cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

My XR250R wrenching philosophy: I'll cross that Bridge(port) when I get there | Hagerty Media

The process of building my Honda XR250R into racing shape has been more of a task than I anticipated. Despite budgeting fifty percent more time than I hoped to need, fifty percent more money than I thought I'd spend, and a thousand percent more frustration than I expected, this project is still stumbling when it should be striding towards the finish line-or, in this case, the starting line.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/my-xr250r-wrenching-philosophy-ill-cross-that-bri...
8 REPLIES 8
mike657894
New Driver

kyle you need to ask some more questions. say on forums. the cap on that plug will spin off revealing the threaded screw. and xr racing? its a heavy bike for dirt. and the way the engine puts power down is slow. its a great trail bike play with the kids putt around all day. but to race one...you will just be following and getting passed. the end of the world in revs on that engine is about 5500 modern four stroke mx bikes are spinning up to or exceeding 10,000rpm.
mike657894
New Driver

not hating on the xr/xl line but i wouldn't take one to a race. I own a xl600r. there is a guy who hare scrambles a xr650l and does pretty well. but thats against bikes with 350 less cc's. and that guy would probalby do much better on a 450 or ktm
Kyle

You are correct, a modern 450 easily makes triple the power at 80% of the weight. However, I am not a good enough rider to use a 450 to its capability. In fact, me on a modern 450 would not end in a podium, but a hospital bed. Also, I am going vintage racing--and six different forms of vintage racing at that. This is not the best tool for any of the jobs I am taking on, but it will certainly do each respectively. The XR250R is a neutral bike that I can tailor to each event fairly easily. If and when I get faster as a rider, there will certainly be a more modern machine in my garage.
FatBabyDriver
Intermediate Driver

What a nail biter! Are you sure the solid top on the new spark plug doesn't unscrew to reveal a threaded top? Back when I was selling them in a Yamaha dealer's parts department most of them did.
Tinkerah
Technician

Just piling on; I have more trouble getting those plug tops to stay snug!
Kyle

100% sure. It was an interesting conversation with the NGK representative on the phone. Switching out the spark plug boot is very simple, just a $2 part. You are correct that a lot of plugs have the threaded cap, but with the thread change I shifted from the powersports and small engine portion of the NGK catalog to the motorsports section. Solid top plugs are much more common in automotive engines than motorcycle/snowmobile/ATV engines.
Tinkerah
Technician

Couldn't you have replaced the motor (if not the whole bike) with a good used example quicker and cheaper?
Kyle

I'll admit I have a spare, but questionable, engine in the corner. The work to finalize the assembly on this engine is worth it for the fact that I know what is inside. There is a halfway point where I could have attempted to call up that spare engine but likely would have spent as much time getting it into running shape as I did fixing the problems I came across here. Figure I might as well get the fresh engine after the work rather than all the work and having something that may or may not make it.