cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Model Citizen: For 40 years, Luca Tameo has realized F1 in miniature

The steering wheel of Ayrton Senna's 1988 World Championship-winning McLaren MP4/4 Formula 1 car was about 10 inches across. Now imagine that same steering wheel rendered as just one tiny, 0.2-inch part among 300 parts in a scale model kit of his McLaren that, when completed, is no more than four inches long.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automobilia/model-citizen-for-40-years-luca-tameo-has-realized-f1-in-m...
6 REPLIES 6

Lovely detail. I would have to assume it is expensive but worth it to the fans.
Maestro1
Technician

Extraordinary. And beautiful.
Zephyr
Technician

Before you rush out and buy a kit take a good look at Tameo's on-line tutorial about building their kits. Many of the parts are so small that it's more like building a watch than a model, and the bodies sometimes require you to do the final production work - drilling holes, filing things down to the proper dimension, etc. Building a metal model is a much different process than building plastic and wooden ones. It requires specialized tools and paint, and painting a metal model is like painting a real car - it has to be sanded, metal-prepped, primed, and carefully sanded again before painting. Beautiful models but a lot of work; more for the person who enjoys the process of building than the end product. I was tempted to buy a kit when I first became aware of them a few years ago, but what put me off is that the end result is so small that you need a magnifying glass to really look at it.

buellerdan
Instructor

Tameo, not to be confused with Tamiya.
I wonder if the 66 year old me could still build model cars as well as the 14 year old me.
Reinhold_Weege
Instructor

magnifico!

BiffNotZeem
Intermediate Driver

This is the best story ever to appear on Hagerty's site.