cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

LT6 Breakdown: The Z06's 670-hp V-8 is a landmark achievement

America's traditional performance path starts with a smoking heap of piston displacement under the hood. With the arrival of the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette, a.k.a. C8-a mid-engine first, after 67 years of front-motor Vettes-a radically different strategy emerged.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/lt6-breakdown-the-z06s-670-hp-v-8-is-a-landmark-a...
139 REPLIES 139
hyperv6
Racer

Well I think the millions of aluminum engines running billions of miles since the Vega is sure evidence of that. 

hyperv6
Racer

Everything is aluminum today. They finally at all mfgs found the right way to seal engines up accept for Ford on the Turbo 4 in their little coupe. 

They used a wrong gasket. 

Oldroad1
Technician

GM is notorious for new production failures. Remember the Chevy Citation. That car didn't live very long after dealer shipping same with the Cadillac FWD models of that era.
CitationMan
Gearhead

The CitationMan remembers!

OHUQTU
Pit Crew

I can see an LT6 crate engine in the future. I will make a SWAG that the price will be ~$30,000. You will need a $2,000 ECU, with wiring and sensors to make it run, plus a doctorate in IT to make it work
hyperv6
Racer

Expect about $15,000 for the crate engine version. 

stevegentilella
New Driver

After reading all the specs on the engine (5000 psi fuel pressure, 7 oil pumps, three servo-operated “communicator” valves, etc., I had to laugh a little when Mr. Sherman stated "This is essentially supercharging without the complexity of a crank- or exhaust-driven blower".
hyperv6
Racer

The direct injection 4 cylinder you may be driving has a number of similar things. 

Direct injection is 4,000 pounds and up in most applications be it V8 or 3 cylinder. 

This engine actually is more simple than the 1990 ZR1 Lotus engine. 

miata93
Advanced Driver

That airbox with the valves appears to be some kind of ram-air manifold that is tunable "on the fly". I hope that this technology will find its way into the DIY and tuner aftermarket.
New Driver

About time GM made a modern engine!! The 2 piece block sounds like another Northstar disaster with oil leaks that's hard to stop.
hyperv6
Racer

Not quite GM today has the money to do these engines right. The LT OHV blocks are amazing for strength and this one is even stronger. 

Oldroad1
Technician

Yes GM has money to throw at things hopen things will hold together. They did the same thing with tax payer dollars to throw at the company. Jury is still out as to weather the company holds together.
hyperv6
Racer

Stop posting you dreams from reality here. 

GM stock has been at a Al, time high and sales and profits both have been good even in the trying times the last few years. 

in the mean time Chrysler was sold twice since the bail out. For has yet to pay the 5.9 billion loan back the the Energy department and still has loan leveraged on its plants. 

If they had not been majority owned by the Ford family they were have been taken over with stock riding often below $9. 

In this day and age all automakers are at risk and GM is not at the top of the list any longer for failure. 

We have not seen the last of the partnerships and mergers with a number of the other players. The cost of the aeV programs will take a toll on other soon. 

Ford already has had to make deals with VW. 

Oldroad1
Technician

Everyone knows Chrysler is the automotive industry's foster child, but I've never heard anything about Ford owning any part or piece of Chrysler. You sure about that? When has Ford made deals with VW? If so it must be under the radar news. Corse nothing would surprise me when it comes to industry deal making with Ford and GM being world wide manufacturers.
hyperv6
Racer

Ford does not own anything at Chrysler.

Ford is getting EV tech for delivery vehicles. They traded Ranger tech so VW can sell a truck under their name. 

This was  well reported stories. 

More deals are coming like Honda buying SUV tech and GM building them for them. GM will share some car tech from Honda in exchange.

Oldroad1
Technician

Ford has never been bailed out. When was this $ 5.9B lone? Their world wide holdings were their bail out in 2008. Ford survived the squeeze because of those holdings and also they were managed well before the plunge unlike GM's management disasters, federal recalls, golden parachutes and design failures. GM left bond holders holding an empty bag. They got swindled while GM robbed the bond coffers. Think the bond holders got paid back for their loses? GM got paid for theirs' courtesy the tax payers.
hyperv6
Racer

Right after GM and Chrysler were bailed out Ford cried they did not get any money. So the Obama admin made them a loan from the energy department. It is due to be paid back this year and still has not been paid. 

Ford did not fail as the banks were giving loans as they failed first. Those loans are still outstanding and are leveraged on their plants. 

Ford was no better off than anyone else.

You need to get your facts together as what you state is fantasy.

Oldroad1
Technician

Ford never made an issue of not receiving a bail out they wanted no part of the scam on tax payers. I'll research and be back on that but I'm suspecting B/S.
hyperv6
Racer

For anyone that had no clue of the energy department loans is the one who needs to get some enlightenment. 

FYI the future really needs the Bronco and Maverick to do well. They need the money to fund the EV programs. 

I just spent time with both and the new Ranger. Be prepared they took many quality shortcuts. Blown Bronco engines and leaking roofs see going to be the least of the issues. 

Insaw things that really show cost cutting. Floating calipers? Even my Canyon has 4 piston calipers. Rear seats that will not fold flat in the Ranger and Maverick? 

Oldroad1
Technician

Your correct about the $5.9B. You've failed to mention the interest and majority principle of the loan were paid off years ago and then the pandemic hit and they were able to arrange a legal stall in payments without penalties. They now owe $1.47B due to be paid out 6/22. Your claims are much to do about nothing, where as GM made $22B and lost $10.6B in 21 and owes $109.47B. Your claims of GM sainthood should be researched before the stones shatter your glass shelter.
hyperv6
Racer

Ford still has the loans out standing yet now. You did not even know anything about them. 

Yes Ford protested the GM and Chrysler loans because they never had that option since the banks were still loaning money. 

the Fact us they still owe $1.47 billion is still money owed. It may not be much to you but it is still money owed. 

GM turned over a large part of the company to the government. That was a big risk for both parties. 

The Obama people sold too soon and failed to get what they could have gotten if they had held on. They sold at $36 and could have nearly sold for twice that had they held out. Yes they could have made a lot of money. 

Not claiming saint hood here. GM had decades of major managment failures. But that is common as Ford and Chrysler both have not really set an example of good management either. 

Ford to be honest nearlybfsiled under HF1 due to his reluctance to move forward from the T model. 

Edsel was the only saving grace there and it may have killed him from the struggles with his father. 

HF2 nearly killed Ford several times due to his cluelessness. He was a total drunk and only was saved by Leedo. Then he went to war with him nearly crashing Ford again. They ten prospered under Peterson only to stall under Bill Fordcas he was he also had no clue. Since then it has been a mix of leaders with no real direction. At least Bill knew to get out of the way. 

But got the last few years with Ford stock below $9 a share only the Ford family owned majority saved their A$$ from buy out. 

To be honest all three companies survive because of the number of people they employed and the number of industries tied to it. 

I have never claimed GM was saints, you just not mad because I pointed out that Ford was no better. 

Oldroad1
Technician

Bla bla bla. Long winded explanations are just that. facts are facts. Ford's debt was handled, paid off in June this year. Genital Motors?
Oldroad1
Technician

Ya, if this thing goes the way of the Northstar with crank cage oil leaks and the cylinder head bolt time certs along with the oil abuse weather it be from leaks or passing. GM won't survive it.
SAG
Technician

Yikes.
I should roll the 'Rock' away from the door of my hiding space more often.
GeorgeWA
Intermediate Driver

This engine spec’s are amazing…it seems that the new Z06 will carry on the Corvette’s long tradition of providing ultra hi performance at a fraction of the price of its European competition
Oldroad1
Technician

Wouldn't call +80Gs a fraction.
TG
Technician

High pressure direct injection ... sodium filled valves... the line between the otto and Diesel engine get further blurred the closer we get to the alleged demise of internal combustion
jbarone01
Pit Crew

As the owner of new 2021 C-8 Convertible Corvette, I can hardly wait until the new C-8 Z-06 is available. I have my name on the "waiting" list for a new C-8 Z-06. It took a year to get the '21 Convertible; it was well worth the wait. The C-8 is an awesome car and this new engine will be the icing on the cake.
I currently own a C-7 Z-06 convertible and that still moves me like no other Corvette before it came along. And my two other Corvettes, a 1965 Big Block 396 cu in convertible beast and my slick 1969 convertible hold their own among Corvette of their vintage.
From older Vettes to the latest and greatest variation, these cars still inspire me when I am driving them or showing them at local PA car shows. Life is good when you are driving any Corvette. :<)
0luke1
Pit Crew

Where has this GM been hiding since roughly 1957?
Oldroad1
Technician

Am I correct in thought that the LT6 is the version powering the C8rs that were being out run by Porsche and Ferrari teams at Le Mans Sept 21 and Daytona Jan 22? If that is the case, why should anyone be impressed?
Oldroad1
Technician

Anyone here getting an Authentication Failure red flag when asking permission to reply on a post? Thus being locked out without explanation.
Oldsmobile1988
Intermediate Driver

Most of us will never see a ZO6 much less own one!! They are already allocated to high end Dealers and people like Rick Hendricks. But go ahead and place your money into the black hole of General Motors. And then hope for the best they treat us like a bunch of mice being sent through a maze!! Excuse me but aren't we the ones supporting these companies?
CanyonRed
Pit Crew

I'm sure that Chevy has taken this flat plane idea further in development from the Ford VooDoo flat plane, but without have the pistons directly opposed to one another, unwanted vibrations will always be an issue. This is why Ferrari uses the flat layout.
TristramBuckley
Pit Crew

How can I get one? I want to replace a Ferrari V8 with this Chevy!
Smithsonite
Intermediate Driver

I'm just glad I'll probably never have to work on this engine in my lifetime, since nobody within 1,000 miles of here would buy one, since our roads are such crap. This will be a FL / TX car. Knowing how GM builds stuff, I can only imagine the complexity inside this thing. Bet it's a nightmare to service. Hope it holds together for the buyer's sake!
DrWho
Intermediate Driver

The landmark was planted by the Honda S2000, 240HP from 2 liters, over 1HP per cc. The new Z06 achieves 1 HP per cc of displacement. Hmmmm. I sure wish GM would scale this tech down to 2 liters and a smaller more usable sports car larger than a Miata.

cactus
Pit Crew

These new-fangled automobiles will never replace the horse and buggy. Every town has a stable and a blacksmith shop. Do you see infrastructure all over the country to fuel and service these dangerous contraptions? I don't. Signed, Mr. 1895.
brb
Instructor

What as technological tour. Seven oil pumps, holy smokes! Great article.
rtbasey
Intermediate Driver

I ask one thing...would all the complainers and nay sayers please get your deposit back so I can get my car sooner?
JohninNC
Instructor

What if we cut it in half, detuned **bleep** (less high strung and lowered the HP), and emphasized torque through the lower RPM range. That would be pretty sweet in a little sleek wagon with a 6 speed stick. Hey a guy can dream! Or in a little 2+2 coupe that's a blatant copy of the 928.