cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Making your own forged carbon-fiber pieces at home is actually possible

When it comes to things that are both wicked cool and wicked fast, carbon fiber is always at the top of the list. In recent years, forged carbon-fiber has come into vogue but was essentially limited to the highest echelon of performance builds.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/making-your-own-forged-carbon-fiber-pieces-at-hom...
5 REPLIES 5
ZZZPR
Intermediate Driver

The term "forged" carbon fiber is unfortunate because it is misleading. It has nothing whatsoever to do with forging, which is a process that only makes sense in connection to metals. I seem to recall that the term was coined a number of years ago by a golf equipment manufacturer, probably to put a pretty marketing face on what was really just a cheaper way of making carbon fiber parts. "Forged" carbon fiber is to traditional layup like oriented strand board is to plywood. You can make good, strong parts with less labor and using material that might otherwise be waste. The misleading term apparently infected the automotive industry when the golf equipment manufacturer collaborated with Lamborghini on using the process for car parts.

In reality, "forging" carbon fiber is really just compression molding, which is a process that has been used to make all kinds of polymer parts for many decades.

Tinkerah
Engineer

My takeaway from this: they're "G" clamps, not "C" clamps! So obvious but I've missed it for 50 years....Beyond that, making honest carbon fiber parts at home is amazing technology and I'm excited for the people who will go through but I won't be investing in a 3D printer, CAD software, a fractional gram scale, a small storehouse of (perishable?) chemicals and making the kitchen a superfund site.
DUB6
Racer

I think I'm with @Tinkerah on this.  It's a very interesting idea - albeit a very messy-looking process - and the resultant parts in the video are kinda cool.  But in "real life" it sort of seems to me that it would really add up to a very large investment for the one or two items I could really think of making with it.  I'll probably just go on down to the C&C shop for the next custom part I need fabricated.

SAG
Technician

finally, something to do with all the spools I have.
60% of my business was 'Competion' composite work.
Purchased mixed pallets [discount].
chopper gun spools, fab mat
WhatdaIknow
Pit Crew

I'm liking the whole thing!!!!!! It's a great way to get "obsolete " to mean cool parts are coming, just like forge being cool for PRESSED. I truly think that it's DIY and a "C" clamp can be a "G" clamp across the pond, it's all the same.

A VERY COOL AND USEFUL TOOL FOR THE PARTS YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!