cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Meet Jeep's six-figure, Hemi-powered Grand Wagoneer | Hagerty Media

Jeep just unveiled the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, ushering in the long overdue return of a well-loved American nameplate. When we first saw the Grand Wagoneer Concept last fall, we noted that it looked extremely production-ready, save for a few intricate details. A quick look at the production model shows that we thought correctly.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/meet-jeeps-six-figure-hemi-powered-grand-wagoneer/
22 REPLIES 22
Sunshine1868
Pit Crew

No chance of me buying a 6 figure, first generation luxury vehicle from a car company known for quality issues and bad transmissions. Hard pass for me - I'll spend the dough on a top-spec Escalade or Yukon XL Denali seeing as they've been making them for years and are truly the authority on full-size SUVs.

bradfa
Intermediate Driver

Aren't the 2021 Escalade and Yukon XL all new for the 2021 model year? Granted they've been selling the platform since the 2nd quarter of 2020 as 2021 models so there's about a year of manufacturing under their belts by now, but still a rather new product, too. But the GM 10 speed seems to have been decently reliable based on Internet reading.
Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

There may be bigger gaps in price, but I don't think there's a bigger gap in quality in any showroom than the one between this $100,000+ Grand Wagoneer, and a $22,000 Jeep Compass.
RonD
Intermediate Driver

Well we knew this was coming with some Jeep models going upscale. The price is a bit surprising and I don't think it will dampen the desire of those waiting for the upscale Wagoneer. Hopefully build quality on these models is above what normally suffices for a Jeep.
HHCO
Intermediate Driver

was disappointed it didnt look more like prototype with old grand wagoneer style,is nice looking vehicle.

Sledogpilot
Intermediate Driver

Yep. Soft spot for the old 360 powered wagoner. They could have had some styling cues from the old one especially the grill. Call Chip Foose

VA-Apraisr
Pit Crew

Blaa Blaa Blaaah.....6-figures for a Bloated Jeep? And I thought the full-size trucks were overpriced at $70k+. Nope.
ATLpaul
Pit Crew

Part of the reason people buy full size trucks, expensive as they are, is that the peer SUVs cost 10,000-20,000 more easy. A Chevy Tahoe LT can't be had out the door for less than $60,000 nowadays. An equivalent Silverado 1500 can be had for low to mid 40s.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Seems strange when many carmakers are going towards electric. And 6 figures!? Also on the electric topic, maybe US automakers should make smaller vehicles to optimize the range? Maybe Japan was way ahead with their KEI designs. But we Americans love our HUGE vehicles. For this Jeep... I dunno, doesn't raise my pulse much.
25aniv
Intermediate Driver

Trying to link the "no problem selling" between this and a GC Trackhawk is A LOT of a stretch. Same manufacturer, two completely different vehicles and buying demographic. Sure the new truck looks nice but its been many years since anything half way reliable came out of that entire camp. Everyone knows it. It'll suffer the same problem the GM and Lincoln models do...massive depreciation.
uweschmidt
Detailer

I think its Time for a reality Check here Those Vehicles are in reality not that expensive its just that one has to fork out a lot more depreciated Dollars to get one
Sledogpilot
Intermediate Driver

Yeah. Just wait. Double the money supply and halve it’s value
uweschmidt
Detailer

Yes all that is coming to a Country near You
Rider79
Instructor

...huh?
eighthtry
Intermediate Driver

I can't tell if those are the short or long ones. Does anyone have an idea?

Pretty impressive from 30 feet. I dated a couple of gals like that. Pictures look good inside and out.

The Queen and I have been driving Suburbans/Yukon XL since 1984. Nice rides. 200,000 approaching. Probably 2022 or 2023 I will buy another one. I will be reading the automotive press to see how this new GW is holding up.

Ford lost me me with an overworked V6. GM finally made a Corvette rear end big enough to fit the Suburban platform. That alone is enough to continue. GW could be a contender if it stays together.

The transmission might be a problem. I read all kinds of good thing about the 10-speed. Not so much the 8-speed.

I am happy for some serious competition. GM badly needs it. Ford needs it although it looks like they fournd their way a couple of years ago, absent the engine.

I wish I could understand how a company that invents a segment can stand by and idly watch their competition blow by them. It must be the firmly entrenched accounting culture left over from the 80's. They left a well trained staff.

Engines sell me. It's hard to beat the 6.2 GM. If Jeep can keep lifters from sticking, the hemi is a worthy competitor. At least GW has the cojones to put a performance hemi in the car. Ford V6? When a base engine can't carry the load, adding turbos doesn't cut it. Put my CTS V2 motor in a Yukon Denali? Sold.
silverado
Intermediate Driver

They just keep on getting uglier every year. That grill looks like an electric shaver and I'm sure they aren't getting any better in the quality end either. These new cars are nothing but a lot of plastic fantastic. I have no desire to have one.
MTee
New Driver

NEVER would I pay 6-figures for a Jeep. The fact that someone at the top said, “I think it’s fine we make a six-figure bloated Grand Cherokee!” makes me wonder if it was the same person responsible for quality control. Let’s be honest... half the value is in the McIntosh audio system.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

Lol. That is assuming it is a real mcintosh and not a private label that rented the name....
Rider79
Instructor

Good grief!$!$!$
CitationMan
Instructor

They were too embarrassed to put woodgrain on their rolling box, but not embarrassed enough to charge $100k for it.
brb
Advanced Driver

Oh look, a Durango.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

First off - who gives a rip about lincoln? They are awful, and to quantify that statement ponder this - the infinity QX80 has sold more units in the past three years than the navigator. Lincoln is 3rd in the segment, caddy in first, so the minute you throw lincoln into the conversation with these two over priced slush boxes, you lost me. Jeep better pray to god they can sell more units than lincoln or this will be a monumental bust lol Second - while I appreciate the article and the info on the new jeeps, it would help to put into perspective that other 100k luxury vehicles do also exist in this segment, and they actually sell more than the ones mentioned in this article. The biggest mb and bmw rides sell more units than caddy and infinity and lincoln do in the US, and when you add in global numbers, it is a bloodbath. No way these two whips compare to mb GLS or the X7, not from jeep. Now if they were priced at 60k and 85k, then you have something.