cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Mr. Mohs and his amazing motor cars | Hagerty Media

Mohs Motor Car, the brainchild of serial entrepreneur Bruce Baldwin Mohs, built just four cars, selling but two of them. Despite that limited output, Mohs made his mark on automotive history. Unfortunately for Mr. Mohs' legacy, almost all of the acclaim for his creations include words like "oddest," "weirdest," "strangest," "unusual," "ridiculous," and the perennially clichéd "worst."
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/mr-mohs-and-his-amazing-motor-cars/
22 REPLIES 22
PRScott
Detailer

I don't want to come off as sounding negative but those cars are butt ugly.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

"Tweeches," my friend.
Tweeches own.
TonyT
Instructor

Jump in the magic time machine and let's see what would come out of a joint partnership of Bruce Mohs, Earl Muntz, Preston Tucker and Rube Goldberg.
79Spitfire
New Driver

And lets not forget Buckminster Fuller..

drhino
Instructor

Mohs’ promotional literature touted the ability to enter the car “erect and with dignity.”

Hmmm
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

I can do both, but never at the same time.
MRHudgins
New Driver

Having met Bruce I can attest that the phrase “erect and with dignity” was chosen on purpose just for the entertainment for a lot of people. He was a character, plus he built and displayed a 30 foot long accurate model of the USS Wisconsin in his front yard!

A true Renaissance man!
drhino
Instructor

Reminds me of the car Homer Simpson designed. But, hey— he built more “cars” than I ever will.
ndounias
Pit Crew

In 1974 I was attending a trade school in Phoenix and had a part time job working as a detailer for a fellow. We mostly worked on cars dealers had taken in, but also had some specialty cars come in from other sources.
One of them was a Mohs Safaricar. I was amazed at the way the doors opened, the fact that the rear seat became a bed, and many of the other features of the car.
It wasn't until years later that I found how rare the car was! While it is certainly far from beautiful, it is an amazing creation, and I am happy to say that I put my hands on it back in my youth!
OldCarMan
Instructor

Funny, but I recall while in high school and not driving yet, of seeing the Ostienne at the SAE show at Cobo Hall, in Detroit in 1964 and getting a flyer on it. This was only the 2nd time I got a car flyer/brochure. The first was in 1962 at the SAE, for the CRV, designed by William Schmidt Associates for Marbon Chemical's new ABS plastic. The Moh's was an incredible joke to an aspiring car designer, going to Cass Tech!
RokemRonnie
Detailer

I don't think the Opera Sedan was yet made in 1964. I saw it in the late 1960s at Cobo, either at the Detroit Auto Show or the Detroit Autorama. That's when I got the flier that's one of the post's illustrations.

The Marbon CRV/Piranha/Bolide is a fascinating story.
red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

Is that a real car? it looks like it is made from Leggo's. ... Gary
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

Why is there a microphone sticking out of the left side of the dash on the OOS? And the "guaranteed to fade and just generally look shabby in a few years" pile upholstery really took me back, let alone the CB radio on the other car.
TG
Instructor

My 78 Caddy had a factory CB... Mohr was ahead of his time
TG
Instructor

'too much' was not in his vocabulary
For as ...interesting as they look they aren't bad for extremely low volume production cars. I imagine if I tried to assemble my own car from scratch in my garage it would wind up with some level of awkwardness too. The safarikar reminds me of the car in the movie 'the car'
MRHudgins
New Driver

Back around 1990, I had the pleasure of giving Bruce Mohs a biennial flight review as required by the FAA. He was a competent pilot and I was a flight instructor and Bruce was as kind and nice a guy as you could know. He was also the definition of “eccentric” in a very playful and very smart way.

One thing that The Amazing Mr. Mohs invented which has lived on and has been a valuable addition to driving safety was this invention: the creation, design and production of the yellow reflective material (tape) seen along and on roadways at construction sites, marking bridge abutments, lanes and so much more.

And by the way, the automobile museum in Roscoe, Illinois ( my home town) is a great place to spend a few hours. Not far from Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford and Chicago. Worth a visit.
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

I just love the little boat as a side car... I think he had at least ONE good idea~~
John4surf
New Driver

The seats in the Safarikar were designed and patented by Solar Engineering. The name of the seat was ‘Baja Bucket.’ The seats were used by Steve McQueen as Solar Engineering was solely owned by Steve.
OCULUSNY
Intermediate Driver

One, yes, just one thing, caught my attention on the OOS, in the LR quarter view: The Whip antenna. I guess I'm giving away my age but I always thought there was something powerful about a big whip antenna on the tail end of high-performance V-8 1950s State Police cruiser...right along with those rumbling dual exhausts.
MickHannickle
Intermediate Driver

Thank you, Hagerty. I can now say unequivocally which car is the ugliest ever made: The Mohs Safarikar.
MickHannickle
Intermediate Driver

The driver of the Safarikar in the video squandered a perfect opportunity when the train horn sounded as he crossed the tracks.
Caprice81
Intermediate Driver

The cars are as "pretty" as a Pontiac Aztech!