cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Mustache Muscle: 6 climbing classics of the '70s and '80s

From a performance car enthusiast's perspective, the mid-'70s and early-'80s didn't have much going on. High-compression big blocks were a thing of the past, and burning rubber right off the showroom floor proved increasingly challenging. That didn't keep American cars from looking the part, though.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/mustache-muscle-6-climbing-classics-of-the-70s-and-80s/
102 REPLIES 102
under_neath
Pit Crew

It was cars like these that chased me out of the American car. I started the 70’s with an ‘71 Olds Cutlass and the car and dealer experience were so bad I stopped buying American. The remainder of the 70’s were VWs and BMWs. Some new, but most used. The eighties were Hondas and I was hooked. Haven’t owned a GM/Ford/Chrysler product since. Would nostalgia for these “foreign cars” make me teach for my wallet. No. They were all reliable but appliance-like forgettable. The cars of the 70’s laid the foundation for what was to come.
okfoz
Advanced Driver

You could have added any Factory 350 powered third gen F-body.
GoFaster
Detailer

Very interesting article. I just have one correction. For the 83-84 Hurst Olds, the correct name of the shifter unit is Lightning Rods, not Lightning Rod. If you disagree, just zoom in on the photo and see the correct name printed on the shifter console plate. Incidentally, I still have the official parts book that was distributed in 1983 for these slow but rare models.