cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Lawman Mustang: The Boss 429 sent to war in the Pacific | Hagerty Media

Ford might be a major supplier of police-service Tauruses and Explorers today, but back in the 1970s they supplied a handful of American promotional machines to a very different peace-keeping force. These "Lawman" cars toured the Pacific theater at several U.S. military bases. Just two of them made the journey home.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/lawman-mustang-boss-429-pacific/
27 REPLIES 27
Utopia1
Detailer

Why not recreate the original tour? I'm sure lots of service people would love to see it in action today...especially with its history!
Qw
Intermediate Driver

great story .Thanks for bringing it to public consumption!
chrlsful
Instructor

glad 2C original purpose will B served again
thebeebe5
New Driver

Rod to piston contact?
Tinkerah
Technician

That raised my eyebrow too. Later in the article valve to piston contact is mentioned, I'm sure that's what he meant.
thebeebe5
New Driver

It did drop a valve. I got to see it being built at Duffee’s. 

Eric
Hagerty Employee

Good eye, fixed!
tahend
Detailer

I bet a high percentage of servicemen who saw the cars in action went home after their tour and bought Mustangs.
DLP
Pit Crew

Some of us bought Mopars. 🙂
dd1
Intermediate Driver

Wonderful article. I admire Mr. Goldberg and the Lawman restoration crew for the respect and care they used as they lovingly restored this wonderful icon of history back to its glory days. This vehicle represents a time in our history that was truly the best and worst of times for so many people. This vehicle truly honors those courageous warriors who fought on our behalf defending our freedoms and liberties. It honors both those who returned and those who sadly did not. So many of these young men never got the chance to marry their high school sweethearts or raise a family. They never experienced the joy of a warm summer night's cruise in a shiny, new GTO, Mustang or Camaro. But no words, historical artifacts or items--however well-intentioned they may be--can truly capture the depth, breadth and scope of the sacrifices these young men made. God Bless each and every one of you!
Figuero
Intermediate Driver

Very well said.
PhilSchw
Pit Crew

Tanks dd1. Well said.
jd426
New Driver

An excellent article. I was very lucky to see, at the age of 12, Al Eckstrand and his American Commando team at Santa Pod Raceway in 1967. It was quite a revelation to see two brand new '67 383 Barracudas and also two new 390 Mustangs performing. Although for corporate reasons, they didn't against each other. Also present were Bud Barnes and Bob Gladstone's Ultra Sonic rail and Ron Jelinek's rail, replete with two injected 425 Buick nailhead engines. These both put on quite a show and it was truly, one of the best weekends of my life!. I'm still "at it" , running my '69 RR in our nostalgia super stock class.
yehmark
New Driver

I was part of the ACom. team. Did you see EJ Potter's Bloody Mary? Do you remember the '67 Vette?
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

WOW! It was a really different time in the automotive world back then. I can't imagine any current car manufacturer collaborating with the military on such a venture. It's also heartwarming to see such a beautiful restoration carried out to honor the servicemen who would have seen this car back in the day./ No doubt, many placed orders for Mustangs as a result! 🙂
Rob1
Instructor

@MoparMan agreed a different time and era that said the one manufacturer today that it would not surprise me would pull off something along those lines would be Mopar.What a great story and a fantastic tribute.R

mwmyers91
Detailer

That may be the ultimate muscle car of all time, and thats coming from a Mopar guy
tomkuhnjr
New Driver

Nothing wrong with that brother! In my early driving days when all my buds were driving mustangs and vettes, I had my 69 Charger and 70 Challenger...a dedicated Mopar Maniac! Now though I am enjoying my 6th mustang in a row...it's a 2003 SVT Terminator Cobra, but I still have much love and respect for my Mopar bros.
tomkuhnjr
New Driver

This Boss 429 is an amazing tribute to muscle cars of the past and what a few modifications can achieve in creating an awesome race car or street machine all the way up to present day. This has always been a great American tradition but now the government/epa is trying to take this right and freedom away from us! We all need to voice our protests and stick together to prevent this tragedy from happening. Support the RPM Act....and Long Live the Hot Rod!
Chriswpman
New Driver

The aircraft carrier that the mustang is being loaded on/off is the USS Coral Sea, sister ship to USS Midway that ship is now a museum in San Diego
Eric
Hagerty Employee

the USS Midway museum is WICKED. Was 100 percent the highlight of a San Diego trip i took several years ago, although there is an insanely cool model train museum/display in the basement of some building in Balboa Park.
1933ford
Intermediate Driver

Is it Haggerty's policy to simply copy and paste the articles without doing any proof reading? If so you may want to review that policy when you read this article!!!!!!!!!
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

"Haggerty's." You're a funny man.
brb
Advanced Driver

Another bit of history I didn't know. What a unique car. Great story!
WAB
Intermediate Driver

Small correction....Motor Wheel not Motor Wheels.....they were a major OEM wheel supplier to the industry and also made a couple of aftermarket wheels...the ones on the Mustang are called Spyder's. Rare wheels today. Great article.
SJ
Advanced Driver

Bob Hope should have drove it. Great article!
yehmark
New Driver

The trunk mounted radiator had the fan blades from my parents circa 1940's oscillating table fan. ( I was the "gopher" on the tour and wrote the press releases.)