cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Junk in the Trunk: Auto history's leading rear ends

Despite the proliferation of video chat and Zoom calls in recent history, the fundamentals of interpersonal communication involves face-to-face interaction. When it comes to automobiles, we aren't all that different. Manufacturers tend to design them "from the front," as people digest and judge a car's face above all else.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-design/junk-in-the-trunk-auto-historys-leading-rear-ends/
139 REPLIES 139
SAG
Technician

Buick Riviera
late '60s
[who doesn't recognize it]?
Robertgouwens
Pit Crew

59 Cadillac is king, 66 GTO most class.
Uncle_Doug
Intermediate Driver

The Riviera wins in my book, with the Corvette-style rear window bulge incorporated all the way to the rear bumper. Great styling !!!
LoudV8
Intermediate Driver

Any year 1960's Cadillacs and 65-68 Sunbeam Tigers
WidjumP
New Driver

I'm SORRY, but Porsche 928.......
Aquay_Mizmo
Detailer

The 66 LeMans / Tempest gets my #1 vote, 59 Impala would be 2nd, 67 Chevelle 3rd.
TG
Gearhead

Auburn%20Fall%202019_3112-2_Chevrolet_1972_Corvette_Convertible_1Z67K2S524017_O

I always liked the early C3 rear... my later C3 came to me with no rear bumper and I considered modifying it with the older style until I discovered they are much more integrated into the body than my rubber baby buggy bumper

boslapet
New Driver

It seems you think US automakers have some sort of monopoly on impressive rear ends.
It may be time for you to widen your scope and consider some euro bootys like the 1990's Porsche 993 turbo and 928 GTS, but also the 1955 MB 300SLR..... there's a whole other world out there.
DUB6
Racer

Funny how in some posts about some Hagerty lists, some people complain that the staff have a fixation on European cars.  Now we get the opposite comment - "you guys need to widen your scope!"

Sigh.  It must seem like a thankless task to be a staff writer and try to please such a diverse readership as there is on this community.  🙄

Diego
Advanced Driver

The story wasn't about impressive rear ends.

But I'm happy to point out that neither the Ogle SX1000, Panhard Dyna, Ford Taunus P17, or OSCA 1600 GT appear to have been designed from the rear as much as the front.
GoFaster
Detailer

1968 Dodge Charger, and 1968-1969 Ford Torino GT fastback.
JerV8Flat4
Intermediate Driver

They’ll never make a top-10 list, but the ‘63-‘64 Nova SS and ‘65-‘69 Corvairs with the silver trunk cove and killer back glass are really nice.
MYTFAST
Intermediate Driver

makes you wonder whose authoring these articles..... not the kind of rears me & my buddies were interested in!!!!
Diego
Advanced Driver

Funny, I had the same thought about the commenters.
RickL
Advanced Driver

The early Panteras with the upswept pipes and the rear differential showing. Better yet, stand behind one when running, oh the sound.
Roundhouse
Detailer

1966 Thunderbird
mfs66
Pit Crew

2021 Porsche 911
MoparMarq
Advanced Driver

'59 Impala for sure(for the fin shape). 67 GTO for the taillights. 70 Superbee and 70 Road Runner for the taillights. The early C3 Vette for the overall picture (the chrome bumpers really provide a nice contrast and enhancement to the look). The 71 Riviera without question. In fact, I may have to go buy a DVD copy of "Fletch" just to get my fix. (My car just hit a water buffalo - can I borrow your towel?)
fotogmike
Detailer

What??!! No CTS coupe?

(just kidding!)
plank
Detailer

Thought provoking read...I enjoy it when responses are as (or more) interesting than the article. Good job Diego.
Diego
Advanced Driver

Thank you!
AngryBird
New Driver

Thunderbirds 1960 to 1966 are some of the most iconic, distinctive and large rear end treatments of all vintage cars IMHO.
Pantera1042
Pit Crew
Pantera1042
Pit Crew

Tried to add a photo lol

Sajeev
Community Manager
trekrider70
New Driver

Auburn may not have invented the boattail, but they made it perfect. There is nothing better than an 851. The '66 LeMans is second. Dream about the Auburn and regret selling the LeMans.
spozdol
New Driver

My Dad had a 57 Lincoln. Now there was some sheet metal!
okfoz
Advanced Driver

I am rather partial to the 66/67 Riviera booty. I wish Bill could have had his A-body Boat tail Riviera.
JPTL
Intermediate Driver

The curvy bumperless rear end of the Porsche 928 was something nobody had seen in 1978....
TeeeeJayyyy
Pit Crew

I feel snubbed, j/k. I would put up the rear end of my 68 Mercury Cougar against any of them, imho.
Dantheman
Pit Crew

A Chevy Styleline is currently listed for sale modified with an early 1950's Bentley Radiator/Grille. the creator thought the Chevy reminded him of the Bentley.
I didn't see either car mentioned in the story. Go figure!
Maybe next time?!
landt
New Driver

Porsche Boxster. In fact, most Porsches.
Smeghead
New Driver

Ok, so it's a concept car, but the Oldsmobile F88 didn't have fins as such, more like jet pods, the dual "fishtail" exhausts, and the chrome bumper strips made it suitable for Buck Rogers...
2004JAGxj8
Intermediate Driver

Used to be time when you knew that car coming down the street was a Jaguar or a BMW or a Chevy or a Ford. Now, sadly in most cases, the styling creativity seems lost and cars within their own categories all look the same. No wonder we crave vehicles of the past.
Diego
Advanced Driver

Disagree. Back in the day, there was an editorial complaining about contemporary cars and how they all look the same and won't ever be collectible like greats from the 1930s.

Guess how many 1966 American cars are strong collectibles today?
jdwilker
Pit Crew

How about the '57 - '59 Ford Skyliner? Have you seen the size of that rear end? They needed all that to get the top into. I tell folks "That's not a trunk lid, it's a helipad".
farna
Instructor

65-66 AMC Marlin. Actually the low production one year only 67 Marlin is probably the best...
Juanchico
New Driver

If this article was about beautiful interiors then the early Rivvies would win hands down, having said that I like the rear but the 59 Chevs are gorgeous.
Rivman72
New Driver

Earlier this year, I finally got the opportunity to acquire a boattail Riv. Mine's a '72, vintage red, with a white interior. I've loved the style of these cars since I first laid eyes on one as a kid back in the 70's. Almost every time I drive it, I feel like a minor celebrity. Most people don't know what it is, but they all know a good looking a*** when they see one!
Randy99
New Driver

Any Lincoln Mark