cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Mopar devotees, take heed: A numbers-matching '71 Hemi 'Cuda is up for grabs | Hagerty Media

A rare, numbers-matching 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda is currently up for grabs at Hemmings. The pavement-shaking 426 Hemi powerplant was on its way out in 1971, so while the debut year for the E-body 'Cuda saw 666 of the wicked big-blocks mounted under the hood, the following year's production only totaled 107.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/mopar-devotees-take-heed-a-numbers-matching-71-hemi-cuda-is-u...
3 REPLIES 3
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

It's a spectacular car.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think a fully restored car should be built to be as close as perfect to what the designers had in mind. Those "assembly marks" on a restoration are fake and always will be, just like faked overspray -- I see no point to it. And if the designers had access to modern radial tires, they would have put them on because they are consumable items and polyglass tires are crap. But then I would drive this car and could care less about car show trophies. It would not be sitting around in some museum.
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

I would definitely drive the heck out of it if I could. Love the color combo on this one.
Tinkerah
Technician

I'm in the minority with you. I don't think anyone restores a classic car to drive it, they do it as a simple investment. Otherwise you'd give it what it needed to enjoy it without stressing over every scratch. Cars restored to this degree (I'm a hard pass on the unsealed battery too) are intended as time machines to fetch top dollar and we are not its intended market. This car will never see another raucous night out just cruising full of the owner's buddies, but I also appreciate that it will serve as an accurate reference for years to come that I don't have to pay for or store.