cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malibu Grand Prix: When pint-sized cars were a big-time attraction

Malibu Grand Prix.

For wannabe racers of a certain age—uh, that would include me—these three magical words granted entrance to a motorsports nirvana where we could indulge the fantasy that we were Mario Andretti reincarnate, one 55-second lap at a time.

At its peak in the 1980s, the Malibu Grand Prix empire encompassed close to 50 tiny racetracks across the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Hundreds of thousands of racers racked up millions of laps at a buck-or-so a pop as we chased after ever-better times posted on the electronic timers just beyond the finish line. Devotees with treasured Malibu Grand Prix licenses included not just dweebs and wankers—again, like me—but celebrities such as the teenage Leonardo DiCaprio, the adult Tupac Shakur, and the totally addicted Paul Newman.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/malibu-grand-prix-when-pint-sized-cars-were-a-big-time-att...

View Entire Topic

They really didnt seem much like race cars, none of the driving tricks worked, which I guess was the point.  Only did it once. 

Pit Crew