This is an attractive concept because it has multiple application, a 280 mile range, and I'm sorry to say will be slow in acceptance here (USA)
because there are not enough charging stations. Nor are there enough technicians to fix the cars when they get sour for some reason. But it's a great start and for those of you who would take it seriously, I am, look at a Scarab sports car; beautiful lines, great application for this chassis.
Thank you for this. All Hagerties stay well.
dtniners
Pit Crew

This defeats the whole purpose of a classic car! It is about wrenching on the car, driving down the road hearing the 4,6,or 8 cylinder motor screamin'! Don't ruin a classic by trying to make it something is isn't. Leave these platforms for the modern cars and leave the classics alone! There is not enough classic cars out there to make any difference to the so called green effect. These electric cars have their environmental downfalls also!
rootine4
Pit Crew

I have been regaled by my 18 year old son for several years now about the performance of this or that Tesla model. I have always had the same answer, "Wow, but they would have to add one feature to suit me: the sound of a small block Chev."

Then this week GM announces it will be all EV by year x.

I guess I will have to face facts about EV. And I will still have my 427 Corvette as I will only be in about my mid-60's. Will there be a market for a 505 HP internal combustion engine? Will there be a market for a former 505 HP internal combustion engine powered roadster that has been converted to electric?
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

Remember how you voted when the upcoming “clunkers for EV’s” program is introduced, probably within a year - or less. Crush your ICE cars and trucks for a big credit on a new EV! Paid for by taxpayers! And when enough ICE vehicles are crushed, watch gas stations start to close, and quickly. And then watch your classic turn into worthless yard art because you can no longer drive it! Enjoy!
TaRule
New Driver

I'm torn on this. One the one hand, EV resto mods or whatever we end up calling these are clearly here to stay and quite possibly the future if we want to keep these old cars on the road. And I welcome it. BUT on the other hand, I feel like going as far as replacing the whole chassis and drivetrain with this generic skateboard platform robs said classic of most of its character and the driving experience that makes a classic desirable (to me).
Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

There's nothing "practical" about personal transportation that goes 250-400 miles and then has to sit for 4-8 hours to go another 250-400 miles. They're not practical to build/power due to the availability of materials required to power them. So for me it's a non-starter. I'll wait for Mr. Fusion on the rear deck. As for putting this "skateboard" under my 70 Chevelle....nope. Electric has (and does) work well for mass transportation...
fd797
Pit Crew

Great, now the LS swap market is going to dry up (sarcasm here...). Really though, it is an interesting line to decide what to keep original to a classic car, and not. I personally think it abhorrent to put a Chevrolet engine in anything but a Chevrolet, as an example. But, I see a lot reasons why people do an LS swap - availability, fuel injection - after all, an engine is just an engine, right? Do the trans with it for an overdrive or two, then, do the brakes, and the suspension. Pretty soon, the ride starts to become a new car, that looks like an old car. Certainly drives like a new car. So, an EV drivetrain? Well, it is better than the Chevrolet drivetrain isn't it. No gears at all, no fuel injection - why not? It's just an engine, after all.
ValterPrieto
Pit Crew

So, no more a classic, right?
This EV wave should be restricted to public people movers and fleet vehicles, not for cars that drive emotions on human beings.
erne75
Intermediate Driver

BORING!!! If I wanted the vacuous and unexciting experience of electrical transportation I would buy one of the boring Teslas. I think people looking for the classic experience wouldnt want this at all...This looks more like a visionary solution for when Governments start taxing and down right banning ICE vehicles. Tyrannical Governments being what they are it is probably coming soon. Lets see how it goes. I would be burning gas as long as I can!
Maestro1
Instructor

It was inevitable. and appropriate, as much as I detest technology. It's an excellent concept, 280 mile range, great for sports cars on weekends as well as running around doing errands on weekdays. There are two issues: The first is very obviously cost, and the next is charging station infrastructure,
which in the US is virtually nonexistant. Once up to scale however prices should recede and I for one would seriously at that point into installing this in a Scarab which I have found on an annoying web site. In a moment of irrational thought I was wondering about the '66 Impala I have in the barn, waiting for renewal when the Virus gets under control here. I am on the Left Coast. It just got disc brakes in the front. Now it won't start. Anyway. I support the British in their endevour. Thank you for this.
CP66
Intermediate Driver

Interesting concept, won't happen in my lifetime but may be a viable way to keep the classics on the road in spirit at least.
omac
Intermediate Driver

I like the concept. Adding a universal EV platform is awesome. Can't wait to see what kind of cars, trucks, busses whatever is developed. I love my 1972 Lincoln Mark IV and will keep it forever. But if an EV is designed the way I like and is fast sounds good to me. Classic cars are here to stay one really has nothing to do with the other.
chrlsful
Instructor

USA better Katsup,
we need some funding, big time (2nd only to the Covid war)
enuff for multiple (top notch) teams~
acooper529
Intermediate Driver

I like the idea of a "ready to go" platform, including full suspension and all necessary accessory harnesses with lots of available adapters for most popular uses...

BUT... I also believe that the cost will kill the enthusiasm for most common applications. Of course, some of the mostly publicly funded US research labs can jump right in line!

I have started a 75 year savings plan to get one of those 750k (plus donor car) Corvette EV conversions built! I will be around 143 years old when I finally pick it up! Can't wait!
SL65
Intermediate Driver

@97

Let me explain the science behind "climate change".

Solar energy hits the Earth's atmosphere as light. Some of it bounces off of reflective white things like clouds and ice, and some of it heats up darker things like rock and dirt and ocean. This energy is radiated out to space as heat -- not light.

Carbon dioxide is just as transparent to light as the rest of the gases in the atmosphere. However Air rich in carbon dioxide has a higher R value than than air with a low carbon dioxide content -- so while an increase in carbon dioxide doesn't stop solar energy coming in, it prevents it from leaving.

As a result there is an increase in atmospheric temperature which causes an increase in ocean evaporation, and an increase in the "Water Cycle" -- more clouds, more wind, more "weather". So some places will get hotter, some wetter, some windier, some drier, and extreme weather events increase -- Hurricane seasons get more.extreme, deserts expand, glaciers retreat, and etc.

But perhaps a better argument for reducing fossil fuel consumption is that it is wasteful. Asphalt, plastics, fertilisers, pharmaceuticals, paints, fibers, and a million other things are made out of petroleum and here we are pouring 20 gallons if it at a time in our tanks and burning it. What happens when it's gone? How will we make Aspirin and seat cushions and sandwich bags and the rest of the stuff we have gotten used to?

So the electric cars are a step forward -- not backwards and the number of Fossil cars needs to be seriously reduced, and there is no reason to puke.
OldRoad
Instructor

You who think you can change the climate base your estimations on computer models based on hundred year increments of phony data. Your data is toxic as in one hundred years from now neither one of us will be here to say "I told you so". Climate has been changing on planet Earth for multi billions of years and for the last few decades politicians have been creating fiction fear with climate not to save earth but to make money on fear. Earth has been a carbon producer for billions of years under ground and under water. Volcanic activity both under the ocean and under ground produce more toxic gas including CO2 in 3 days than every jet airliner, HC fueled car, tractor or locomotive ever produced by industry. That is why I will never buy climate change phony B/S.
Vcdoorco4
Intermediate Driver

I’ll not an EV fan. But automakers don’t care...even GM is all in on killing my beloved carbon footprint. So, if the future is guide-less slot cars, why not get a platform that looks good?
Take the electric future, add a touch of classic sports car design, and keep our ICE for entertainment. The horse hobby has survived well past the original arguments against the automobile.