cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Never Stop Driving #2: 240 mph is insane, especially for robots

I find it incredible that human beings, who can self-propel to less than 30 mph, have brains that can absorb data at 200 mph and still process the information in time to pilot a car. Stand in awe of yourself, my friends. It's also something that machines cannot yet do.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/never-stop-driving/never-stop-driving-2-240-mph-is-insane-especially-f...
80 REPLIES 80
PaulyGMorgan
New Driver

Concerns about not enough electrical production and inferstructure to support EVs will go away. As more are produced, more inferstructure will be created. It will certainly not be built before there is a need. The first gas powered car was built in 1886. The first gas station? Around 1905.

And , sure, transportation will change over time. We have gas powered cars now, but we didn't 150 years ago. Change is inevitable, but it will only be bad for those who cannot accept change. You can be sure I hope there are always gas powered cars and gas to power them. But they may not be practical for the transportation needs of a rapidly expanding population.
TeutonicScot
Detailer

I have to laugh whenever I see opinions like these regarding infrastructure and EV's. My first question is always, have you ever lived outside of a developed nation, which by the way is still most of the world? I've lived in countries where the government can't even provide electricity to most people's homes and businesses, let alone provide the infrastructure to power all the people moving mobility that is supposed to replace the ICE.

The state of California (and there will be others) can't even keep up with the residential demands of its citizens without rolling brown and black outs. I'm sure that adding all the demand from EV's and "green energy" infrastructure will take care of that problem though. (sarcasm intended.)
As I commute to work each day and every time I'm out driving my old fun cars, as I look around, (most of the time to keep from becoming some fools accident victim) at all the idiots who cant be bothered to put down a cell phone or a screen of some sort to actually participate in the functionality of their conveyance, I think "you know, most of these idiots should be shuttled around in an autonomous vehicle, because they certainly can't safely operate a vehicle in which they have to be responsible for its movement."

Unfortunately, those of us who love these old vehicles as they are will be collateral damage when the **** hits the fan. (There Hagerty, I bleeped it for you)

I think this has been planned into the obsolescence of the automobile as we know it for some time and can show data that having all the "nanny gadgetry" built into cars that is supposed to make them safer, actually makes for drivers that are less safe, depending on these things to protect them, which also makes the argument easier for the decision makers (politicians), to ultimately remove people from making the mistakes while they drive.
But it will not happen worldwide anytime soon, of that you can be certain.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

More disinformation. Every time I see comments like yours, I have to laugh.

You’re clueless, but keep on keepin’ on.

Maybe EVs will go away if close your eyes and go “lalalalalalala….”

Oh, and I drive a 400-hp M5, plus a 300-hp 911. But I don’t have my head in the sand. EVs are here to stay, whether you think so or not, sorry.
M3pilot21
New Driver

Larry, I share your view point of the Indy Car blazing around at 234.5 miles per hour. Simply awesome, and scary at the same time. Amazing! BTW....Monaco & Indy this weekend! Sheer Joy!

On another topic, my wife and I were discussing the ability to call up a ride service, jump in arrive at our destination without driving last week. I hope autonomous ride share is successful. No doubt, I love driving. Yet, letting someone else or someone else's algorithm is icing on the cake.
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

I think all this stuff is additive. And agreed on this weekend! I hope Sainz can turn his season around....
stuartpr
New Driver

Hi Larry: Some years ago I produced the "Motorsports Explained" 6 part Series which aired on ESPN in the 80's and 90's including "Bobby Rahal Explains Indy Car Racing." Following the end of the series I was hired as the American producer for "New Kid On The Block" featuring Michael Andretti's foray into Formula One. During the shoot at Michael's home, he was asked about racing at "Indy" and he said (as close a memory permits) the following - "Time trials and qualifying were easy compared to the race itself. The flying dirt, dust and wind gusts could make it a terrifying experience."
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Cool job!

And thanks for posting this.
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Hey is there a link to those videos you can post? Sounds cool.
racebum
New Driver

Larry: Those Indy car drivers do not see the wall, they are looking ahead at the track and anything moving that is out of place; that's the secret, don't look at the wall and stationary objects! You looked at the wall (I would, too), and that is the difference between we mere mortals and Indy car pilots.
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Agreed. They're not like us.
weber914-6
New Driver

A JOURNALIST GOATS HEAD FILLED WITH FLOWERS FRUIT AND CARS......WELL DONE LARRY.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

You do realize you are yelling, right?

Caps lock off, please.
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Thank you! I think. I don't get the saying there.
RickL
Advanced Driver

I have been around drag racing practically the majority of my life. I remember the first time I saw a Top Fueler at the BIG end going 300 mph, even though that is a 1/4 mile in a "straight" line the way it moved around was unbelievable and the minute corrections made. Speed is not only amazing, but very addicting. Hail to those that have the skill and nerve to race...anything!!!!
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Hear, hear! Well said.
Smilodon
Instructor

Larry Webster. Hmm. Seen this byline for years. Did I enjoy the content? Yes, yes I did. Looking forward to enjoying you, along with Sam Smith et al in the Hagerty community. Oh, sir- I am Indianapolis, born&bred, first "500" @ 4, in 1963. Unbroken streak until the service sent me to the Middle East in 1980. My daddy&his older brother Unk Bruce raced dirt&midgets (street raced, too, but they're both long passed the arm of johnny law), met Steve Kinser as a fourth grader. Marched in the 500 Festival and opening, 'round the track parades with Harvey Gill's Boy Scout Band, '70-'77, with many special track/pit privileges from wearing the uniform; gotta tell ya, marching with a snare drum or cymbals, in the late May humidity, in that bowl of asphalt is only for the young, 9° of banking is nothing at 180+, but very harsh on a band formation of kids- we didn't see any outside wall, we saw endless track, hot and sweaty. Seen glory (AJ Foyt in '77), crazy, like Danny Sullivan's back stretch 180° loop, tragedy- Art Pollard, Swede Savage- and even with the spec car rules now, never lost my love for Indy. Maybe one day I'll write in about when Teo Fabi let some Scouts sit in his black 930 Porsche, and politely/calmly answered a thousand eager questions from juvenile starstruck fans a couple hours before his successful qualifying run. A true gentleman racer, Mr. Fabi.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Yes, but do you have a point, or perhaps a question?
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Great memories! Thanks for sharing.
SJ100
Intermediate Driver

Can we get any news on Hagerty events North of the Border. Been waiting and waiting and waiting.
4RenT
Advanced Driver

Do you mean North of the Open, or Closed Border?

B^)

TG
Technician

I never understood in a world of 7.5 billion and growing why we would be developing an autonomous anything
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Uh, sorry?

You want servants to do the work?
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

I have no problem whatsoever paying a per-mile fee for driving my Tesla.

But it better be the same as ICE vehicles pay!

(We have three ICE vehicles).

Drop the Federal Gas Tax, and charge every passenger car the same amount per mile.
Zlinski
New Driver

240 mph in 2022 on a banked oval with highly refined ground effects... Or 240 mph over half a century ago at night on the Mulsanne straight in a 917... Now that's impressive!
4RenT
Advanced Driver

I'm sure it has something to do with real estate prices, but when I was (much) younger, I expected Indianapolis to increase the size (length, banking, width) of the track to compensate for faster cars!

Clashure22
New Driver

Great stuff Larry, variety and hook ups to related stories. Whatever comes to mind from a fellow motorhead makes for a solid weekly read. Thanks
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

That's the idea. Thanks for the comment.
4RenT
Advanced Driver

Larry,
I've liked the two articles you have sent so far...
And limiting them to 1 per week is what I want to see.
I'm just "afraid" to give some sites my email address,
because soon thereafter, I get 2 or more emails per day from them.

This election year has made it all the worse!

Jkatzen6o
Pit Crew

I have driven across the desert on two lane blacktop, on bias tires at well over 120 in the Seventy. I drove Las Vegas Motor Speedway at 150 MPH average. I drove Daytona the same week after the 24 his when it was paved after 50 years and flew a T-6 Texan at over 200 MPH, all in the same week. Recently I flew a P-40 Warhawk at over 300 MPH. That was mind boggling doing loops and rolls and a Cuban 8. It is incredible that the human mind can encompass and conquer and control such data compacted experiences. Automated machines in any form have not yet arisen to compare with Human resilience. I am a board member of the Las Vegas Electric Vehicle Association and we have many Tesla owners as members. One in particular has admitted that not only has his vehicle encroached on another vehicle when self parking, but he had an unwanted lane change that his car made that he could not countermand and luckily when it was done he didn't hit anything and was able to take control soon after. We will be ready someday to be able to trust autonomous vehicles, probably soon, but for now, beware and ready to assume control yourself!
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Yeah, well put. And I agree on us humans. Incredible!
jaysalserVW
Advanced Driver

Given the negative feedback regarding EVs...I keep wondering what Hagerty is up to. Why does Hagerty continue to push EVs? Does Hagerty have a stake in the EV Industry? There are very few EVs which have attained antique status--again, I have to wonder why Hagerty writes page after page after page in the Hagerty Drivers Club Magazine and the electronic Newsletters. This tack is confusing to many of us collector vehicle hobbyists.