cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

King of the bulls, the Miura is the most collectible Lamborghini for good reason | Hagerty Media

The words "Lamborghini" and "supercar" tend to go hand in hand. A subsidiary of Audi for more than 20 years and counting, Lamborghini delivered nearly 7500 vehicles worldwide in 2020 and over 8200 in 2019. Go for a stroll in a nice part of L.A.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/king-of-the-bulls-the-miura-is-the-most-collectible-lamborgh...
21 REPLIES 21
drjim
Detailer

The first car that took my breath away. I thought the XKE was pretty hot, and then the Miura came out.....

- Jim
Keefe
Pit Crew

w/the Urraco being the small, powerful Bull, the V-8 version of the Miura, they are a great value! It's the Junior and works easily in America.
hyperv6
Technician

I have someone I know with one of these. It is a show winner but he still drives it. Now that is what it is all about.

The car has little rear visibility but that matters little as you only need to worry about what’s in front of you!
Tinkerah
Technician

We've all heard one many times: Edward Van Halen's daily driven Miura on the hit Panama. A wedding gift to him from first wife Valerie Bertinelli. So many kinds of hot.
Keefe
Pit Crew

sounds like VB was trying to get him killed......

Tinkerah
Technician

I might've thought that myself but I've recently learned he was a capable recreational racer.
Gpopp
Pit Crew

When I was in the Air Force at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas in the late 60's, there was a guy who was brought one to the drag strip there. Don't remember the times he was turning but sound was awesome!
Futureman59
New Driver

The first time I saw a Miura in the flesh was at the, Concorso Italiano, out in Monterey, CA. -- 2010. It was that intense neon green and it just floored me! What a magnificent machine it is, and in that color -- breathtaking! It will be burned in my memory forever and remain coveted, but unobtainable.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

Brash exotic cars...and then mention Diablo and Aventador...but not Countach?!?!
RoadDog
Intermediate Driver

I'd take a Miura over a Countach any day, but I suppose it's a moot point. I did have a Fiat X1/9 back in the day, though. It takes more than four X1/9s to equal the horsepower of one P400!
RokemRonnie
Detailer

<i>"The Austin Mini revolutionized the world of compact economy cars with its transverse front-drive layout.... Lamborghini also fabricated a transaxle, mounted at the rear of the engine and in unit with the crankcase (like on a motorcycle), meaning the engine and gearbox shared the same oil supply."</i>

Thereby reproducing Sir Alec's biggest mistake with the original Mini. There is a reason why gearbox oil is 90 weight. Using the same lubrication system for an engine and transmission is not a good idea. The gears in the transmission chew up the polymers in the oil, along with adding tiny pieces of metal from gears grinding down, making engine lubrication less than ideal and the low viscosity engine oil just isn't durable enough for gearboxes.

Motorcycles can get away with it because they rarely put on the amount of miles that a car will endure and never work under the loads that a car will generate.
Oldman
New Driver

Back in the late 60s a Volkswagen dealer had one of these for sale for $9000 the price of 3 volkswagon beetles Knowing what they go for today should a could would a
drhino
Instructor

Also easily the best looking Lambo ever. Classic; elegant; purposeful and downright sexy!

The absurd excesses of wings and other tacked on crap eventually reduced the originally stunning Countach to a cartoon; like a 12 year old with an unlimited budget and a JC Whitney catalog was unleashed on it.
roadio55
Intermediate Driver

I recently came across the yellow Miura from Matchbox or Corgi my parents put in my Christmas stocking back in the '60's. It has a bull to display along with it. That's as close as I'll get to owning any Lambo.
UncleWillie
New Driver

Back in the early 80's I went to Washington D.C. and looked at Miura Orange with Black interior...Price was $25000 .... I bought a boat instead....
Geisenj
New Driver

Such an incredible work of art! I’ll never afford one but the lines on it did inspire me to get a 69 Stingray.
acooper529
Intermediate Driver

Sorry, but the headlights are... Not right?...an unfinished design?...goofy? and just don't belong on such an otherwise refined automobile. Flush covered concealed pop-ups would have done it.
mwmyers91
Detailer

Beauyiful
OldRoad
Instructor

Plenty of engine photos. I wanna see the transaxle. The article states the eng and transaxle are unitized and share lubrication, does that same lube protect the differential? This model is long before synthetic oils came about and I'm certain engine and transaxle must have produced some potentially fatal heat numbers. Not so much for the engine but dangerous for the transaxle and differential and yet, engine too if the tranny frags. Was the oil filtered and or directed into coolers before cycling into the transaxle? What were the viscosity numbers for lubrication? Did the trans have a pump or did it rely on the engine oil pump? I'm interested in knowing this info can anyone direct me to some text on these cars?
Maestro1
Instructor

I bought a used Urraco S from a Swiss Architect in San Francisco years ago, I remember it was cobalt blue with a tan interior, I had to put a clutch and a water pump in the thing, it was wonderful Andrew, a work of art on wheels, I drove it to work and other business almost every day and even in a supposedly sophisticated city it got a lot of attention, and was a killer regarding handling on California Freeways. I parked it in front of my office building so I could look at it. So did everybody else. Italian builders build cars with spirit, and are art on wheels. I would try to find another Urraco
but life is in the way as well as lack of space. Thank you for this.
JSievers
Detailer

Ghandini has penned many stunning vehicles, but IMO none even come close to the Muira. What sets this car apart are its stance, wide and low with curves in all the right places, combined with its large wheel/tire size in relation to the body. Lots of concept drawings (even today) show cars with wheels and tires that dominate the side view, but the Muira has real-world rolling stock that actually fills the wheel wells (and then some) while not interfering with the bodywork. Perhaps it is modern-day sacrilege to say that tall profile tires enhance the look of an exotic car, but I would argue that the Muira (and one of my other period favorites the Ferrari Daytona) supports my contention. Who cares if the initial Muira's aerodynamics (not a thing in 1965) were suspect? To this very day the Muira exemplifies for me what a high-performance exotic car should look like, and every time I see one my pulse increases like the first time.