cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Jet Age meets Information Age with this record Olds sale

Ever since people started moving cars on eBay, the timed internet auction has been a part of the automotive ecosystem. Only in the past couple of years, though, has that format really exploded for the collector market.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/jet-age-meets-information-age-with-this-...
11 REPLIES 11
DUB6
Gearhead

This is an outstandingly nice looking car (at least in pictures).  But would I pay $50K+ for it?  Not hardly.

JAG
Detailer

61 Starfire is even more a piece of art. The rear bumper and tail light design are factory custom. These cars had top of the line interior treatments not seen anywhere else. Sorry they didn't make Starfire's in coupes in 61, then it would have also been a bubble top car. 62 coupe could have been one as well...then it would be easily worth $50K+, look at 61-62 bubbletop Bel Air value.
hyperv6
Engineer

This car appears to be in better condition than new. The paint was never this good back in the day.
MATTMERICA
Technician

Maybe they have a filter on the pictures, but I was thinking the same thing lol
I also thought that $56k for a big red shiny car isn't really news worthy after seeing what people have been blowing their covid/PPP money on
Patrician
Intermediate Driver

I had a 1962 Olds Starfire convertible. What beautiful car. Fast for its size. I have 25 cars and ran out of garage space and had to let it go. I sold it about 28 years ago and got $12,500 for it then. So $50,000 now isn't so bad. It's an extremely hard car to restore because body trim was impossible to find even back then. The over-riding decision to sell the car was the Slim Jim transmission it used. It was just a matter of time before it would go bad. When these cars were new and used as daily driver's the trans would last 2-3 years if you were lucky. The unique aspect of the car it was built on a Dynamic 88 small chassis with all the crossmembers in the center removed to lighten the car. Then Olds put in the 345 horsepower Ninety -Eight motor. That's why it was so fast. This car would burn rubber until you took your foot off the gas. Great fun car.
FlyingDutchman
New Driver

Shortly after the 1961 model year Oldsmobiles were released, our neighbor bought the first (and perhaps only) Starfire in Sioux City, Iowa. As he was playing back for us all the selling points he’d heard, the “hand-detailed and triple-inspected quality control” fell flat when we reached the rear of the car. There, emblazoned across the trunk of this flagship vehicle was the brand name: OLDSMOBIBE. One of those precision hand-detailers in Lansing had inserted a “B” where the “L” was needed and all those best-in-the-industry inspectors had missed it. The proud one-of-a-kind owner never let the embarrassed dealer swap out that B. (And it was handy leverage for a little extra post-service inspection at each service appointment.) But what a car…
TA76
Detailer

Fantastic cars. My Dad made many of the dies used for this car.
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

I love it. The color and the interior are fantastic. Beyond what I would pay for it but I'm not the market for this thing.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

The vast majority of vehicles sold on BaT these days, are bought by people with too much $$$, and too few 🧠s.
DUB6
Gearhead

Okay, so if I'd like to have too much $$$, I've gotta lose some more 🧠s?  How do people with few 🧠s manage to accumulate too much $$$?  Isn't that counterintuitive?  However, using reverse-engineering, I surely do have too few $$$, which must mean I have a crap ton of 🧠s, right?  Okay, I guess I'm good with that.  😉

SJ
Instructor

Uncle had one, what a beautiful car, shame the salt ate it up in no time.