cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep wins legal ruling over Mahindra, but the Roxor battle goes on

If you’ve ever seen a Mahindra Thar, you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s a clone of the Jeep CJ-7, because that’s what it is. Mahindra has a license from Jeep to build and sell the Thar in India, and a relationship between the companies has existed for decades. What Mahindra does not have, however, is a license to sell the Thar in the United States. To maneuver around that legal speed bump, Mahindra changed the grille, called it the Roxor, and built a plant in Michigan to assemble them and distribute them for sale in the United States. Unsurprisingly, Jeep wasn’t too keen on Mahindra selling Roxors in the United States, even if they weren’t street legal and were competing in the side-by-side market, rather than the passenger vehicle market.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/jeep-wins-legal-ruling-over-mahindra-but-the-roxor-battle-goes-on...

Replies (4)

Replies (4)

Design a tub that looks like an old Scout.

That would be a neat off-road only throwback, and who even owns the rights to sue (or care)?

Even funnier would be for Mahindra to licence the old Suzuki bodies/looks. I think those would sell actually...

Detailer

If the Roxor looked and handled anything like the FCA (Jeep) Wrangler models, they might have a leg to stand on. Maybe if Roxor tried to make them street legal they should be concerned. I think that's the real concern -- that they sell enough to consider going through the rigamarole to get street legal certification.  But the Roxor isn't a real competitor to street Jeeps. There is a reason the old CJs were discontinued. Don't get me wrong, as a utility vehicle that can be used on and off road they are great! But people don't use them for that much anymore -- they are more highway vehicles, and the old CJs are NOT real good highway vehicles. Rough riding, noisy, and not real comfortable either. Doesn't matter if you love your CJ enough to put up with all the faults and drive it daily for long commutes -- almost ANY little sedan would be better suited to the task. I know, "but it's not a Jeep!!" "It's a Jeep thing" is real, and I get it. My 57 year old Rambler station wagon, even though it's had many updates to make it a more suitable driver (not restored, obviously), isn't as good a road car as a modern sedan. Jeep CJs go back to the 1940s, and though improved over WWII models, they aren't that far removed from them.

Intermediate Driver

New version looks like Toyota grille on a Jeep.

New Driver

Chrysler bought Jeep when? In the 1980's? Marinda has been building Jeeps since 1947 so I believe that  they have every right to sell the Roxor. after all they have been building them for 40 years longer then FCA. Not to mention that they are built better and tougher for about half of the price. We all know that the Wrangler is overpriced and this just proves it. The owner of an area Jeep dealer bought a Roxor for exactly that reason. 

Pit Crew