cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Mustangs are for smiles—Shelbys especially

My first encounter with the Ford Mustang came in May 1964. My dad had heard that Monaco Ford in Glastonbury, Connecticut, had a new Mustang delivered late one Saturday night. You couldn’t see anything because the showroom windows were covered with brown paper, but when the car was finally shown for the first time, my father and I were there. Like everyone else getting their first glimpse of the Mustang that spring, I’d never seen anything like it.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/mustangs-are-for-smiles-shelbys-especially/

14 REPLIES 14
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Memories are what it's all about. Fun recounting with a serendipitous ending to boot!

topside
Intermediate Driver

There's been a Mustang of one type or another in my little fleet for decades, even though it would be fair to say I'm mostly a MoPar guy. There's just something about them that seems playful and easy to deal with if repairs are needed or modifications are desired. I'd dearly love an early GT350, but man, has that ship sailed !

Alfajazz
Passenger

Wayne, I've been a fan of yours since your show started many years ago.  I too have a 66 Mustang coupe,  originally Wimbledon white, but now Shelby blue!  I bought it on eBay 10 years ago as a project in my retirement- it turned into A very long term agrivation - the previous owner had taken a rusty Mustang and cut out all the rust mostly from thr rear and rebuilt almost the whole car replacing the 6 with a high performance 302 and c4 tranny with a Detroit locker rear end to make a Mustang hot rod( drag car ) but it was almost undrivabie as it sat.  I've been working on it to make it enjoyable to drive ever since!  I hope to have it driving before the end of the summer. 

Best wishes to you- Phil Valentine- Michigan 

Numberscruncher
Intermediate Driver

You're right. Mustangs have a way of doing that, whether it's my 64.5 Wimbledon White 260 Coupe, or my 2015 50th Anniv Appearance Pkg Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium. 

homer153091
Passenger

Wayne,might  I suggest keeping this one for yourself.Someday,it can be passed down to a grandson.Those memories will be worth more than the car itself

jbar1
Passenger

No pictures?

jbar1
Passenger

No pictures?

Cheetah8
New Driver

I was not a fan in 1965 when I was racing a 1957 Corvette in SCCA B Production.

shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

Like a Wayne Carini, Mustangs put a smile on my face.  I worked at a local gas station in my high school years with the sole purpose of earning enough to have a sizable down payment for an as yet undetermined new muscle car.  I loved Mustangs, Camaros, 442’s, GTO’s, most anything that looked good and went fast.  Finally, in August of 1969 I had the down payment cash, a co-signed loan approval and was able to arrive at a decision as to what I would get.  I went to my local Ford dealer and placed my order for an as yet unseen 1970 Boss 302 Mustang.  All the dealer had was a paper order form listing the options and a small card with little sample paint chips.  No photo of the 1970 Mustang itself.  I loved the 1969 Boss models, so I picked Grabber Orange from the color sample, checked off the options I wanted and my order went in.  I then waited, not very patiently until I got “the call” in early November.  My car was being unloaded and would be ready to pick up later that day.  My smile was ear to ear as I drove out of the dealer in my dream car, the first of many exciting performance cars I would have.  It still resides in my garage over 50 years later and regularly enjoys brief trips around town, letting the high-winding small-block breath deeply like that first day in 1969.

Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

I was offered a 1967 Coupe 289 but the price didn't interest me even though it was very low. About two months later it was offered to me at half the previous price so, under sufferance, I bought it. I have owned over 200 cars, 3 classic car dealerships, a classic car repair shop but not ONE of those cars, including the Porsches, Ferraris, Maserati's etc. gave me as much pleasure to drive as did that Mustang. Only one other car came near it and that was a 1969 BMW 2002 Roundie. Both great cars that i wish I still owned.s
KCJIMMY
New Driver

Good story.  Well written and well-documented.  Glad you finally got the car you wanted.  

Zephyr
Detailer

I was a senior in high school when the 1964 1/2 Mustang came out. It was an amazing looking car and a radical departure in design, and I loved it. After they changed the design in 1967 the Mustang became just another car, and has remained so ever since. They should have killed the brand off back in the 70's, after it had run it's course, and certainly before insulting us with the Mustang II. 

ed
Intermediate Driver

My first car was a '68 Mustang with 302, white with black vinyl top and red interior.  Lots of fun and memories in that car.

DHaggland
New Driver

Best sports car bang for the buck.