cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

My long (and nearly forgotten) Vanagon chapter | Hagerty Media

My automotive life has been painted mainly with brushstrokes of 1970s-era BMWs used as enthusiast cars, and whatever low-priced, high-mileage, standard-transmission BMW crossed my path and found itself as a daily driver for a few years. There was also a succession of a half-dozen Suburbans used as vacation/beach-assault/tow vehicles.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/my-long-and-nearly-forgotten-vanagon-chapter/
5 REPLIES 5
audiocage
Detailer

EV Eliminator cabs. Wow; that brought back some memories.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

I powered them with a Phase Linear 400 :^)
ModelT
Advanced Driver

Thanks. Lots of VW and minivan memories.
Swamibob
Instructor

Really good read Rob. Very enjoyable. I dig the pic of you with your Westphalia, some nice facial hair there! 🙂 I grew up in an 8 kid family, so big V8 powered station wagons were the thing at our house. Never had any trouble hitting the passing lane with those. Did have a bit of trouble passing gas stations, but gas was a bit more reasonable then. 🙂
AG1962
Detailer

Diesel Vanagons rule! Until you hit the highway. We camped in ours in the Rockies for three summers till our kids got too big and I got sick of pouring money and time into the beast we called Voldemort for the Dark Mark of diesel soot he blew when I overdialed the pump once... My calculations showed that despite all the repairs, we spent less money on it than we would have done to stay in that enchanted area at even the cheapest motels. But the tailbacks we caused in the passes were embarrassing.