cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

JFK’s “other Lincoln” is a Continental of a different color—and it’s for sale

People of a certain age are all too familiar with the 1963 Lincoln Continental. Not because they once dreamed of riding in or owning one, but because of what happened in Dallas on November 22, 1963.

President John F. Kennedy and First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy were riding in a black ’63 Continental limousine, along with Texas governor John Connally and Connally’s wife, Nellie, when shots rang out in Dealey Plaza, killing JFK and seriously wounding the governor. What many people may not know is that the Kennedys were chauffeured in two different Lincolns on that fateful day—the black one, of course, and a white Lincoln that transported the couple and John Connally to Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth earlier that morning ... Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/jfks-other-lincoln-is-a-continental-of-a-different-color/

6 REPLIES 6
JeffWeimer
Pit Crew

So this is the last car JFK got out of.

RhoMue
Passenger

The flag post on the original picture are temporary and connected to the fenders sides; the current vehicle has them mounted on the fenders tops. I assume this was done later.

Maestro1
Instructor

I have always loved these cars. I don't have the room for one but I'm in negotiations with

another landlord who is not an idiot for more space. I had the pleasure of owning a '66 sedan which got sold to a neighbor and my only complaint was that with all those horses under the hood the car was slow off the line. Obviously one is meant to motor in these cars, not go blasting off at the green light or whatever, but still. Anyway, I want another one. As soon as I get a good lease and space I'm off on the search for one......thanks for this.

mikeauto
New Driver

I owned one for almost 10 years. It came out of Ohio and was in Northern Minnesota when I purchased it. It had a differential leak which I had fixed in Duluth as we drove back to Anniston, AL. Unfortunately it didn't get fixed correctly so I had to pour more oil in it every 200 -250 miles all the way back to Anniston. To top it off the oil pan sprang a leak and sprayed oil onto the alternator shorting it out. I had to use an electric cleaner to keep it working. Needless to say we were driving on Sunday and into Monday morning. Made it back though! What a couple of days!
mikeauto
New Driver

A 1963...
chrisbye
Pit Crew

At the National Automotive Museum in Reno there is a white Lincoln described as

"1962 Lincoln Continental 86, Convertible White House car assigned to President John F. Kennedy."

I read where the dark blue color was chosen to look black at night, and blue during the day.