cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Like bland cars? This immaculate, 405-mile Geo Metro will get your heart racing

"I have the nicest Chevy Metro in the whole wide world." Weird flex, sure, but next week we'll find out just how much someone is willing to pay for those bragging rights. The Bring a Trailer bid clock is currently ticking away on a 2000 Chevrolet Metro hatchback with just 402 miles on the odometer.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/like-bland-cars-this-immaculate-405-mile-geo-metro-...
26 REPLIES 26
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

Oh yeah this baby has a CD-player and a 5-speed manual. I used to joke that the old '90's Chevy Caprice Classic Wagons gave birth to Geo Metros.
MadamBlue91
Pit Crew

Lol, the Caprice wagons were way cooler though.
The_Eccentrics
Pit Crew

Greatness!
I love that many cars from the late 90's still had a stick available.
Many had a CD player and a Casette Deck.
Wedgehead
Intermediate Driver

"comes with an extensive service history". at 402 original miles it shouldn't have had any service history!
Tim
Instructor

A new fuel pump at less than 500 miles. I'm thinking this car best be left wrapped in plastic. 😄
Rider79
Instructor

Most likely, the toxically stale gas ruined it; I had this happen to a vehicle given to me, and which had not been driven for several years. It also ruined the injectors.
Tim
Instructor

I cannot understand the mindset of anyone willing to pay 5 figures for a Geo Metro in *any* condition. It's not like these were well-loved cars, high quality cars or even rare cars. These were cheap, bland appliances. Whatever it sells for, it will neither be a great investment for the buyer or seller. That $11K spent to purchase this vehicle would have netted far more if invested in the stock market (not even accounting for carrying costs such as insurance, etc.). And there's no way the auction winner is going to get any reasonable rate of return, either. Which leaves just one option: someone buying it for the love of the vehicle. But who is that? It's not exactly going to enlist a gasp of excitement when the garage door opens to reveal this special "barn find". 😄

I'm guessing one of the active bidders represents the GM auto museum. 🙂
SilentBoy741
Instructor

And they need a new doorstop.
77GL
Intermediate Driver

Most classics, especially the muscle car era, were considered disposable when new. It's their story and survival that makes them interesting.
Oldroad1
Technician

I haven't seen a Metro or a Storm on the road in years. Many years. These cars did not last.
Stevejatc63
Pit Crew

These fuel sippers have a cult like following most “car” people don’t even understand!!!
SilentBoy741
Instructor

405 miles & "extensive service history"... I don't think I've ever seen the Geo Metro summed up so succinctly.
mfp4073
Detailer

This will go high! Small cars are becoming rare, and the competition for them is on the rise. The only thing holding this one down is the color. Any color at all other than white would have been a bonus. I' ve been looking for nice Metro's for some time now, and I'm not alone.
Sajeev
Community Manager

I sure hope this breaks the 20k mark. Any museum piece with that mileage is worth at least that much these days.  

Oldroad1
Technician

Don't think your going to get many museum walk in amusement seekers with a Metro or Storm on the marque.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

A fool and his money….
TG
Instructor

Minka-the-cat
Pit Crew

I had a co-worker that had one of these and he loved it! Drove it long enough for it to need an engine overhaul and he opined that doing it was “one step above a lawn mower motor rebuild “.
His wife wrecked the car (and survived!) at around the ten year mark. He pined for the longest time over the loss. Great mileage, on regular gas with simplicity in design. For him, it was the perfect car.
tigercat
Intermediate Driver

Where I live out in the country, I like most drive faster than this thing would top out at. Cute but a death machine waiting to get ran over or pushed off the road. Remember Homer Simpson was after Ned Flanders and his kids on foot and was gaining on their Geo Metro. The kids were yelling hurry dad he is gaining on us and Ned told the kids he had it floored.
Oldroad1
Technician

This car with it's 1liter clatter box was about as durable as an ice cube sliding on 120F asphalt. Daihatsu's 1liter in my opinion is the best gasoline 3 cylinder ever produced. Even though the power numbers are almost the same, the Charade could get there much quicker and a whole lot smoother. To see the difference in the engine builds between the two just open up the rocker covers and look at the cam and valve trains. Just by that alone one can see the difference of design quality. That and fuel induction. The Charade's multipoint plenum injection compared to the Geo's single throttle body injection. I purchased a Charade in 1990 and I'm still driving it virtualy trouble free but to be forthright it did recently blow a head gasket. It took me a couple of days and $50 bucks to repair to get me behind the wheel again. No complaints.
farna
Advanced Driver

Well, the fuel pump went from age and non-use, which isn't a big surprise really. Things like that need to be run to prevent seals from drying up and such. I want a used Metro, but I don't want to preserve it! I want the drivetrain for a Morganesque three wheeler build... Still, I could see someone paying what would be a high amount for this car. In another 20 years it will be the only under 1000 mile example out there... a preserved piece of history. Close to $20K though ($18.5K 11/03/21 with one day to go)? That's a good bit higher than I expected. $12-15K maybe...
MattK
Detailer

The Current bid is at $18,200. Whew!
SilentBoy741
Instructor

There'd have to be $15,000 stashed in the trunk before I'd go that high.
Tinkerah
Technician

Well haters, the jokes are funny but I put 286K on one and it was still running well when the New England metal cancer kept it from passing inspection. Nothing ever went wrong with it that I didn't inflict on it myself. At $18K it's not much more than a new Chevy Spark (the cheapest new car according to a quick Google search) and it comes without all the maddening technology. In my state, a buyer would save even more; the sales tax would be based on the book value!
Rider79
Instructor

Junk new, junk now. And, it doesn't even have the good looks of the Storm to fall back upon. Someone sure had more money than good taste, or good sense.
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

The final bid: $18,200. With buyer premium included, that’s $19,110 according to an update in the news. A fool and his money...