cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep, sell, or toss? Thinning the parts stockpile is like prepping for a garage sale

While I resolutely deny that I am a hoarder, I’ll admit that I have certain hoarder-like tendencies. They derive from two events I participated in 32 years ago with my just-restored 1973 BMW 3.0CSi E9 coupe. To aid in that car’s restoration, I bought a wrecked 2800CS parts car and stripped it. Anyone who’s ever done this learns that an assembled car is the perfect vessel to hold its parts, and that when you strip it, the parts explode to a hundred times their original volume.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/keep-sell-or-toss-thinning-the-parts-stockpile-is-like-preppin...

View Entire Topic

Rob...I understand completely your dilemma!  For years, I have bought vintage parts lots to sort and sell.  A lot of work!  The goodies always sell quickly.  Then sales dwindle as stock is depleted and the lesser desirables are left.  I've always tried to keep a constant supply of newly acquired parts in stock.  Now in my 80s, I have ceased buying parts and am attempting to sell what I have left.  And, yes, I even give away parts!  I had one person to ask why I wanted to give away parts.  My reply"  "Because I can!"  There's always a sadness to see the parts go and a wonderment--"What will I do when they're all gone?"  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, eh, Rob?  jay salser

Pit Crew