cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

New EV skateboard to power future classics | Hagerty Media

An innovative lightweight modular electric vehicle platform developed by a British startup is aimed squarely at niche manufacturers who want to go green. The Watt Electric Vehicle Company 's PACES (Passenger And Commercial Vehicle EV Skateboard) has been designed to be adaptable to a wide range of machines, from six-wheeled trucks and buses to sports cars.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/new-ev-skateboard-to-power-future-classics/
159 REPLIES 159
FNrt
Pit Crew

With you 100%, Dave.
DaveA
Detailer

I bet people had a similar reaction when Ford announced the end of the Model T.
FNrt
Pit Crew

Totally different.  Let’s learn from our mistakes from the past (intelligent approach) instead of plundering head first into foreign reliance and land fill nightmares (dumb approach).  You don’t flood the market with something that may be unfixable, similar to “just pass it so we can see what’s in it”. N. Pelosi tactics.

tdskip
Intermediate Driver

References to N Pelosi here = can't actually make a coherent facts/evidence based point.

Maybe go cry else where - we're trying to talk about the future of cars here.

Just saying...

Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

Thanks to the likes of Pelosi, the only future for cars is EV. The only future for driving freedom is none.
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

Except the Feds didn’t pass a law that said you can no longer purchase a Model T. Instead, the market forced Ford’s hand to improve to a Model A, not a law that declared Model T’s illegal to purchase. Everyone keeps missing this point - it’s not market demand that is moving all manufacturers to EV production, it’s that govt’s are declaring gas and diesel cars illegal to sell.

tdskip
Intermediate Driver

Immediately to politics - kind of pathetic really especially when it is based on something other than actual reality.

bblhed
Advanced Driver

Just wondering if you actually read the article? These underpinnings are for new cars that look like old cars, not for resto-mods.
MotorManMark
Intermediate Driver

Sorry Dave, but that's just not acceptable. If I want to rest-o-mod my 63 Pontiac or electrify my 97 Porsche I will without ANY worry what any purist thinks of me. OUR car are just that, car ... NO they don't have souls but maybe an extension of our egos!!!!
When anyone sees a converted car parked they won't give a damn what's been done to it, they only see the beauty of the visual design.
Chances are whoever gets "our" collection when we're dead and gone will only sell it for profit, caus we aint bringing anything with us except maybe our EGOS.
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

Great story Hagerty! Keep up the EV reporting! The morons who think EV's are a conspiracy of some kind can be ignored. Real enthusiasts like everything automotive.
spark123
Detailer

There are no "green" cars at the moment. If you want green ride a bicycle.
win59
Detailer

"most" bicycles are made in China as well. And the hot sellers have batteries and electric motors too now.....

Makes it hard to define "green" anymore!
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

Which takes fossil fuels to produce the steel, rubber, plastics, and aluminum to build.
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

Conspiracy? Isn't that when forces conspire to make something they want, happen? Like passing laws making it illegal to buy new ICE vehicles, forcing consumers to purchase EVs? You’re right, it does sounds like an EV conspiracy.
OldRoad
Instructor

What is truly laughable are the morons that believe EV power is actually clean.
Islander
Intermediate Driver

'No word on cost yet' That tells me it is more than I care to pay.
All this EV stuff omits what to expect for battery life which is most likely an expensive component.
'Not only the juice to charge it but the cost of unit itself factors in to the equation.
FNrt
Pit Crew

I also think you’re going to see a lot of stranded ev’s in between charging stations with cars like plug ins that have no reserve. Hey tow trucks with I.c.e. Power, start gearing up your fleet.
Islander
Intermediate Driver

Just haul around a gas powered generator.

OldCarMan
Instructor

Locally, DTE charges over double, compared to overnight, to charge an electric car on a Level 2 system. As infrastructure becomes more critical, watch what local, state, Federal and the energy monopolies start charging! No pun intended. Gotta SUBSIDIZE "green"
SL65
Intermediate Driver

But batteries are exactly the kind of thing that suddenly changes. Remember the boat anchor TVs, and hiw one day we woke up and there were flat screen TVs? How about Cassetes? Or phones?

One promising technology right now is a thing called a supercapacitor. Instead of storing electrical energy as chemical energy that can be converted, it stores it as electrons on a rolled-up mat of graphene? Which is graphite with a 2 dimensional array similar to chicken wire. So you wouldn't have a battery but a bucket of electrons. The short and the long of it is that it can be recharged almost instantly.

So there are going to be improvements and the best way to help them in is to throw some money at them.
ScottC
Intermediate Driver

And how many years were in between those things and what did they do to the environment when they went the way of the Dodo?
Joelb
New Driver

I’m all for technical innovation. I’m all for green technology. Having said that, I’ll continue to drive my gas burning classics until gas goes away or becomes economically untenable. At that point, if the only option is to modify my car to electric in order to keep driving it, so be it. It’s a driver, not a museum piece.
spark123
Detailer

By then battery powered cars will have come and gone and there will be something better powering cars like nuclear fusion or some such thing.
TinaBird
Intermediate Driver

I’ll pass. I’m not against EVs in general, but I dislike the idea of dressing up an EV skateboard to look like a classic. For context, I also rather dislike all the classic car builds that go and throw an Art Morrison chassis under everything (usually along with an LS-based drivetrain just to make sure it fits in with the crowd).
To each their own, but my idea of a classic is one that sounds, drives and handles like a classic. If you want an EV or modern handling car, then just get a modern car and be done with it instead of molesting an innocent classic with this EV skateboard.
spark123
Detailer

This is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a while!!!

Battery powered cars are by no way remotely green unless that is the color they are painted.
DaveA
Detailer
OldCarMan
Instructor

Self anointed, eco-nazis, with money in the game are NOT experts.
Islander
Intermediate Driver

OK, I skimmed through this report, it makes assumptions and admits the data is imperfect, and the spreads are rather wide.

It's a tilted argument but makes a point about reduced emissions overall.  The cost issue is still vague and it expects that to improve with time.

It completely misses the fact that ICE engineering and technology will also improve.  I smell politics.

Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

How do you know they are experts? Who paid for the research? Who financially benefits from the research results? Sorry, but as soon as “science” started to politics, it lost all credibility.
DMDeLuka
Pit Crew

NO! It wouldn’t be a classic.
tcchuck2005
Pit Crew

Even if I don't care for it, I am glad that there is some sort of means to preserve the hobby in the future.
FNrt
Pit Crew

Have you checked the weather forecast in hell? When they’re getting two feet of snow is when I’ll remotely consider bastardizing my classic car with electric underpinnings.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

The only thing missing? The sound! A few years back I created a system that would give V-8 sounds to otherwise mundane vehicles. Others beat me to the starting gate but if there ever was a need for it this project would be it. I still use mine in my Ford van. A couple of 12" waterproof speakers and a sub woofer under the vehicle and plenty of watts behind it and...viola! Instant hot rod sound. Works on golf carts too.
Brit_Carsick
New Driver

Hmm. I'm a car guy, first and foremost. While I love the raspy sound of my MGA, let's face it. She's slow by modern standards. A motor is a motor. If I had the money to burn, I would probably do something nutty like this. Imagine the grin-factor and 0-60 times with an EV platform under a 1960's British body! (Assuming it doesn't fall-off the skateboard in the first place) LOL

OldCarMan
Instructor

So exactly WHY is going faster than an MGA in a golf cart even important? Where are you going that the difference, makes a difference?
GRP_Photo
Instructor

I love it.
noah300g
Intermediate Driver

More toys for the rich. Don't expect the hobbyist to be able to afford this anymore than we can afford Art Morrison chassis with Hellcrate drivetrains.
BillB
New Driver

Just for a moment, to focus on the vehicles, If I leave the normal politics aside and, just for focus of the conversation, leave out the discussion on how to produce the massive electrical needs we are projecting with this growth. there are a few challenges that I still see for this to gain ground.
Specifically, we have seen this, by the time you drill in a bit, the cost ends up being greater than a custom restore or resto-mod of the same vehicle and only a very special kind of service provider would be able to support it. The industry needs to make much of this serviceable via plug and play battery packs, parts, etc. (trade in old for credit). We need to be able to practically rework / recycle / reuse the batteries (rare metals scarcity, pollution, land fills, etc.). After that, we still need to address the items I left out at the start. I would not want to do this to a rare classic vehicle - however, there are instances where I would love to try it out. Specifically, I have a VW van (no drive train) would love to try it in that. However, have you seen the price tag!!!!!! WOW$$$$
topside
Detailer

Clever, but I prefer my vehicles to retain their souls.
Swamibob
Instructor

Yawn... Snoring noises... Huh? Oh, I see, skateboard. Interesting... Snoring noises again... Oh, it does what? Right. 🙂 Sure it does. With a weight of 2200 lbs, it must have... Snoring... Yawn, at least 50-75 miles of range... Yea, that's technology for ya. What, 200+ miles of range. 🙂 Right, that's realistic. Snore... Good thing there's no rules regarding truth in advertising. 🙂 How long does it take to recharge? OK, and I'm sitting on the battery pack? Classic!
classicmetal
New Driver

These new innovations may be fine for warm dry climates , but with the road chemicals used today in your snow states and Canadian roads , I would be hard for me to believe that these electronics would survive . Mechanics that work on ( Canadian ) cars will agree that electronics and sensors that are exposed to these conditions have a shortened life span . This corrosion will eventually seep into every crack and seam . How's that work for warranty ?????
dcx
New Driver

Something common to ALL EV's... The battery has a shelf life, like those in your cell phone. It's NOT like a combustion engine, which can run almost forever with proper maintenance. Fifteen years or more out, the battery will no longer hold a charge and will have to be replaced. Are you ready for that?
Bostwick9
Intermediate Driver

My "newest" car just turned 16 in Jan. Purchased new. The idea that i would be looking at replacing a battery pack would be a non starter. To the junk yard if that were the case.
I will keep this car for another 10 years. Far more environmentally friendly and economically feasible for the ordinary slob.
Maybe that's the point: the ordinary slob will get to take the bus in future-topia.
Rick2
Detailer

I have a buddy that has an original Honda Insight. He replaced the battery last year and I think he said he spent $1700. Not bad for a what 15+ year old car that still gets 68 mpg.
OldRoad
Instructor

I've got a 50 year old car and can get a battery for $100 and install myself N/C.
OldRoad
Instructor

A Tesla Battery replacement is only $33K.
BWeston
Pit Crew

To me, part of the charm of owning a classic car or vintage sports car is keeping it largely original - so you get the experience of driving it the way it was originally engineered and built, which gives you insights into another place and time. If you want a glorified golf cart, then just buy one of the modern electric transportation appliances that manufacturers currently offer - don't screw-up a vintage machine doing this!!
hb
Intermediate Driver

NEVER for a classic. But I could own a small electric to run errands around town.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

I'm into it, slap my Model-A on one of these and cruise. I'm no greenie but it's coming and if you can rebody and old car that's not good in modern traffic (Model-A), and use it, why not. Yes I know you can drive a model-A in stock form, but it's not great and you're not getting up to speed/ stopping etc. very well.
TBirdRider
Pit Crew

To save the real classics, another company could provide bodies and interior kits. Can you say “kit car”? Just bring more money

E15037EE-0F92-4F75-BC2B-5F516D35D09C.jpeg