cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

New EV skateboard to power future classics | Hagerty Media

An innovative lightweight modular electric vehicle platform developed by a British startup is aimed squarely at niche manufacturers who want to go green. The Watt Electric Vehicle Company 's PACES (Passenger And Commercial Vehicle EV Skateboard) has been designed to be adaptable to a wide range of machines, from six-wheeled trucks and buses to sports cars.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/new-ev-skateboard-to-power-future-classics/
159 REPLIES 159
Pit Crew

I want too puke🤮
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

Reading comments like yours makes ME want to puke.
Pit Crew

Your welcome to your opinion.  By your responses to mine and other comments you have obviously stuck your head in the carbon consumption is raising the temperature of the plant hypothesis punch bowl.  That’s ok but your responses shows a definite disregard to other peoples opinions or desires which is not ok it’s snobbish, boorish and dangerous.   You immediately assumed that I am anti EV. I AM NOT!  It has its place it will grow in market share.  However it doesn’t belong under the body of a real 356. That’s why I wanted to puke!  Now I respect your opinion you should respect others.  Time will tell what was the correct path.  I would suggest if everything is as dire as presented, EV will not be enough and severe autocratic/draconian actions will have to be taken. I think if the hypothesis is correct counting on EV to save us is liken to pissing on a forest fire.  Carbon reduction through EV is not even close to hitting the goal and like it or not there are a lot of unanswered questions on EV impact on the environment, that seem to be getting glossed over in our head long rush down the rabbit hole.  But nobody really knows who is right.  Further discourse and research should be taken.  Who knows future generations might look back at this period of time and say “what where they thinking?”  Much like we look at those who thought the world was flat and the sun revolved around the earth.  Just hope you will have enough tolerance for those that think a little different ,they won’t be burned at the stake. They may have the answer you seek.

Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

please feel free to puke...just make sure you clean up after yourself
Mike_E_V
Detailer

Common guys. EV's are here to stay. If anyone can make an EV fun and exciting (many already are just that) it's the hot rod group and aftermarket people. Just think about an EV with a six speed manual! Killer. Talk about sneaking up on your prey. Silent AND deadly.
llawrence9
Intermediate Driver

You don't need or have a transmission in an EV. Part of the simplicity.
RJMatt
Intermediate Driver

But some conversions DO keep the transmission! I would want at least a two speed, so it's quick off the line and has a good top speed.
Punk
Detailer

Correct. Check out the program Vintage Voltage. An English show where they convert vintage cars with thrashed drive trains to electric. They usually leave the transmission for convenience, using two gears plus reverse. Have to get past the fact that these great vintage cars become electrics, though. Not for me. Not ever.
Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

true...all you need is a rheostat...
Dbc1dc
Pit Crew

True, but it would be a paliative thing to have, and may draw my interest into EV's more. Talking true manual that you row, not little flippers on the steering wheel.
OldRoad
Instructor

Each purchase comes with a complementary wind turbine for your backyard.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

If you have any old car mags from the 50's kicking around, look in the back pages where Honest Charlie advertised and see the giant wind up key they used to sell for VW's and other mini cars of the day. I'm not mocking the EV platform as I believe we in the aftermarket segment will make this type of conversion more fun than the manufacturer intended but the fake key would add just the right amount of sarcasm to the build. A 66 Chevelle might need two keys.
bhankinsonn
Intermediate Driver

Innovation, forward thinking, a peak into the future for collectors in 2075. I'll be watching for the "Coupe" and a test drive.
dtniners
Pit Crew

The way this world is going, we won't be around here in 2075. Someone or group is going to destroy this planet all on their own and no one is going stop them. It is sad, but the truth.
Cashmoney
New Driver

As long as it can use wire wheels so one can clothespin playing cards to the spokes LOL
JAG
Intermediate Driver

Electric cars are like the body function SBD!. You don't hear them coming till it's to late. If this is the future then all the aftermarket guys better close up shop. Sell all you stock positions in anything related to performance powertrains. I have said it many times on this forum we are living in the last days of the fun car.
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

Spoken like someone who has never driven an electric car. We own one, and it's both fast and fun,
spark123
Detailer

So is a top fuel dragster, but I would never put the power train in a car I intend to drive.
DaveA
Detailer

That’s because a top fuel dragster power train is not practical. An electric power train is.
dtniners
Pit Crew

Tell that to the person that has to drive from Spokane Washington to Duluth Minnesota.
SL65
Intermediate Driver

Can I get back to you in about 20 years? By then the range will probably be much higher as thibgs like suoer-capacitors using graghene membranes and whatever else they have in the pipeline mature.
FNrt
Pit Crew

I rode an electric motorcycle. Fast, no doubt, horrible brakes, and many people pulled out in front of me since they couldn’t hear or apparently see me. Oh, I got it. Equip all ev’s with huge panels of flashing lights so you look like a tow truck coming down the road. Two major hurdles with ev’s. We’re creating a huge waste stream for landfills, and China will be providing all the precious metals necessary for large scale battery production. Right back to square one as far as foreign energy reliance. You know the green new deal will squash all mining of metals or anything. #3. When an accident occurs with an ev, what about the electrocution and or chemical hazards to first responders?
StingrayDG
Pit Crew

Certainly things to figure out, but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water 😉
MotorManMark
Intermediate Driver

Well if it's China you're worried about, then start a campaign to HALT the shipping of our Scrap metals to China so we're not buying back our minerals!!!!
dtniners
Pit Crew

Let's take a trip from LA to New York in 4 days! Oh yeah, you might make it there in a week and a half if you are lucky in an EV. That is unless you have deep pockets. I can do this with a $15,000 Kia Soul.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

Many of the traditional powertrain companies are already working with others to bring EV components to market.
denali94
Intermediate Driver

I love cars. I grew up twisting wrenches on a D-Production Healey running the midwest SCCA tracks before I could drive and then fell into campaigning a '65 Dodge Coronet on every 1/4 mile track near Chicago. We still have my '64 GTO that I acquired in '69 and my wife's '75 TR6 she bought new. Aside from some paint work, no one has touched these cars besides me. I was such a car-guy, I made Tim the Tool Man look like a babe in arms. Then, my nieces husband bought a Tesla. Of course I scoffed and talked about "real" cars until he tossed me the keys - well, the fob thing. The grin-factor went off the scale. Without a doubt that was the fastest 'out-of-the-box' factory car I had ever driven and the suspension? It handled better with every corner - some kind of adaptive whatever. And the darned thing was comfortable.

Now will I dump my GTO for a Tesla, no. But, I will let it enter my shop and and park next to it. Maybe this old goat can learn some new tricks.
SL65
Intermediate Driver

I'm not so sure. I have a fairly extreme motorbike. It does 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds. It feels properly fast.

There's an electric bike that can do 0 to 60 in 1.1 seconds. Let me repeat that. There's an electric bike that can do 0 to 60 in 1.1 seconds.
Dbc1dc
Pit Crew

They used to say that in the late 70's into the 80's. Yet here we are with 800hp Dodges, from the factory. Gasoline will be around for a long while.
gpsuya
Intermediate Driver

A classic body deserves a classic engine. Making it an EV would give me the same thrill as turning on my bench grinder.
slammin
Pit Crew

"A classic body deserves a classic engine." Tell that to the guys that insist on jamming an LS into everything with 4 wheels!
dtniners
Pit Crew

Not the same thing!
MATTMERICA
Instructor

What an awful idea! Maybe if you bought a Tesla D in 2015 and you lived in the rust belt and from taking it out in the snow the underbody corroded badly, AND it is the year 2050 and you are now "restoring" the vehicle, maybe possibly then.
Oh wait - I forgot! The EVs are like toasters - when they are done you just throw them out
OldCarMan
Instructor

ALL toasters in the US are made in CHINA. As are many other appliances. When the Yuan replaces the dollar as the world currency and China controls all of the rare minerals for batteries, we are totally screwed! But we ARE "green"!
tdskip
Intermediate Driver

Predictably short sighted responses - we should all be thrilled that people are innovating ways to keep creative builds going. Will they be different builds - yes. Still motoring - yes.

Times change - deal with it.

spark123
Detailer

I agree change is good, but Change for the sake of change is not good.

Battery powered cars are not green. If you do the math and and figure out where the energy comes from and how much gets waisted in the process of getting it to propel you down the road. It has the same total environmental impact as a ICE vehicle.
DaveA
Detailer

That may have been true at one point, but I’m pretty sure recent studies have proven that is no longer correct.
TA76
Intermediate Driver

no they have not.
avideo
Intermediate Driver

So please name one or more of those so-called "studies" and who made them and who do they work for.
We all constantly get answers like yours from the environmentalists and those people pushing "green" energy but few actual facts.
SL65
Intermediate Driver

Just use your common sense. One of those big wind turbines puts out 4000 to 12000 horsepower.

And it will do so for hundreds of years.
OldRoad
Instructor

How many Birds of Prey get slaughtered by each one of those gargantuan eye sores are you comfortable with? I don't hear a peep of protest by the Sierra Club or any others of the green weepers of the hysteria society of America. If these wind turbines were powered by HC the hysterics would be at a daily rate of nauseam by these insufferable hypocrites and you know it!
Bigspanner
Intermediate Driver

The expected lifespan of an industrial scale wind turbine is 20-25 years, max. It takes more carbon to build a large wind turbine than they save over their lifetime. In southern Ontario, near Detroit, a recent study showed over 250,000 birds killed annually by the wind turbine farms located there. But if one seagull gets covered in oil, it’s headline news. Typical liberal mainstream media. The only truth is what they want you to believe.
Sledogpilot
Intermediate Driver

When the wind stops that power has to be able to be backed up 100% by carbon fuels or nuclear. There is no giant storage battery for the power grid. And no, they don’t even last decades before they need overhaul or replacement. I’m not saying there’s no place for wind and solar, it’s just not able to replace coal, gas or nuclear in it’s present form.
Swamibob
Instructor

Yep, sure will, right up until it needs maintenance. Then you're down again. 🙂
tdskip
Intermediate Driver

Nope - simply not true. No point in trying to even discuss when you are clinging to fiction.

mfp4073
Intermediate Driver

Not true.
SL65
Intermediate Driver

If you just burn fossil fuels in a powerplant, the thermal efficiency is well above 90%. In a car it's about 30%.

But the really efficient way to generate electricity is with alternative energy -- Nuclear, first and foremost, but also wind and solar and tidal and geothermal and etc.
Dave404
Detailer

People really need to stop modifying (destroying) all the classic cars. Soon no one will know what an original old car is. The sights and sounds of authentic old cars just enhances peoples lives and the vehicle numbers are so small that their tailpipe emissions are meaningless. Tell these battery fanatics NO and let their silly investments bankrupt them. Better than that, don't vote Liberal. If you want electric, buy a new one for your daily driver.
TinaBird
Intermediate Driver

Exactly!