cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

My Esprit lived up to its reputation ... by breaking down

"You do know what LOTUS stands for don't you?" chuckled the old lady as she toddled past. It's certainly not the first time I'd heard this. But it was the first time that I'd been genuinely worried it may be true. I stood beside my stricken Lotus Esprit, waiting for a low-loader to arrive.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/my-lotus-esprit-lived-up-to-its-reputation-by-bre...
9 REPLIES 9
hyperv6
Racer

The Esprit's are converted for subs because they can put their owners underwater.

I always loved these cars but they take care and feeding almost like an large animal and I just don't have the funds for that. It is not just Lotus but even some of the bigger names that are just the same. Buying is easy but care is a problem.
CitationMan
Gearhead

I would love to see an Esprit in Elise Chrome Orange.
NAMiata
Intermediate Driver

I generally dislike white cars, but S1 Esprits really do look great in white, even ignoring the "Wet Nellie" effect.
GavinL
New Driver

I’m surprised no one’s suggested black and gold JPS livery.
adsinger
Intermediate Driver

Back in the day, even the Logtus distributors up in Millbrook, NY would describe an Elan on a flat back truck as one "assuming the Lotus position".
Swamibob
Technician

That's funny right there; I tell you what... 🙂
VMF218
Pit Crew

Stick with Red. It looks great. Very fitting. Keeps it closer to original. Color changes seldom go well. At least you know the bottom end will hold together!
nikberg
Pit Crew

Thanks for the comments everyone - I keep seeing red Esprits at classic car events here in the UK so I'm seriously considering a change of colour - white and orange definitely both on the shortlist. Black and Gold JPS would be great but I'd feel a bit of an imposter as it's not a turbo…
Swamibob
Technician

Hey Nik;

That sounds like the perfect time to paint it black and gold, then put a supercharger on it and let's find out how many pieces we can break the crankshaft into? 🙂 🙂 🙂