cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scubaron
Pit Crew

My 1957 Thunderbird

My first car was a used 1957 Thunderbird that was purchased in 1964 for $2300 dollars.  I was 17 years old at the time, and drove that car during my senior year in high school and throughout my four years of undergraduate school and beyond.  57 years later I still have the car!

When the 70’s hit my Tbird began showing its age, and I decided to try and restore it into a muscle car.  With a bad  Mustang 302 motor, an even worse used supercharger, and an unreliable 4 speed manual transmission, the Bird began spending more and more time collecting dust in various garage spaces that I rented. Over the ensuing years I had it painted, brought it to many mechanics and speed shops, had it painted again, and tried to bring it back to its former glory, but I just couldn’t get it reliably back to life. The thought of parting with it, however, never entered my head. 

Four years ago I came across a high end restoration shop on Long Island where I was assured that this time would be different.  The car would be completely restored and once again become my daily driver.  Recently completed, the Tbird now has a new chassis, a 5.0 liter Coyote engine with 437 horsepower, a six speed manual Tretonic transmission, Wilwood brakes, Foose wheels, an amazing paint job, and much more. The Bird has finally been reborn and I believe it is one of the nicest 1957 Thunderbirds known to exist today. 

At 74 years old, not too many people my age still have the first car they ever owned.  Now that it’s become such a head turner, my problem is that I’m almost afraid to drive it!

5 REPLIES 5
Sajeev
Community Manager

That's a fantastic story! It's amazing that you still have your first car, and that it's now a stunning machine after all the hard work put into it! Congratulations! 

scubaron
Pit Crew

Thanks, Sajeev. Appreciate your feedback!

DUB6
Technician

It is indeed a great story.  How many times have I (or someone else I'm around) said, "I wish I had that _________ that I had in High School"?  Well scubaron doesn't have to say that, 'cause he's got it!  Here's to many more miles spent together, first owner and first car - clink!  

🍷🍾

scubaron
Pit Crew

Thanks for your response DUB6. Been a looong journey.  Lots of stories and memories.

Sajeev
Community Manager

@scubaron any chance you have a photo or two you can share with us?  Would love to see it! 

And if needed this tutorial will show you how to add a photo: https://community.hagerty.com/t5/community-help-and-guidelines/community-help-how-to-attach-a-photo-...