cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Mercedes-Benz goes all-in on electric, kills the stick shift

The 2021 EQS will be the first of six all-new Mercedes-Benz models based on its new electric architecture. The cars mark a clear line in the sand as the three-pointed star brand is also said to be axing all manual transmissions and many pure ICE cars as it streamlines its business and attempts to become carbon-neutral ... Read the full news on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/mercedes-benz-goes-all-in-on-electric/

3 REPLIES 3
Flashman
Technician

Proton-powered?  Semi-alliteritive, but is it accurate?  I thought electrons did the moving.

Germanicus
Detailer

Unlike BMW restricting manual transmissions to M cars, this is not a loss. Even in Europe today you can't get a manual in a Mercedes that you'd actually want to drive.

I am curious to see if the EQS can finally be the car to topple the Tesla Model S, which is nearly a decade old.

hyperv6
Racer

I have wondered if someone would make a Transmission and a manual for an EV model. 

I know the torque does not require it but if they would add a manual for entertainment value.

Also an overdrive to extend the range on a regular electric. Use less power and add miles with gearing.