cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Modern-ish transmissions from a Ford C6

Backwards compatibility is a well-known concept in tech circles, but you need not be a software engineer or Playstation 3 loyalist to appreciate it. The Ford C6 automatic transmission is a great example of this in the automotive world because it’s also the foundation of newer automatics in Ford trucks. And thanks to this shared foundation, Ford’s C6 is backwards compatible when it comes to refinements implemented in its successors ... Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/modern-ish-transmissions-from-a-ford-c6/

14 REPLIES 14
dbairdathagerty
Passenger

Sajeev, Love it. My daily is a '95 Mark VIII. I'll find a good III, IV or V to collect soon. - Douglas, Hagerty Golden. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Wow @dbairdathagerty my daily is also a 1995 Mark VIII! Pleasure to meet you!
spoom
Technician

Nice! Had a C6 in my 390 '68 Ford Wagon. Do the latest incarnation still use bands for one of the (I believe it was second)  forward gears?

Sajeev
Community Manager

I watched a YouTube video showing a C6 getting taken apart, and yes, it appears that band is needed to engage 2nd in any C6...possibly any trans based on the C6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9cMArvgJQ4&t=3s

JSievers
Intermediate Driver

The 1972 Mark V with the small chrome bumpers will always be the best looking version. However, unless your 2,200 rpm converter is a lockup unit fuel economy will suffer. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

99% sure it is a lock up.  Sure feels like it on the highway. 

hearsedriver
Intermediate Driver

i am a mopar man, but must admit the C6 tranny is a great, dependable tranny. the wife drove a 78 mercury marquis one time. i decided to change the tranny fluid due to discolouration. drop the pan and find a small mound of aluminum shrapnel. no sign of where it came from. oh well, eh? button it back up, new filter and fluid and drove it until she rusted out. tranny never gave a sign of issues.

Gary
Pit Crew

C6 was fords best trans made. Had one on my 68 wagon with the 428. Never had a lick of problems. Was used for a car pool, 10 adults ,140 miles a day in the heat of the Mojave desert. Only problem was tires until I went with light truck tires. 

Frank
Pit Crew

I have been driving my (purchased new) 1972 F-100 Ford for 48 years. Three engines, 700, 000 miles and the original C6. I can't complain... 

omac
Intermediate Driver

I also own a 1972 Mark IV I just had the C6 rebuilt as it was leaking and shifting badly. This is definitely something I'm going to do. My Lincoln is the Wimbledon White with black vinyl top and red interior. I added fuel injection for better drivability. Great car I enjoy driving her on long road trips.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing, I promise you that you will not regret it! 

chrlsful
Advanced Driver

gotta have 4 in any auto. Was thinkin AOD, as that same lill pea brain thinks of the C6 as really a truck transmis (I know, I know fairlane, torino, ltd). Will look into this as U have schooled me today~

Guitar74
Technician

This is definitely going to go in the wife's '79 T-bird when it is time. I have had multiple vehicles with the C6 and have always been rewarded with a bullet proof trans in every case. I don't know why, but after rebuilding my first c6, I seem to enjoy rebuilding automatic transmissions. The way they work is just automotive science and engineering at their best.

Sajeev
Community Manager

C6s, from what I see on YouTube, look kinda fun to rebuild. I couldn't do the upgrades as I don't trust myself with machine work, but still.